Item Development - Information

"
I have mixed feelings about oskills like this. I love the idea of the item and the way it's done but it takes away a bit of diversity. Players who want to go Icestorm can only do by using this staff.
Without this item, they would have zero options for a weapon in an Icestorm build, and would not be able to make that build at all. With it, they have one option for a weapon (and can build their other gear differently based on their preference), and can make the build. This has literally only added build diversity.
"
Hodari wrote:
Any idea how common a drop this will be?

"
NickK_GGG wrote:
And if we give exact values on the item, given the other method of scaling damage, it risks becoming a very difficult item to assess. When assessing the item internally, there was a desire to signal the attribute scaling on the item, to help players better assess its potential power.

I think it will be a bit rarer than the uniques listed above, more like Goldrim or so.

Oh my god......

my 1500 int witch I made as joke with the money from a sold Drillneck final has a purpose in life.

cats/10
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
This seems really nice, but I just hope it's quite common in rarity, otherwise it's not relevant at all to me. Mjolner was the last unique to hype me in vain, now I just do like these are not in the game.
Tooltips were always incredibly bad in PoE. The worst offender for me is Lightning strike display.

I see not much has changed.
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.

"
NickK_GGG wrote:
but when it comes to ensuring players have the right amount of information, we become passionate.

Sorry but I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

GGG is atrocious when it comes to giving players relevant understandable information in game. As a dev you might understand the GGG jargon, but most people dont.
Ascension tied to Lab is the worst thing GGG has done...apart from GGG's philosophy on Trading. Oh and Gambling Loot boxes. And selling out to tencent.

I used to love GGG. I supported to ensure GGG remained independent, now I just wish I could get my money back. -_-
I firmly disagree that Zahndethus' Cassock or Lori's Lantern are clear enough with their tooltips. Looking at the Cassock, I have no way of knowing whether the effect is defensive, offensive or both, and would actually lean on it being offensive, given several examples from other games.

With Lori's, again the effect might be either defensive or offensive. Maybe it gives enemies a chance for critical fumbles, or perhaps they get struck by lightning. Still, I would lean on it being defensive, but even then I would expect a reduction in accuracy or critical change, which are more commonly associated with luck, not damage.

In a game where nearly every item and skill is clearly defined and keyworded, these items stand out, and should be improved.
Since the only way to get the skill is through the staff itself and as we know alot of spells gain their damage based on their level so in this case where there would be no gem, would it be a system where the staff or the gem level is raised as you progress in the game? i think that would be a cool idea but im just throwing it our there.
Awesome! Uniques that "create" builds are the best type of uniques! ^^

"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Apr 8, 2015, 1:56:33 AM
thx for the insights, especially the ice storm example should give new players an incentive to read item descriptions more carefully and look into them more deeply.

"
NickK_GGG wrote:
If someone asked me what Path of Exile's greatest strength was, I'd answer with just one word:

reading you speaking in the past gave me a chill without getting hit by ice storm.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info