[3.0] NeverSink's ♣ INDEPTH Tornado&Archer Guide ♣ Beginner friendly ♣ Rapid clear ♣ All bosses

Is it ok to use Storm Cloud untill you get the Harbringer bow or you can get a better unique before that?
"
Is it ok to use Storm Cloud untill you get the Harbringer bow or you can get a better unique before that?

Hi there.

I will answer your question at the bottom of this post but first I would like to explain something basic about this game to you :)

As an attack based build (a bow build) you are scaling some type of damage. This confuses a lot of new players a lot and they make a lot of mistakes when it comes to which type of scaling they should do.

When it comes to bow builds there are (generally speaking) two different types of damage scaling.

(1) Scaling of FLAT physical damage physical damage. This could be a Harbinger Bow or a Lioneye's Glare. The important thing with those builds is the amount pDPS (physical damage per second) they do.
The actual damage you end up doing with this kind of bow is not necessarily physical. Why? Well if you use a hatred aura it will give you extra cold damage based of the amount of physical damage you are doing. You could also use a Physical to Lightning gem which would convert your physical damage into lightning.

This kind of build and bow scales of physical nodes but only sometimes ends up doing physical damage. Does this make sense :)?

(2) Scaling of FLAT elemental damage. This is the type of bows like Storm Cloud (look at Storm Cloud. It does 0 pDPS but a lot of eDPS), Windripper or Voltaxic Rift. They have very low (or none) physical damage but high elemental damage (Edps - elemental damage per second).

You can scale these kinds of builds with elemental damage and weapon elemental damage. You could also scale them with lightning damage if you did a lot of lighting damage (for instance if you were using Storm Cloud).

If you use a Hatred Aura with a Voltaxic Rift or a Storm Cloud it would give a very small bonus or even none at all. Why ? Well even though Hatred is an aura that gives you elemental damage it scales of physical damage. Therefore it's an elemental aura that's really good with physical builds and really bad with elemental builds. Confusing right? On the other hand a Wrath aura would scale very well with a build that scales of elemental damage and (typically) not work very well with a build that scales of physical damage.

What I have written above is the general rule of thumb. There are many ways to convert damage in this game which means there are a lot of exceptions to this rule but I would advice you to learn the basics before going into that.

Why did I write this to you? Because what you are asking is essentially: Can I level with bow build type 2 and then go into bow build type 1 later?

You can. But I would certainly not recommend this for a new player that has little experience. You would most likely end up using a lot of respeccing points, making mistakes with gear choices and have a bad time.

My advice:

If you play with Storm Cloud stick with an elemental build that SCALES and end up with an elemental bow such as Windripper or Voltaxic Rift. You could also use the Tempest (upgraded Storm Cloud).

If you want to want to end up using a Harbinger look for rare bows with high pDPS so your build scales of flat physical damage.

I hope this helps. New players often have a hard time knowing the distinction between these two different types of builds.
Last edited by Frankenberry on May 8, 2017, 12:29:15 PM
thank you for replying. But if i wanted to play with a elemental bow (Voltaxic rift for example) would i have to make some major changes on a skilltree?
"
thank you for replying. But if i wanted to play with a elemental bow (Voltaxic rift for example) would i have to make some major changes on a skilltree?

Yup. Changes in skilltree and Gear choices =) I don't know which the numerous skillstree's / gear options in this guide you are aiming for but different items are needed for an elemental scaling build vs. a physical scaling build but you need to adapt.
Last edited by Frankenberry on May 8, 2017, 1:11:37 PM
Is one of these types of damage "better" than the other one? For example in dps numbers?
I am currently playing a level 77 physical scaling Raider based on life. Now I want to change the skilltree and gear towards energy shield.

In this context I am wondering if I can get the highest dps with physical damage and converting to lightning or if I should respec into elemental damage.

Kaudderwelsch
"
Kaudderwelsch wrote:
Is one of these types of damage "better" than the other one? For example in dps numbers?
I am currently playing a level 77 physical scaling Raider based on life. Now I want to change the skilltree and gear towards energy shield.

In this context I am wondering if I can get the highest dps with physical damage and converting to lightning or if I should respec into elemental damage.

Kaudderwelsch

Neither are better than the other one. They are just different.
Last edited by Frankenberry on May 8, 2017, 4:50:01 PM
Does one of these have a better synergie with a ES build than the other? And where is the difference between a physical Build with Tornado Shot and an elemantal build with Tornado Shot and Windripper for example?
"
Kaudderwelsch wrote:
Does one of these have a better synergie with a ES build than the other? And where is the difference between a physical Build with Tornado Shot and an elemantal build with Tornado Shot and Windripper for example?

Both styles work fine with CI.
There aren't really any gameplay differences between the two styles. There are differences on how to scale damage (gear choices, gem choices, etc. etc. etc.). And that's more or less it.
what green gem does he mean with conc on blast rain?
"
Jonesman2485 wrote:
what green gem does he mean with conc on blast rain?

Concentrated effect. He just made a mistake with the color.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info