Arachnophobia / No-Spider option

i have fobia that tooo but seriouslys its ingame....they arent real....
Guess some people just like being "special snowflakes" and do nothing to change themselves. Just waste precious time of other people. In this case distracting GGG from making new game content for all of us
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Aug 19, 2014, 3:23:00 PM
"
Asidra wrote:
"
TiltedAxis wrote:
"
Asidra wrote:
I find this more interesting as an academic exercise than anything else. If you don't have a phobia, you can't really understand someone else's phobia. And if someone has arachnophobia - they are crazy afraid of spiders. OK.

But these are not spiders - they are digital images on a screen that are obviously not real. I am surprised to learn that the phobia still holds true for them.

In general, I'd not be a fan of someone asking someone else to change something to accomodate something specific to their oddness. But he asked nicely, wasn't demanding. And now GGG can decide if they want to invest the time to change it or not. Not really our business to commment or pass judgement.

Bullshit, you say you're not a fan of someone asking to change something to accomodate something specific to their oddness, but suddenly your ok with it if they... ask nicely?

glad to know your values on things are entirely dependent on the way they are presented and not the actual content, you sound like a very stable person.

Furthermore, I don't need to have a particular phobia to understand having problems, everyone has problems, there is a huge difference between having a problem and either dealing with it or trying to overcome it than to try to change other people to fit their own personal comfort.

Doesn't GGG have the right to be made aware of the issue, assess the likelyhood there may other people in the situation - assess any positive or negative financial impact should they or they not make changes - and make their business decision accordingly? Perhaps his situation isn't uncommmon and the changes to accomodate are inexpensive, thus making their company more profitable by making the changes. How would they know to even research the viability from their end unless the issue was brought to their attention. As someone who has owned a business in the past I would rather people speak up - so that I can analyze the situation and make my decision. If they don't ask - I don't know - and I don't assess anything.

He wasn't demanding, or something ridiculous like threatening to get the ACLU inolved because his mental health rights are being violated. He asked. GGG can make their business decision. What do you care?

[Removed by Support] it isn't just a business to them, its an artistic creation, [Removed by Support], you can change the policies of a business for profit all you god damn want, asking someone to change an artistic creation for their own personal comfort is incredibly offensive. you clearly are a businessman [Removed by Support]

For god's sake, they aren't even charging for their product, you honestly believe its just a business about comparing profits? [Removed by Support]
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Aug 20, 2014, 8:25:59 AM
Honestly don't see the problem with this.

Arachnophobia isn't that uncommon and there's no shortage of games where, usually through mods, there's options to change spiders into something else.

It's a simple straight-forward request and as far as feedback goes it's hard to imagine something that's easier to convert into a user story for feeding into the development pipeline (probably into the icebox on indefinite hold though).

That alone makes it valuable enough to be worth knowing.

I hope GGG is keeping an internal list for QoL improvements like this, even if there's rarely time for them such a list can be immensely valuable in the long-term.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
"
Gobla wrote:
Honestly don't see the problem with this.

Arachnophobia isn't that uncommon and there's no shortage of games where, usually through mods, there's options to change spiders into something else.

It's a simple straight-forward request and as far as feedback goes it's hard to imagine something that's easier to convert into a user story for feeding into the development pipeline (probably into the icebox on indefinite hold though).

That alone makes it valuable enough to be worth knowing.

I hope GGG is keeping an internal list for QoL improvements like this, even if there's rarely time for them such a list can be immensely valuable in the long-term.

Hemophobia is popular too, should we add an option to disable all blood and gore?

where does it end

its one thing to downplay a phobia, which is one issue, but its not even a real spider, it doesn't count, sorry.
Last edited by TiltedAxis on Aug 19, 2014, 3:50:07 PM
"
TiltedAxis wrote:

[Removed by Support] it isn't just a business to them, its an artistic creation, [Removed by Support], you can change the policies of a business for profit all you god damn want, asking someone to change an artistic creation for their own personal comfort is incredibly offensive. you clearly are a businessman [Removed by Support]

For god's sake, they aren't even charging for their product, you honestly believe its just a business about comparing profits? [Removed by Support]

You are delusional if you don't think GGG is first and foremost a business. It's the livelihood of a lot of people. It pays for the food on their tables, their mortgages etc. even if it is a labor of love for some of them. And having a "mod" where spiders become something else, by option, to appease a small percentage of the playerbase isn't hindering their art.

If it takes 1 day of dev time at a cost of $200 to toss some other model over the spiders and a button to enable it. And the this dude goes and tells his arachnophobia gaming buddies and GGG gets 10 weird customers who pay about $100 a year in micro transactions - GGG should be sending a thank you card to the same person you are berating.

You don't own POE - you don't get to make the call of what will or will not offend GGG. You might be offended, but that is highly irrelevant as his request was not being made to you.

My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Aug 20, 2014, 8:27:50 AM
Asidra does make a good point, I think you may have gone a little overboard there TitledAxis!

Firstly, your point about them not charging for their 'art' is invalid, as the go-to business model for games like this is free to play with micro transactions. If GGG thought they could release the game using a different model (like charging per copy) then they may have. But it's still a business.

You are correct though when you say it is also art, as to them its a massive life-long project I imagine and most certainly is their art, but most definitely a business first.

And Asidra you are also correct in what you say about those numbers, but it doesn't stop people like myself and others from having a problem with the OP and we are all entitled to our opinions.
Asidra,

GGG might spend x amount of time to please like 10 or so people who have arachnophobia. But by doing this GGG would remove x amount of time working on content which pleases tens of thousands of players.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
"
Asidra wrote:
"
TiltedAxis wrote:

You are delusional if you don't think GGG is first and foremost a business. It's the livelihood of a lot of people. It pays for the food on their tables, their mortgages etc. even if it is a labor of love for some of them. And having a "mod" where spiders become something else, by option, to appease a small percentage of the playerbase isn't hindering their art.

If it takes 1 day of dev time at a cost of $200 to toss some other model over the spiders and a button to enable it. And the this dude goes and tells his arachnophobia gaming buddies and GGG gets 10 weird customers who pay about $100 a year in micro transactions - GGG should be sending a thank you card to the same person you are berating.

You don't own POE - you don't get to make the call of what will or will not offend GGG. You might be offended, but that is highly irrelevant as his request was not being made to you.

For starters, businesses charge for the goods and/or services they provide. GGG does not. It's not a business by any means, its more of a charity ,all of their money is made through donations and they provide a service free of charge. Thats not a business by any definition.

It is your donations that pay for their food & mortgages.

Secondly, none of their game design decisions have been influenced by what will make them money, supporting the first point that its not a business, and also that it is art to them.

Finally, I didn't say what would offend GGG, i said it was offensive, because it IS offensive.
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Aug 20, 2014, 8:28:16 AM
TiltedAxis,

I am on your side in this topic, but asidra is right - this is a bussiness for GGG. "grinding gear games" is a company which makes profit out of creating game for customers - us.

BUT, to be more specific this is a bussiness which GGG loves doing and feels passion to it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info