Arachnophobia / No-Spider option

"
Toshis8 wrote:
"
pengant wrote:
hahahahaha.

Sorry about your fear of spiders man, but this is so stupid.

If you can't cope with the spiders you go play something else, you don't ask the developers to add a graphics option to their client that will benefit 1 person.....LOL

Well, i am sure that there is more than one person, but imagine this:

Someone who is afraid of dark would ask to make the game brightly lit;
Someone who is afraid of water would ask to remove water from game;
Someone who has claustrophobia would ask to remove walls in game.
and so on

Into what the game would turn? Honestly, its hard to believe that fear is so huge, that someone cant play a video game with fake 3D spider models. Dont be "attention whores", man up :)

I'm sure there's more than 1 person who doesn't like spiders. I'm pretty sure there's only one person who thinks his fear gives him entitlement to special treatment instead of just accepting it or playing something else.

Do people with this fear ask movie producers to CGI out the spiders or do they simply not watch the film.

LOL at this thread tbh.
Seeing as this isn't the first thread on this subject, and one of the previous threads made it 10 pages, I'd say that this may be something that GGG could look into, if it isn't too costly on development time.

One option would be to set a flag that replaces spider assets with spitters.
Another could be to duplicate all of the spider entries in the monster DBs, and have them point to the spitter assets, then have a flag to swap between the original spider entries and the newly created entries.

For those afraid of heights, watch this, full screen, on a large monitor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgO4Gd4RhvM Were you affected by it, even though it wasn't real?
Last edited by CycloneJack on Aug 19, 2014, 10:19:58 AM
10 pages of lol's no doubt.

As other guy said, if this change goes through where does it end. Everyone with a phobia of something will want it changed.

Can't these people either man up or play something else instead.
It's possible to cure yourself of phobias. Most forms of phobia therapy involve exposing yourself to your fear in a controlled way that you can realize they won't hurt you. A game is the perfect "safe" environment to encounter spiders.

Force yourself to play and kill spiders in-game and cure yourself of your phobia.

Don't hassle the rest of us to put a bandaid on your problem that won't actually solve anything, god forbid you see a real spider near your computer...
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
Well said.

And yea phobias are just irrational fears and therefore have been put in place by your mind and can be undone with your mind.

Rational people are not scared of heights because they understand they are safe when up high and rational people aren't too scared to play a game with spiders in because they realise the spiders are not real. LOL (sorry I still find this very amusing)
Last edited by pengant on Aug 19, 2014, 10:04:48 AM
"
demivion wrote:
It's possible to cure yourself of phobias. Most forms of phobia therapy involve exposing yourself to your fear in a controlled way that you can realize they won't hurt you. A game is the perfect "safe" environment to encounter spiders.

Force yourself to play and kill spiders in-game and cure yourself of your phobia.

Don't hassle the rest of us to put a bandaid on your problem that won't actually solve anything, god forbid you see a real spider near your computer...

True.

When i think about phobias, i think about this. For example, someone who has arachnophobia isnt physically incapable of touching spider. Look, many people touch spiders and they are completely fine. If you're afraid of spiders, problem is just in your mind AND if you cant handle your mind - you are weak.

Personally i am not afraid heights, but still, when i am very high or near the edge, i feel a little "uncomfortable". But this doesnt stop me from being at high locations, because I CAN handle my mind, i know that i can do it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
I think it is a cost/benefit issue. What is the cost to implement, and what would be the benefit? Would more people play? Would those that do play because of the change spend money? A similar issue is the hate over the HP/MP statues on the UI. If GGG spent the time to make new UI elements for those, then they felt that the cost/benefit ratio was worth the investment. If in 1.3 or 1.4, we see an Arachnophobia option, then GGG felt the ratio was worth it.

If the game was not online-only, then I'm sure modders would have already made the change. Since it is not, it is up to GGG to make the change, and the only way they can know that people want it is for those people to speak up.

"
pengant wrote:
As other guy said, if this change goes through where does it end. Everyone with a phobia of something will want it changed.

This is true, which is why it is up to GGG to make that decision. As long as the changes do not have any impact on the gameplay, then I have no issues with GGG making options to allow the game to be more friendly to various phobias. Turning spiders into spitters, graphically, would have no impact on how the game plays. Removing walls, on the other hand, has a significant change to gameplay.

"
pengant wrote:
Can't these people either man up or play something else instead.

Like what? Diablo 3? LOL I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. That's like telling someone who wants to play Soul Caliber to play Smash Bros instead.

Grim Dawn is an option, but it is still in development, and it too has spiders. I'm sure they will be modded out shortly after the game launches and the editor becomes available.
"
Toshis8 wrote:
Sorry if i might sound ignorant, but is that fear of spiders so huge that you cant even play a game where spiders aren't real? Its not like touching a real spider. I am sure that there are people who are afraid of water and drowning, but i have never ever seen anyone asking to remove water from game. It seems like you are exaggerating it.

My GF is afraid of heights, and she plays videogames. Whenever there is a shot from a very high place or she needs to fly or smthn in that game, she just releases the keyboard and mouse and closes her eyes...And she is actually not THAT afraid in real life and it's pretty crazy ingame. So I guess that people with arachnophobia can be REALLY afraid even of "not real" spiders.
new сute model
Spoiler

Whilst I agree with what you say CycloneJack and it is a numbers thing and for GGG to decide whether it's worth it or not, it doesn't solve the problem for these people with phobias. As the other guy pointed out the game is a perfect place for them to prove to themselves that they can overcome their phobia - it's one of a few steps they can take to overcome it, first killing spiders in a game, then maybe touching one in real life etc etc.

Just because they are irrational i don't see why they feel they are entitled to changes in the game. If it's such a massive problem they can't overcome it then they should really consider moving on to a new game. Like someone with arachnophobia wouldn't watch that film of the same name because of their fear, but would they protest for the film to change the spiders into something else? I'd hope not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info