Arachnophobia / No-Spider option

"
Asidra wrote:
I find this more interesting as an academic exercise than anything else. If you don't have a phobia, you can't really understand someone else's phobia. And if someone has arachnophobia - they are crazy afraid of spiders. OK.

But these are not spiders - they are digital images on a screen that are obviously not real. I am surprised to learn that the phobia still holds true for them.

In general, I'd not be a fan of someone asking someone else to change something to accomodate something specific to their oddness. But he asked nicely, wasn't demanding. And now GGG can decide if they want to invest the time to change it or not. Not really our business to commment or pass judgement.

Bullshit, you say you're not a fan of someone asking to change something to accomodate something specific to their oddness, but suddenly your ok with it if they... ask nicely?

glad to know your values on things are entirely dependent on the way they are presented and not the actual content, you sound like a very stable person.

Furthermore, I don't need to have a particular phobia to understand having problems, everyone has problems, there is a huge difference between having a problem and either dealing with it or trying to overcome it than to try to change other people to fit their own personal comfort.
Last edited by TiltedAxis on Aug 19, 2014, 2:34:13 PM
This is brilliant!
"
pengant wrote:
Whilst I agree with what you say CycloneJack and it is a numbers thing and for GGG to decide whether it's worth it or not, it doesn't solve the problem for these people with phobias. As the other guy pointed out the game is a perfect place for them to prove to themselves that they can overcome their phobia - it's one of a few steps they can take to overcome it, first killing spiders in a game, then maybe touching one in real life etc etc.

Just because they are irrational i don't see why they feel they are entitled to changes in the game. If it's such a massive problem they can't overcome it then they should really consider moving on to a new game. Like someone with arachnophobia wouldn't watch that film of the same name because of their fear, but would they protest for the film to change the spiders into something else? I'd hope not.

Do you, or anyone else in the thread dismissing phobias, feel the same when people make a post requesting GGG make options for players who are colorblind? Play a different game, man up, get better eyes, Lrn2See, etc?

As for the film comparison, if a game is only 90 minutes long, then I doubt they'd play the game. When a game is 100s of hours long, in a genre they enjoy, of which the available choices are limited, then they would most likely get a mod if one was available. As stated above, this would be a non-issue if modding was an option. It is not. The only thing they can do is make GGG aware of the issue and make a request that they look into it. That is what the OP did. Then the internet showed up. :)
"
CycloneJack wrote:
"
pengant wrote:
Whilst I agree with what you say CycloneJack and it is a numbers thing and for GGG to decide whether it's worth it or not, it doesn't solve the problem for these people with phobias. As the other guy pointed out the game is a perfect place for them to prove to themselves that they can overcome their phobia - it's one of a few steps they can take to overcome it, first killing spiders in a game, then maybe touching one in real life etc etc.

Just because they are irrational i don't see why they feel they are entitled to changes in the game. If it's such a massive problem they can't overcome it then they should really consider moving on to a new game. Like someone with arachnophobia wouldn't watch that film of the same name because of their fear, but would they protest for the film to change the spiders into something else? I'd hope not.

Do you, or anyone else in the thread dismissing phobias, feel the same when people make a post requesting GGG make options for players who are colorblind? Play a different game, man up, get better eyes, Lrn2See, etc?

As for the film comparison, if a game is only 90 minutes long, then I doubt they'd play the game. When a game is 100s of hours long, in a genre they enjoy, of which the available choices are limited, then they would most likely get a mod if one was available. As stated above, this would be a non-issue if modding was an option. It is not. The only thing they can do is make GGG aware of the issue and make a request that they look into it. That is what the OP did. Then the internet showed up. :)

You can't relate a phobia to colorblindness, one is mental one is physical. relate it to alcoholism, bitch about how your powerless, give yourself to jesus ,bla bla bla, the point is its a problem, not a disease, not something you can't overcome. Get over yourself.
Why hate cute spiders =( They catch the things in the dark that are stinging us and suck our blood! They are the good ones in this story! :(

I have no problem with spiders, had a tarantula, but bugs freaks the shit out of me lol
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
Last edited by Spysong192 on Aug 19, 2014, 2:50:41 PM
"
Spysong192 wrote:
Why hate cute spiders =( They catch the things in the dark that are stinging us and suck our blood! They are the good ones in this story! :(

I have no problem with spiders, had a tarantula, but bugs freaks the shit out of me lol

bugs freak me out too, doesn't mean I'm going to try to petition artists to work around my personal issues...
True, also i have quite fun to make carrion mothers explode *evil grin*
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
I knew someone would mention being colour blind.

That's a completely different ball game - that's something they are born with and cannot change.

A phobia is an irrational fear, something that they develop on their own - usually because they are irrational people.

And I think it's the fact that the person requested this at all that is annoying people. As normal, rational people see how petty it is to be afraid of virtual spiders and instead of trying to solve this problem they are trying to get everyone else to make a solution for them, which to everyday people is quite annoying.
Im not afraid of spiders in real life.

But after encountering Cintiq, the Inescapable in the start of invasion I learned to run like a little girl, lol!
"
TiltedAxis wrote:
"
Asidra wrote:
I find this more interesting as an academic exercise than anything else. If you don't have a phobia, you can't really understand someone else's phobia. And if someone has arachnophobia - they are crazy afraid of spiders. OK.

But these are not spiders - they are digital images on a screen that are obviously not real. I am surprised to learn that the phobia still holds true for them.

In general, I'd not be a fan of someone asking someone else to change something to accomodate something specific to their oddness. But he asked nicely, wasn't demanding. And now GGG can decide if they want to invest the time to change it or not. Not really our business to commment or pass judgement.

Bullshit, you say you're not a fan of someone asking to change something to accomodate something specific to their oddness, but suddenly your ok with it if they... ask nicely?

glad to know your values on things are entirely dependent on the way they are presented and not the actual content, you sound like a very stable person.

Furthermore, I don't need to have a particular phobia to understand having problems, everyone has problems, there is a huge difference between having a problem and either dealing with it or trying to overcome it than to try to change other people to fit their own personal comfort.

Doesn't GGG have the right to be made aware of the issue, assess the likelyhood there may other people in the situation - assess any positive or negative financial impact should they or they not make changes - and make their business decision accordingly? Perhaps his situation isn't uncommmon and the changes to accomodate are inexpensive, thus making their company more profitable by making the changes. How would they know to even research the viability from their end unless the issue was brought to their attention. As someone who has owned a business in the past I would rather people speak up - so that I can analyze the situation and make my decision. If they don't ask - I don't know - and I don't assess anything.

He wasn't demanding, or something ridiculous like threatening to get the ACLU inolved because his mental health rights are being violated. He asked. GGG can make their business decision. What do you care?
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Asidra on Aug 19, 2014, 3:04:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info