Arachnophobia / No-Spider option

"
Toshis8 wrote:
TiltedAxis,

I am on your side in this topic, but asidra is right - this is a bussiness for GGG. "grinding gear games" is a company which makes profit out of creating game for customers - us.

BUT, to be more specific this is a bussiness which GGG loves doing and feels passion to it.

Actually, they make profits through donations, and by making the game so good that you'd be willing to pay for a cosmetic effect in the game... which is free.
"
TiltedAxis wrote:

For starters, businesses charge for the goods and/or services they provide. GGG does not. It's not a business by any means, its more of a charity ,all of their money is made through donations and they provide a service free of charge. Thats not a business by any definition.

It is your donations that pay for their food & mortgages.

Secondly, none of their game design decisions have been influenced by what will make them money, supporting the first point that its not a business, and also that it is art to them.

Finally, I didn't say what would offend GGG, i said it was offensive, because it IS offensive.

[Removed by Support] If taxing of corporate profits exist in the Netherlands - they are being taxed. And income/profits is the purpose for GGG's existence. They are in the business of making money, and our relationship to them is one of a customer, not one as a contributor or philanthropist.

As a company - they are better served hearing their customers complaints, however ludicrous they may be, and reacting accordingly.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Aug 20, 2014, 8:28:46 AM
It's still a business though.

It's just a new model and hasn't really been defined, call it a charity or business or what you will. It's main aim is to make money. As you are probably aware majority of new games coming out that aren't by established developers are free to play with micro transactions as that is the model that works currently.

If that model didn't work then GGG would probably charge per copy out of the need to make money, hence why it is most certainly a business.

But like Tshois8 says i'm on your side regarding the OP :)
"
Asidra wrote:
"
TiltedAxis wrote:

For starters, businesses charge for the goods and/or services they provide. GGG does not. It's not a business by any means, its more of a charity ,all of their money is made through donations and they provide a service free of charge. Thats not a business by any definition.

It is your donations that pay for their food & mortgages.

Secondly, none of their game design decisions have been influenced by what will make them money, supporting the first point that its not a business, and also that it is art to them.

Finally, I didn't say what would offend GGG, i said it was offensive, because it IS offensive.

Now you are just being very stupid or very naive. If taxing of corporate profits exist in the Netherlands - they are being taxed. And income/profits is the purpose for GGG's existence. They are in the business of making money, and our relationship to them is one of a customer, not one as a contributor or philanthropist.

As a company - they are better served hearing their customers complaints, however ludicrous they may be, and reacting accordingly.

The netherlands? they are based in new zealand. "Grandmaster supporter" doesn't even know what hes supporting, just throws money around and thinks thats how the world works.

And sorry but no, the customer is not always right, especially in a scenario where the individual person complaining isn't even necessarily a "customer" since the game is, you know, free.
Last edited by TiltedAxis on Aug 19, 2014, 4:22:36 PM
The free to play model -

Don't charge anything for the game.
Charge for micro transactions.

The way it works -

People play the game for free, if they enjoy the game they'll most certainly spend something on micros. Main logic behind this 'I didn't even pay for this game so can afford to buy X..'.

Some people also go above and beyond spending thousands of dollars.

With other business models you get different positives and negatives. E.g Pay per copy model, gives you money instantly but may not get further money from continuing players.

This is why you shouldn't get caught up on the word free TitledAxis. This is a proven, successfull business model that currently generates the most profits for games of this type.
Meh...wrong country came out while typing quickly it doesn't change anything.

This isn't about if a customer is right or wrong. Customers are often wrong.

He is stating he doesn't play cause of his arachnophobia (which I would assume is true, can't imagine why he'd lie about that) and asks for a change. Simple as that - no harm done.

My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
"
pengant wrote:
The free to play model -

Don't charge anything for the game.
Charge for micro transactions.

The way it works -

People play the game for free, if they enjoy the game they'll most certainly spend something on micros. Main logic behind this 'I didn't even pay for this game so can afford to buy X..'.

Some people also go above and beyond spending thousands of dollars.

With other business models you get different positives and negatives. E.g Pay per copy model, gives you money instantly but may not get further money from continuing players.

This is why you shouldn't get caught up on the word free TitledAxis. This is a proven, successfull business model that currently generates the most profits for games of this type.

Wrong.

Please show me another game thats free to play and DOESN'T PROVIDE ANY IN-GAME BENEFITS with microtransactions.

Go ahead, try.
What difference does it make whether they provide an in game benefit or not?

Going by your logic, if GGG was all about the art and not an actual business then they'd give away their micro transactions for free would they not?

"
pengant wrote:
What difference does it make whether they provide an in game benefit or not?

Going by your logic, if GGG was all about the art and not an actual business then they'd give away their micro transactions for free would they not?

It makes a massive difference... if you don't understand that you're not even a gamer in my eyes. What difference does it make between a game being pay to win or not? did you just ask that?

The micro transacctions are often given away for free, by the way.
"
TiltedAxis wrote:
"
Gobla wrote:
Honestly don't see the problem with this.

Arachnophobia isn't that uncommon and there's no shortage of games where, usually through mods, there's options to change spiders into something else.

It's a simple straight-forward request and as far as feedback goes it's hard to imagine something that's easier to convert into a user story for feeding into the development pipeline (probably into the icebox on indefinite hold though).

That alone makes it valuable enough to be worth knowing.

I hope GGG is keeping an internal list for QoL improvements like this, even if there's rarely time for them such a list can be immensely valuable in the long-term.

Hemophobia is popular too, should we add an option to disable all blood and gore?

where does it end

its one thing to downplay a phobia, which is one issue, but its not even a real spider, it doesn't count, sorry.

It never ends. You never know everything.

I'm not saying they should fix this right now. I'm saying they should make a note of this because, in context, this is valuable information.

It's a clear and well-defined problem with a clear and well-defined solution. Do you have any idea how rare that shit is in software development. So you write that shit down and you keep it somewhere you can find it.

Same for hemophobia and everything else. If someone present you with an easily described problem with an easily described solution you write that shit down and attach a priority to it, likely very low in these cases.

Then whenever you plan your next patch you look through that list and you start at very high priority issues and work you way down, taking on related issues whenever appropriate.

Maybe you'll never reach the low priority issues, probably not even. But you're a total amateur if you don't even keep track of them. Professional software development means that if someone hands you a perfectly described issue on a platter like this you take note and put it away for possible later use.

[Removed by Support]
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Aug 20, 2014, 8:31:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info