Lightning Buzzsaw CoC

Yep, build's pretty good for Shadow, Witch or Ranger. The only real differences is as a Ranger you can grab the 8% Attack Speed at the Ranger Start, or in the case of the Witch, you get easier access to the Spell Damage nodes. Shadow doesn't have anything too special going on at his end, either the Witch or Ranger would be picking up his nodes anyways, but the Shadow works perfectly well as well.
So, for those that are interested in the next layer of defense to add to this build, Here is what I'm going for:

Required items: Rainbowstrides, Rathpith globe, Cloak of Defiance, at least one piece with + strength on it (apart from Doryani's, I'm assuming you're probably using that, too, but it's not required).

With best rolls we'd have 42% block and 45.7% spell block (I'm not sure which way the game would round this), about 7k evasion (depends on your other pieces), 3.3-4k life and 600-1000 unreserved mana (These ranges are ballparks and completely depend on your gear)

I'm also setting myself up to be +35 resists over the caps so I can run ele weakness maps and be capped.

Gotta get one ring and a rathpith and I'll update you guys on how it's going. I'm 89 at the moment, clearing 78s like cake (dominus can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but he's certainly doable).
Last edited by Morael on Sep 18, 2014, 11:22:11 PM
Last edited by oztaahh on Sep 19, 2014, 7:56:55 AM
"
oztaahh wrote:

Your % to crit with daggers is about the same as the life build, but you've lost the ability to use Arctic Armour (you have very little investment into mana). Your spells will have 110% global crit from the tree, 350% from 7 power charges and 40% from your dagger. 500% crit increase on a 5% base crit spell is 30% crit chance. This is functional, but could certainly be higher. The only real severe problem I see here is that you only have 35% crit multi from the tree and NO investment into spell damage (apart from the power charge one).

So, your spells will not hit hard, will not crit that often, and even when they do crit it won't be for very much more than a regular hit (1.85x). The life build we have doesn't have a ton more than that (we've got 105% multi from the tree), but it's certainly noticeably more. If you don't crit hard enough with your arc, you're not going to be shocking enemies.

So, I guess my overall perception of your build so far is: why? You've gone CI and not gained nearly enough.
+ You've gained a LOT of block, but at the cost of -everything- else, you'll have 67% chance to block and 57% chance to block spells.
- You've lost the ability to use health potions (which are extremely, extremely powerful tools).
- Sustain issues: You either need to do a ton of damage to have 2% total leech work (dagger, belt), or you need to use a life leech gem (huge dps loss).
- You've also lost arctic armour.
- You've lost mind over matter from not using cloak of defiance/mana stacked build.
- No Ondar's guile. (Having tons of block makes up for this partially.)
- You have no investment into spell damage, and your crit multi is low, so your spells aren't going to hit very hard.

The only thing you've successfully done is gain a crap ton of block, which we could do with the life build if we really wanted to stock that many points into block passives.

Suggestions to fix the build:
+ You're only 4 points away from Elemental Equilibrium, GET IT.
Pick your two spell elements and have an elemental damage roll of the third element on a ring or your weapon.
+ Get some spell damage, I've found that 7 total points of investment is far more than enough. 16/16/10/10/10/16%ele at the start of the Witch, + the 4% per power charge. If nothing else, at LEAST grab the 2x 16% spell damage nodes starting at the witch.
+ Also, you should be building this as a witch. If you're not going to "cheat" as a ranger and ONLY grab the 8% AS node by itself and use another way to get out of the starting area (you're using that spot to path out), just start as a different class that you can gain something with, like a witch.
+ Get some more crit multi.

I would come up with a sample tree, but I don't have time to tinker with it right now. I'm also not sure that it's really possible/reasonable to do so.
Does cloak of defiance allow you to use your mana to mitigate 10% of the damage or 40%?

"
Schizo87 wrote:
Does cloak of defiance allow you to use your mana to mitigate 10% of the damage or 40%?

40%
"
Morael wrote:
"
Schizo87 wrote:

40%

Wait what? This is with Mind over Matter right?

So you only get 40% mitigation if you go to Mind over Matter on the tree itself AND while wearing cloak of defiance.

Or does Cloak of Defiance grant 40% by itself? Because that would explain a LOT (why so many people are using it) and that would make it seem a bit OP to me.
Player since closed beta 2012. Full system specs: https://pastebin.com/c4rvbvSR
'Tongueslurp the Unspeakable' - skeleton archer in Fellshrine Merciless
"
Zedda wrote:
"
Morael wrote:
"
Schizo87 wrote:

40%

Wait what? This is with Mind over Matter right?

So you only get 40% mitigation if you go to Mind over Matter on the tree itself AND while wearing cloak of defiance.

Or does Cloak of Defiance grant 40% by itself? Because that would explain a LOT (why so many people are using it) and that would make it seem a bit OP to me.

Yep, that's how Cloak works, it gives you Mind Over Matter, as well as an additional 10%, making the chest act as a stronger version of the keystone. It does sort of make the keystone irrelevant, but having the keystone all the way in the Duelist area where you can't effectively make use of it without spending a dozen points has already had that effect anyways.
Overly wordy update.
As you guys have noticed, I tend to be a bit long winded.

Tl/dr: Get yourself a rathpith and some rainbowstrides, spend a handful of points in block nodes, win.

Stats:
3550 life, 725 mana unreserved
270 mana regen/sec
75/75/79 resists
42% block
46% spell block
7.3k eva with grace, 3k without grace.
level 21 AA (-209 fire/phys damage taken)
Clarity, Purity of Lightning, Grace (or haste, for fast clear maps that I'm not scared of phys, I use this on any map >76).

Current Gear

I save up ele weakness maps that I roll (that are otherwise very desirable) and toss this guy on to run them all at once (Ele weakness maps = auto level 15 ele weakness = -34 all resist, this is enough to overcap me +34 on each)

Spells, Supports and Combos
I've learned a lot about different combinations by doing high level maps, and forcing myself to use a combination that I've picked out, even if I don't like how it's working.

+ Power Charge on Critical Strike (PCoC): It is sometimes beneficial to swap in your PCoC support to your main setup. Do this when dps time is really precious, and you can't afford to spend the time keeping up power charges. Palace dominus with hard mods comes to mind here, as does Atziri. Let's face it, if those power charges fall off, we hit like a wet noodle.

+ Arc: It's a staple. I haven't moved that gem in weeks. I use it for all setups. You just can't beat the shock dps, plus it's the least laggy spell COC can possibly use. I may be going for a level 21 here soon.

+ Freezing Pulse: When you get a 20%Q freezing pulse, your life will change with this build. The shotgun dps is nuts and watching the waves fly around the screen is hilarious.

+ Fireball: Still my go-to for parties. It's less laggy than FP is, and the damage is similar. Ele reflect is much safer with FB because of arctic armour.

+ Added Chaos: My favorite damage support. I could see arguments for using critical damage. Maybe I'll level one and test it. I just like ACD because it's damage that doesn't get reflected (and watching high ES mobs hit 1/2 health before I even get through their shield is hilarious). It's important to note that if you make it to the point of going Ele Equilibrium, you should use something else instead of ACD, because this won't get scaled by that. Increased crit damage would probably be the best.

+ GMP: Great for clear speed on open maps. I'm still not sure if you get 5x hits with freezing pulse on shotgun* (I know you only get 3 with fireball), so survey is still out on this for single target with FP. GMP is much laggier in a party setting.

+ LMP: Huge single target dps with FB, and seemingly FP, too. I still haven't figured out how many hits you get with FP shotgun with GMP.* Any time the map is in tight corridors, I use LMP. It's just cleaner to aim and if I'm using FB it's more dps anyway.

* A bunch of you are going to tell me "everyone knows you get 5 hits with GMP, that's why the oldschool FP builds all used GMP. Well, yes, if you aim your cursor farther away for a tight FP grouping, you definitely get 5 hits. But, COC targets directly on the enemy, which means if you're face tanking a boss, it's shooting at maximum spread. I'm not sure if we actually get 5 hits here.

I've contemplated running PCoC in the main setup and trying Cold Snap.
Another fun possibility would be desecrate + detonate dead (If anyone is interested in doing this, your spec must be different because % spell damage is worthless, you have to get %ele/%fire).

Passive Tree Shenanigans
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMB37CCEI-mRKtVriyc34rpAv6zVyu9gm0ZCPTAVGpDvOprF5UgLR9Ms1Aw214rDUJLhcXfvgQHg9tVxuvkXyrB84Ie2wuio3_GEZaQG3BWmhPb1A5IXfJw1YnTcFIqC_PqtUhtbA-rFr8mlWHiVUuMNlM1m7XDOspKb56cpIcTdweDCRmK-wn22hqPLYOXBsSiu-P-uv-TsJJR2X110354rkjuG6094rfT18ujiiP2TZKNfTB8UUfnVCT9_95_K9aKAF4Zju2DCC42PeywjAu5fJ2qbIxirAMeH0FjQw==
Bandits: Skill point, attack speed, power charge

So far, am missing 3 spell damage nodes in the Witch area as I'm only level 89. I'm sure that'll be fixed soon. After those 3, I might go for the attack speed in the ranger area? (4, 4, 6/10life/useless stuff, effectively 14% +10 life for 3 nodes, not bad)
Otherwise, I'll just get some of the ele damage from the shadow area.

If I ever make it to level 99, this build will go full 100% ridiculous and I'll grab elemental equilibrium. The damage would be unreal. I suppose I could do it at level 95 by dropping some of the spell damage nodes. If I got a dagger with spell damage, I'm sure this would be better than the spell damage from the tree. Seriously, though, the damage would be nuts. -- If you go this route without getting spell block... Have fun. RIP.

As soon as I farm out another set, I'm trying Atziri again. That filthy waste of life is going down.
As far as how my build has changed since my last update, I've got my hands on a Windripper, and am using CoC Tornado Shot. So it's sort of completely different from what this build used to be, but the basic passive tree outline still seems to work well enough using a Windripper instead of a Dagger, so I haven't bothered respeccing much at all yet(Just took out the Dagger nodes and replaced them with the Bow Crit nodes near Ondar's Guile).

My next big goal is to get a Drillneck, since the Arrow Pierce Chance applies to all Projectile Damage(Even spells), making it act effectively as a potential 100% Spell Damage quiver, while giving you an excuse to take advantage of all the utility of Pierce. EDIT: Drillneck dropped off Dominus when I was testing different CoC set-ups, so that's exciting, and a massive damage boost.

Should be pretty nuts, it already is, given how many CoC procs you can get off a single Tornado Shot. As far as AoE is concerned, Tornado Shot definitely feels like the best CoC skill, while Barrage seems to only be slightly better when it comes to single target.

Although I guess all of that is a bit off-topic, now that I'm not really playing the same build anymore.

"
Morael wrote:
* A bunch of you are going to tell me "everyone knows you get 5 hits with GMP, that's why the oldschool FP builds all used GMP. Well, yes, if you aim your cursor farther away for a tight FP grouping, you definitely get 5 hits. But, COC targets directly on the enemy, which means if you're face tanking a boss, it's shooting at maximum spread. I'm not sure if we actually get 5 hits here.

Yeah, this is one of the big reasons I have a hard time bringing myself to use FP. I'm pretty sure you don't get 5 hits, you still get a large amount of AoE coverage, and some amount of shotgunning, but it just never felt right to me. Maybe once I finally get it to 20/20 I'll be able to bring it back into my rotation and change my mind. But for now Arctic Breath is doing well for me, but playing at a constant 30 FPS as a result is a bit of a downer.

"
Morael wrote:

Another fun possibility would be desecrate + detonate dead (If anyone is interested in doing this, your spec must be different because % spell damage is worthless, you have to get %ele/%fire).

This is something I've actually wanted to try since the start of Ambush but never got around to doing. If anyone tries it, then be sure to let me know how it works out, I'm sure it'll be good for a laugh if nothing else.
Last edited by Shotgun_Surgeon on Sep 20, 2014, 1:55:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info