Drop rate problem (of the good stuff)

"
jsmoothPOE111 wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Here's some math you guys need to understand.
*snip*

From briefly looking over your post, it looks like you're stating that no matter if there was a doubling of the sheer volume of drops, it would not greatly increase your chances of getting good gear at higher levels, yes?

I don't have any math to back up my suggestion. But in a game like PoE with such build diversity, would it be possible to tweak the items that drop to be just... better? So, quality vs quantity. The example I'm thinking of is D3, where their RoS loot 2.0 has been praised as one of the better things to happen to that game.

~ Jsmooth

D3 also targets a different group of people.
i personnaly hated 2.0 loot.
the leveling in D3 became so painfull because of it.
you litteraly got an upgrade every minute.

i just stopped picking up loot al together because i just didn't care anymore.
it was better at the later stages but honestly my mind couldn't handle leveling again.
and i didn't have friends to powerlevel me.

people think that if the constantly find good gear the game will feel beter.
but that's only true to a certain point.

if you have to put no effort in it, and it becomes expected, then you will have no feeling of reward anymore when you do find an upgrade.

and FYI PoE item/character system is way more complex you can't have loot specificly for your character drop like it's in D3 , where items are 1-dimensional with your class.

anyhow regardless what you do, you can't avoid a slowing down of progression item wise.
if people kept finding upgrades at the same pace as they do at that start.
that would mean infinite scaling. -> impossible to balance a game like that.

"
SjakaWaka wrote:
"
jsmoothPOE111 wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Here's some math you guys need to understand.
*snip*

From briefly looking over your post, it looks like you're stating that no matter if there was a doubling of the sheer volume of drops, it would not greatly increase your chances of getting good gear at higher levels, yes?

I don't have any math to back up my suggestion. But in a game like PoE with such build diversity, would it be possible to tweak the items that drop to be just... better? So, quality vs quantity. The example I'm thinking of is D3, where their RoS loot 2.0 has been praised as one of the better things to happen to that game.

~ Jsmooth

D3 also targets a different group of people.
i personnaly hated 2.0 loot.

*snip*

and FYI PoE item/character system is way more complex you can't have loot specificly for your character drop like it's in D3 , where items are 1-dimensional with your class.

anyhow regardless what you do, you can't avoid a slowing down of progression item wise.
if people kept finding upgrades at the same pace as they do at that start.
that would mean infinite scaling. -> impossible to balance a game like that.

If you honestly hated loot 2.0; then I don't think we have anything in common.
But that's ok. It takes all kinds.

I understand that the item / build interaction is more complex in PoE. But, not every complex problem goes without a solution. Who knows. Maybe someone will think outside the box.

I know that you can't totally get away from the slowing of item progression. But, there's a fine balance to be had as to where that slowing occurs. I know that at least for my character... he hasn't had an upgrade drop in a long time; and he hasn't reach the top tier of gear. I've had to buy a nice piece or two... but really, that just serves to prove my point =P
Path of Exile, the poe.trade mini-game.
Last edited by jsmoothPOE111 on Aug 25, 2015, 9:32:49 AM
I think the biggest problems with loot isn't droprate but instead:
1. Rare affix diversity. On some items (amulets) you can get all kinds of things and there is no problem; on others (most defensive gear) things are super linear and there is no variety in upgrade path. If every slot was at least as interesting as gloves are, there wouldn't be an issue here.
2. Clutter. Use an item filter or your eyes bleed. 2.0 was a huge step forward, I am okay now, but most of the casual playerbase will not use a filter and suffer as a result.

Both problems are worth attention but not really huge problems. Loot in PoE isn't that bad.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 25, 2015, 11:35:00 AM
ye i would realy like to see loot affixes to become more interesting aswell
you always want the same stats on certain pieces like boots/body
and a more diverse pool would be awesome.

but the question then is what kind of affixes ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info