Drop rate problem (of the good stuff)

"
iEUnbreakable wrote:
Necrobump rng is trash.

you sir don't know what is trash rng until you do 81 map chiseled,alched,chaosed,corrupted with 2 peers , 202 IIR/34 IIQ with culling and the uniques dropping in it are absolute trash along with most of the rares. THAT is real RNG crap
@OP

You do'nt need "good stuff" to progress in this game. Even if you've found nothing in 4 hours, you can still level your toon, your gems, your masters, craft stuff. There is always progress. Thats the beauty of this game.
"
mark1030 wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I've been using the same amulet for a very long time too and I'm 73 now. I just haven't found anything better yet (partly because I'm really deficient in Dex for my green gems. I'm again at a point where I need more Dex to level my LMP again.

This shouldn't be too hard.
I don't know what stats other than Dex you need, but...

Visit vendor. Buy a +30 Dex Amulet.
Use a Transmutation orb and a couple Alteration orbs (or alch/scour)
Enjoy your upgrade.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
RNG dropped me Mjolnier yesterday..

it was a good day yesterday..

after all these months..
Welcome to path of economy, where balance is so bad, and time/reword is balanced like shit.

The game is on level of free korean MMOs, and that is a huge shame.

PoE takes a first price as a arpg that has the worst drop rates ever.
Last edited by miljan on Aug 24, 2015, 8:10:07 AM
Well in my opinion the funny thing is that POE drops more items than any other RPG I played. It has a very very high drop rate of crap. So much crap that we needed a loot filter.

Rares for me are so common that I spend about 30% of my play time traveling, identifying and vendoring rares. I would love to see some improvements on both sides. Less drops. Better quality.
Here's some math you guys need to understand.

Let's say there's a large group of people in the room, and I give each of them a completely random number between 0 and 100 million. The average result in the room would be 50 million.

Now let's say I did it two more times (3 total), and all we cared about was whichever of each person's three random numbers was highest. The average result in the room would be 75 million.

Four times total? 80 million.
Nine times total? 90 million.
And so on. It follows the formula x/(x+1); first 1/2, then 2/3 with two times, 3/4 with three times, etc.

So, if you double drop rates, you go from a progression curve represented by the yellow line, to a progression curve represented by the blue line.

Thus, if you actually understand the math behind affix systems, you will realize no matter how you set the droprate endgame gear progression will inevitably slow to a grind, because the availability of affixes becomes static (that is, superior affixes do not become available).

The real droprate problem is that no droprate adjustment exists which will solve your problems.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 24, 2015, 11:16:43 AM
Scrotie with a valiant effort, but I don't think that's nearly 101 enough.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"
Scrotie with a valiant effort, but I don't think that's nearly 101 enough.

sad but true
while everything he says is correct the community will not understand.
or will refute it because they can't accept reality.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Here's some math you guys need to understand.
*snip*

From briefly looking over your post, it looks like you're stating that no matter if there was a doubling of the sheer volume of drops, it would not greatly increase your chances of getting good gear at higher levels, yes?

I don't have any math to back up my suggestion. But in a game like PoE with such build diversity, would it be possible to tweak the items that drop to be just... better? So, quality vs quantity. The example I'm thinking of is D3, where their RoS loot 2.0 has been praised as one of the better things to happen to that game.

~ Jsmooth
Path of Exile, the poe.trade mini-game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info