Drop rate problem (of the good stuff)

"
Dahita wrote:
Hello,

I would like to mention this problem because this is why my friends and I don't play this wonderful game anymore. The drop rate is too low in this game and it's discouraging.

We're a bunch of 30 year old friends, coming from Diablo 1 and 2 (and 3 for some of us) and all the older h&s type games. When playing path of exile, something is always bothering us to the point we stop playing; we can't seem to drop good items. For exemple:

- Rare, unique and legendary monsters (or blue, yellow and orange, whatever you call them) very rarely drop good items. More importantly legendary monsters don't even automatically drop at least a yellow item (or anything good). Therefore, you can play a whole map, come up against a unique / legendary bosses and still get absolutely nothing. When you spend 4 hours on a friday night playing with your friends and you get absolutely NO good drop, it doesn't make you want to keep playing.

- MF maps don't even drop good items. We had 2 chest maps of around +1900% MF chance, we did them both all together: NOTHING good. Absolutely nothing. Not a good artefact, gem or crafting material, 0, nada, zip. How can this be?

I used to play Diablo 2 for like 5 or 6 years and I have never felt such a difficulty to progress in the game. Trade was a little easier (I didn't have to trade 5 different types of item to finally get what I needed, hurray runes...), items were definitly easier to find and it felt great to play it over and over again.

Right now when I play POE I feel like I need to farm the docks forever in the hope that beside my level increase something is going to drop so I can actually do dmg and move on. Since it never happens, all I do is playing the same maps and getting bored. These are the reasons why we stopped playing.

I am writing this in the hope that you will finally chnage this situation. I really like this game but we can't play it for the sake of killing monsters. While I am really not asking you to change it to a Diablo 3 where legendaries now drop every 5 minutes, I am asking you to balance it a little better. Creating different maps and leagues is one thing, as long as we can't get good items out of it, it doesn't really matter. Please help us come back to your game, thanks.

Hello. I understand you very well and totally agree with you!
I created threads about it:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/971052
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/974651
and as you can see only one negative from trolls and haters and GGG scared make a good changes bcs of it.

You cant make threads like this one, you must create ONLY threads about how good drop rate and how lower drop rate to satisfy trolls and haters.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
Dahita wrote:
Don't you miss making a sorc and mfing nicely while leveling up your other characters? it felt great doing all this mix in the game! And it didn't feel hard and time consuming even though in the end, it was.
I liked it (obviously, because I liked d2) but I also like poe's style of progression.

In d2 your mf char is what progresses all of your gear progression and all of your other chars are basically playgrounds. Sure I don't mind that, but like I said, anyone who does not like to mf could not play the game longer than just getting through the story (killing diablo and maybe getting rushed to hell baal just for the hell of it) because of this.

Sawm has it almost completely backwards. If you don't mf in d2 you do not get rewarded. You don't progress just by playing. Just like Poe you could spend days mf'ing and get no uniques. However in poe you get tons of currency just from selling rares and drops from trash mobs. That is what I call progression just from playing the game.

If you play poe the same way that you would play d2 (picking the most efficient farm char to start, MF sorc) you can get a similar effect. Playing a summoner or Detonate Dead or many others can get you right to the highest level of maps in a short time with bad items.
I disagree with you on the D2 part, I think you find a lot more in D2 without mfing than POE and you can actually level from it.

But this is details, based on one's experience, if I liked D2 so much I could just go back there and play.

Focusing on POE, YES, I like the universe, I like their system of orbs and gems, I like the graphics, the musics, the ambiance, the store (That's the ONLY game I ever spent money on a store, around 120$ actually and it was worth it).

I just can't play the game anymore because of the lack of fun due to items not dropping. I can't spend my time trading instead of playing and I would really like to get back on this game with my friends. Please GGG hear me (us) out on this and please make it more rewarding and fun to play. I would so much like to spend more money customizing my character and enjoying to watch it do crazy magic and skills but the experience is impaired by this drop rate balance.
Wow treeofDead you really worked on this ha :)

Yeah I created a post similar to this one 6 months ago and got a lot of kids talking about casual gamers and whiners and what not.

What's scary is that even these little punks are gone...
Drops can be a bit smarter I agree, like you said unique monsters should drop at least rare items.
But I can also imagine that for example enemies with shields drop shields more often, more stuff like that.

What I also would like is that a combo of challenging enemies that buff each other, are more rewarding too.
Here's what you currently get if you go out farming:
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- good drop
- shit
- shit
- shit

Here's what you get if you double drop rates, then go out farming:
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- good drop
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- good drop (but not quite as good as the good drop from earlier, so still kinda shit)
- shit
- shit
- shit

Here's what you get if you actually balance items and builds so that diversity is encouraged:
- shit
- decent item for a build you're not using
- shit
- shit
- good drop for your build
- shit
- shit

Increasing drop rates isn't the answer. This goes double for increasing the amount of crappy white items the game drops, cluttering up the screen and becoming an eyesore and distraction when players hold down Alt. If anything, the game could benefit from a drastic reduction in the amount of useless shit that gets dropped.

What we need instead is some more actual item diversity instead of the old formulaic "(Life or ES) + resistances" formula for most gear slots. If there's only one or two gear progression patterns, then everything gets put on one or two lines ranging from shit to uber and it just becomes a grind hopping from one upgrade to the next. What we need are more different lines, not just one or two, so that there are less strict-superiority relationships.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 5, 2014, 5:56:14 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- good drop
- shit
- shit
- shit

- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- good drop
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- good drop (but not quite as good as the good drop from earlier, so still kinda shit)
- shit
- shit
- shit

Here's what you get if you actually balance items and builds so that diversity is encouraged:
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit

Increasing drop rates isn't the answer. This goes double for increasing the amount of crappy white items the game drops, cluttering up the screen and becoming an eyesore and distraction when players hold down Alt. If anything, the game could benefit from a drastic reduction in the amount of useless shit that gets dropped.

What we need instead is some more actual item diversity instead of the old formulaic "(Life or ES) + resistances" formula for most gear slots. If there's only one or two gear progression patterns, then everything gets put on one or two lines ranging from shit to uber and it just becomes a grind hopping from one upgrade to the next. What we need are more different lines, not just one or two, so that there are less strict-superiority relationships.

Wow that must have taken a lot of effort and thought into that theory. Time well spent
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- good drop
- shit
- shit
- shit

- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- good drop
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit

- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit
- shit

Or they could increase drop rates for the good stuff and not white items, very simply. Your formula doesn't apply to legendaries.
Scrotie is completely right in his assessment. This is exactly why I cannot take seriously anyone who suggests that increasing the drop rate (of orbs, uniques, or whatever) is the cure to the game's ills.

If I had my druthers, we would have new classes of weapons/armor that had a cleaner affix pool. It really irks the shit out of me that I can't reliably craft a friggin spellcasting WAND.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
No he is not. Here is why:

"
What we need instead is some more actual item diversity

That constantly applies to any game, it's off-topic. You could make it a topic, "how balanced are the drops", but it's a different matter. I'm not saying I disagree, just that it's not what we're talking about.

"
If anything, the game could benefit from a drastic reduction in the amount of useless shit that gets dropped

No. The useless stuff that gets dropped is not picked up anyway, so it's only a matter of appearance. I agree with it though, it's only there to make the pleasure of finding good stuff greater, so how much is too much? but once again, this is off topic.

It is understood that when talking about the drop rate, we mean the GOOD STUFF drop rate. To me, this game is too much focused on farming crap and trading. When I come home at night and have an hour to play, I feel sad that this game is all about that when it could focus back on what it really is. Same thing apply when we want to play between friends on the week end.

What is fun in trading for 2 hours on spammed trade channels instead of playing?!

That's the opinion up for debate but I really hope I'm heard by the developers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info