Drop rate problem (of the good stuff)

Hello,

I would like to mention this problem because this is why my friends and I don't play this wonderful game anymore. The drop rate is too low in this game and it's discouraging.

We're a bunch of 30 year old friends, coming from Diablo 1 and 2 (and 3 for some of us) and all the older h&s type games. When playing path of exile, something is always bothering us to the point we stop playing; we can't seem to drop good items. For exemple:

- Rare, unique and legendary monsters (or blue, yellow and orange, whatever you call them) very rarely drop good items. More importantly legendary monsters don't even automatically drop at least a yellow item (or anything good). Therefore, you can play a whole map, come up against a unique / legendary bosses and still get absolutely nothing. When you spend 4 hours on a friday night playing with your friends and you get absolutely NO good drop, it doesn't make you want to keep playing.

- MF maps don't even drop good items. We had 2 chest maps of around +1900% MF chance, we did them both all together: NOTHING good. Absolutely nothing. Not a good artefact, gem or crafting material, 0, nada, zip. How can this be?

I used to play Diablo 2 for like 5 or 6 years and I have never felt such a difficulty to progress in the game. Trade was a little easier (I didn't have to trade 5 different types of item to finally get what I needed, hurray runes...), items were definitly easier to find and it felt great to play it over and over again.

Right now when I play POE I feel like I need to farm the docks forever in the hope that beside my level increase something is going to drop so I can actually do dmg and move on. Since it never happens, all I do is playing the same maps and getting bored. These are the reasons why we stopped playing.

I am writing this in the hope that you will finally chnage this situation. I really like this game but we can't play it for the sake of killing monsters. While I am really not asking you to change it to a Diablo 3 where legendaries now drop every 5 minutes, I am asking you to balance it a little better. Creating different maps and leagues is one thing, as long as we can't get good items out of it, it doesn't really matter. Please help us come back to your game, thanks.

Last edited by Dahita on Aug 5, 2014, 10:58:55 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Did you even read the announcements about 1.2.0? You can make items good on your own.

I find it hard to believe you got better drops in D2. I played that game for years and never found anything worth a crap. In about 16 months, I've found way better stuff in this game.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
I did read it and I didn't read any improvement on drop rates. You're talking about making your own items, which is different.

You find it "hard to believe", oh, that makes it a truth then.

In D2, just by creating a character, you already had a mid to high level rune (from Lem to Gul) through the forge quest act 4. This by itself gives you a high level items. Make 4 characters, you've got 4 of them.

Are you sure you played it "for years"?

Anyway your answer is neither here nor there.
"
mark1030 wrote:
Did you even read the announcements about 1.2.0? You can make items good on your own.

This remains to be seen. If RNG were cheese and POE a pizza, My guess is we'll have a 99 layer cheeze pizza coming in 1.2

It's likely ( after years of historical references now ) that the crafting recipes will cost a shitload more than if we just trade for the items....or in the true way of POE the recipes for mods you want will still roll the lowest tier 99% of the time and will just be another layer of RNG on the RNG pizza.

echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
"
Dahita wrote:
In D2, just by creating a character, you already had a mid to high level rune (from Lem to Gul) through the forge quest act 4. This by itself gives you a high level items. Make 4 characters, you've got 4 of them.
In poe just leveling to 60-70 will get you a nice stack of currency which would get you more in poe than a gul would get you in d2, not to mention that the hell forge drop could easily be worse than gul.

"
When you spend 4 hours on a friday night playing with your friends and you get absolutely NO good drop, it doesn't make you want to keep playing.
This was much more common in d2 imo. In fact unless you were repetitively farming bosses you would practically never get anything. At least in poe you get currency from whatever you do, whether its just killing trash mobs or bossing etc.

The main difference is that PoE has a higher ceiling. Because of duping there is nothing that comes anywhere close to the value of mirrors, shavs etc. In d2 you can get bis items for a few HR's and you can get those HR's just by mindlessly farming meph till you get a big ticket item like arach belt or HoZ.

Personally though I think that higher ceiling is cool, even though I will probably never get those items. In d2 I got to the point where I could start completely fresh and within 2 weeks (of mindlessly farming meph) could get a hammerdin decked out in bis items. That is just lame imo.
You say on thing and its contrary. You start saying going level 60 / 70 will bring you more stuff than getting to Hell forge in D2 (which I completely disagree with) but then that you could build a viable hammerdin (sweet :P ) in 2 weeks. Try to do a great build in POE in 2 weeks...

Anyway the point is that from lvl 0 to lvl 70 in POE you won't get that many good drops if not one at all and this is not fun to play.

For example (and this is the last time I refer to it but this is the only comparable example I have) in D2, you would find good legendary and set items that helped you progress along the way. You could even upgrade their physical form to make it even better for very cheap (what was it again, Lem + Fal in the cube?).

In POE you barely get some random uniques and very shitty legendaries that are unusable (I have what, 10 of them since I ever started this game, none of them ever helped me progress). You can use them sometimes on a new character but that's probably it.

WHY can't you just play the game and find great items for you to keep leveling up with?! I'm not talking about making it too easy, but finding a good legendary weapon lvl 30 when you're level 28 that'll help you go to level 35 is not too much to ask, it should actually be the core of the game.

Now when you're level 70 it doesn't get any better anyway. They focused on the crafting part TOO MUCH, expecting you to trade little things here and there to finally get a good weapon. It can takes gaes and in the meantime you can't really play and relax. Where has gone the good old fashion "You kill a boss, you get a good item" part?!

In Diablo 3 they are ruining the game by making drops happen so often (the game was alrdy bad anyway) but my friends would rather play it and finds drops than play POE for 4 hours and not getting a single good one. How could you blame them?!

We can't all play 25 hours a week and get involved in trading just to be able to keep going. Trading requires a lot of time and full knowledge of the currency rates. You can't do that but if you play at least a couple hours every day / every 2 days. What happens when you have an actual life and can play only an hour here and there? You don't want to waste it on looking at a chat and try to find an item you can trade for your junk, you want to PLAY, you want to HACK and SLASH.

To sum up, killing mobs is not rewarding enough and trade takes too much space in this game. I would like the developers (which this message is for) to understand that there is a balance between a Diablo 3 focused on hammering mobs with no trade / high drop rate and a POE focused on trade / low drop rate.

Thx for reading me

Yep Drop rates are tied with data they get ( stupid and kills peoples fun basically they control drops way too much.)

The truth is RNG is broken and in the bad side, people quit because they find NOTHING, rings amulets for recipe's unique's, maps, they find NOTHING because everything is behind 1000 layers of rng, too many layers, broken, but they know its broken that's what trading is for. (nope.)

I agree D2 was super rng some people found fuck all, but no one i knew quit, in the end you could build chars from just playing. you WERE rewarded in d2, in poe xD you get nothing, unless you sink 150+hours lvling a char, 150+ trading for iir gear, 300+hours farming for alts to buy your first item for your main. POE has this silly 100% unrewarding drop system were the only valuable some people ever SEE or find/create is a few gcp's chaos(who are way too easy to make and worth nothing like everything except exalts/et/mirrors(because there drop only...100%), the game also thrives on giving new player 0 knowledge of values and makes everywhere noob give his exalts away for the most silly ratios, alchs are worth nothing after a 1month, less and less due to this game being HUGE I mean holly shit HUGE in rmt, Just think about how much RMT is making in $.

At how hard shit is to find in this game? prices are pretty intense, and people still spend insane cash for orbs its pretty crazy I dont get how people have this kind of money to give away for random pixels haha, Last i looked...its suuuuuper expensive...but people buy them...shows how broken RNG is IMHO.

Imo, GGG should have gone for a VERY wide range of mods on unique and drop them Way more, make "uncrafting" making recycling medium even high tier unique a thing, letting people use all the uniques or close, ( because as stated unique's are KEY BUILD UNABLERS!!!! not suppose to be overpowered rares. ) the range in witch the mods roll should be whats op...not the item never dropping because its so fucking BIS. Right now its all about being lucky at being lucky that your
lucky.

P.S i dont picture my Exile having to go to some school learn how to trade trade for a few years all this while slaying mobs while staying fit? i just dont picture trading being core mechanic of this game...there's almost no one on that island to trade except a few random exiles who want to kill you not sell you gear.... let me kill shit to find stuff, then my friends will comeback and i wont have to keep adding new people and deleting the endless stream of players who quit...its making me depressed and i Cant play a game seeing players just leave because those players hate the whole "0 reward even if you bust you're ass doing all the recipes...."
hit me up @sarrow lets have fun :D
Last edited by Sawm on Aug 5, 2014, 4:24:21 PM
From what limited screenshots we've seen of the new crafters, you should be able to make upgrades yourself. That's all I'm saying. If you are using gloves that have been adequate so far, you can make them better by adding attack speed to them. Or any number of mods they haven't shown us yet. Now, extend that. You have 9 item slots (or 10 if not using a 2 hander). That's 9 or 10 mods you get to personally choose to go on your gear. That should make up for what you see as lack of good drops.

If you're really not getting anything usable, you're playing wrong. Use simple crafting that's already in the game. There is a cheap vendor recipe that can give you 70-89% increased physical damage on any weapon. All it takes is a rare rustic sash and a Blacksmith's Whetstone. That alone should get you through Normal with no trouble.

Honestly, if you think you got better drops in D2, you should keep playing that instead. The drops aren't going to get any better for you. I find plenty of useful stuff. Those uniques you complain about are just left on the ground by many people. They aren't worth anything in trade so a lot of people don't waste their time trading them.

How about you tell me which low level unique you haven't found that you think would be really great for your character. I'm sure I've got one I can give to you. Unless you say Crown of Thorns. I'm sure I've vendored any of those I've picked up.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
Dahita wrote:
You say on thing and its contrary. You start saying going level 60 / 70 will bring you more stuff than getting to Hell forge in D2 (which I completely disagree with) but then that you could build a viable hammerdin (sweet :P ) in 2 weeks. Try to do a great build in POE in 2 weeks...
Yes that does sorta contradict itself but the reason is that higher ceiling like I mentioned.

In d2 if you got a bunch of guls you could get an enigma which is the cookiecutter bis item for many builds. In poe typically any bis item will easily be at least dozens of ex in the ladder (hundreds on standard) so its not really fair to compare this aspect.

You can easily get at least 1 ex of currency if you add it all up just from leveling up if you sell all rares and chromatic items, watch vendors for 6s and chromatics etc. From hell forge mal and gul are the money shot and odds are you won't get either.

"
In POE you barely get some random uniques and very shitty legendaries that are unusable (I have what, 10 of them since I ever started this game, none of them ever helped me progress). You can use them sometimes on a new character but that's probably it.
In poe rares and sometimes even magic items are great, unlike d2 where its unique/RW or gtfo (barring jewelry). Often in d2 you will need to be rushed and have to equip the character with a magicfinder or a friend. Starting fresh on a ladder with anything besides a sorc was insanity if you were trying to be efficient. Farming on a mf char was basically essential to fully gearing your char legit.

In poe almost any build can progress thru the whole story and beyond just by managing your currency properly. Getting to the highest level of gear is basically impossible without massive dedication, but that is ok. It means there is always something to work towards (if I feel like it).
"
Sawm wrote:

I agree D2 was super rng some people found fuck all, but no one i knew quit, in the end you could build chars from just playing. you WERE rewarded in d2, in poe xD you get nothing
I heavily disagree with this. All my RL friends who played d2 were never able to find anything and hated to mf meph/pindleskin. I ended up carrying and gearing them so they basically never did any work or thought for themselves and just did the clickfest till they got bored after some weeks. One of them RMT'ed to get gear on one ladder and quit shortly after because it is naturally unrewarding to play that way.

Like I said above, in poe you get currency nomatter what you do. The items you want may be expensive as fuck but managing your currency and build costs is part of playing efficiently. You see many pro players use efficient builds and get very strong in just a few days on a race or ladder. You have to consider that maybe you just need to learn to play better.
Last edited by Splift on Aug 5, 2014, 4:40:37 PM
I don't agree with the first part (getting an EX I could never afford it, it takes an insane amount of currency since the orbs you get you usually have to use them as well to progress) but I sure as hell agree with the second.

Don't you miss making a sorc and mfing nicely while leveling up your other characters? it felt great doing all this mix in the game! And it didn't feel hard and time consuming even though in the end, it was.

I also agree 100% with Sawm, he sumed it up very well:
"you WERE rewarded in d2, in poe xD you get nothing"
"let me kill shit to find stuff, then my friends will comeback and i wont have to keep adding new people and deleting the endless stream of players who quit..."

He nailed it on the head.

Now Mark what you give as a solution is to me the core of the problem:
"That should make up for what you see as lack of good drops."

NO! I don't want something to MAKE UP FOR the lack of good drops, I would like the lack of good drops to be FIXED so that I can enjoy crushing monsters and finding good loot! The new crafting part should be on TOP of it.

Now think about it, what was the most expensive item in D2? A BOTD? a perfect ethereal HOTO? How long to get it? a month? And yet the game was balanced and played over and over (still today).

In POE, getting a 6 linked sockets armor (I'm not even talking about the armor price itself AND creating 6 sockets) is SO HARD people make lotteries on Twitch just to get it linked, and it can take days. Isn't it obvious there is a little problem here? Are we all going to have to make twitch channels and lotteries to get it, after spending a tremendous amount of time getting the right stuff already?!
Last edited by Dahita on Aug 5, 2014, 5:07:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info