LOL mtx pricing

"
Isbox1 wrote:

Yup - thanks for that clarification... which I totally didn't get until just now.

You obviously don't get it. LoL funds their game through champion and rune purchases on top of cosmetic microtransactions. It's like paying $60 to WWF or something and complaining that you only get a tiny stuffed tiger. That's so unfair! You could go to Toys R Us and buy a huge tiger for $60, what a rip off!
LoL mainly profits by selling heroes/runes though which is a big deal. They can make the distinction of having cheap skins that lure customers to eventually buy heroes.

PoE can not do that so I assume they've went for the most efficient model. I obviously don't have the data and can't tell what works best for them profitwise.

To call LoL more fair is laughable. They gate content behind a paywall. Dota2 however..
Last edited by kasub on Jul 3, 2014, 5:05:39 PM
"
"
Isbox1 wrote:

Yup - thanks for that clarification... which I totally didn't get until just now.

You obviously don't get it. LoL funds their game through champion and rune purchases on top of cosmetic microtransactions. It's like paying $60 to WWF or something and complaining that you only get a tiny stuffed tiger. That's so unfair! You could go to Toys R Us and buy a huge tiger for $60, what a rip off!

Not the same at all. You are talking about a charitable organization vs a gaming company - in the gaming industry - with an already normalized business models in play.

Not sure what model GGG's is trying to base themselves off of - but for your average normal person it's a massive rip off.

Meh - just voting with my wallet - I won't even buy on their "roll back" days considering they already run up their price points over 400%, taking 50% off of a 400% price markup is BS.

You can keep the system and continue paying in to it all you like though. Knowing full well how much of a rip it is.
"
kasub wrote:
LoL mainly profits by selling heroes/runes though which is a big deal. They can make the distinction of having cheap skins that lure customers to eventually buy heroes.

PoE can not do that so I assume they've went for the most efficient model. I obviously don't have the data and can't tell what works best for them profitwise.

To call LoL more fair is laughable. They gate content behind a paywall. Dota2 however..

After playing about 8 different accounts up to 30 over the... oh I dunno... like 4-5 years now... I can say without a doubt that you making a claim there is a "paywall" is just a joke. I unlocked 4-5 more champs last week - and played about 3 ARAM per day and got 1.5k - which is another 5 cheap champs - if I was going for volume... for example.

Champs are 100% free. If you don't enjoy playing the game, then don't (use RL money and just buy the champs). If you want to just play the game and earn IP like I do? Then do it.

It's optional - just like the optional rip off you are trying to convince me of... just like I've already said: I've optionally decided to keep my wallet in my pocket... because of the shit price points... and just like you obviously optionally decided to not play league of legends.

But those of us who actually play never EVER pay real life money to unlock champs. If you do: you are honestly pretty stupid.... or just not really caring about money.

The friends I know who play also use IP to unlock champs, and pay RL money to unlock skins for champs.

Saying "paywall" is just dramatics with no substance.
Last edited by Isbox1 on Jul 3, 2014, 5:13:34 PM
"
Isbox1 wrote:

Not the same at all. You are talking about a charitable organization vs a gaming company - in the gaming industry - with an already normalized business models in play.

You're missing the point again. I'm not comparing the businesses. When you donate to WWF for tigers you're supporting their conservation efforts. You aren't paying for the gift package they send you. When I buy points for PoE I'm supporting their overall development effort of the game. If people didn't treat it the way I do, the game wouldn't exist. The fact GGG is even around and doing well kind of proves my point.

I'm not saying you're wrong (I don't think there's a right or wrong here), just that if you thought of your purchase as going towards the entire game instead of just the MTX you'd feel differently.
Last edited by PureTrancendence on Jul 3, 2014, 5:12:45 PM
"
"
Isbox1 wrote:

You're missing the point again. I'm not comparing the businesses. When you donate to WWF for tigers you're supporting their conservation efforts. You aren't paying for the gift package they send you. When I buy points for PoE I'm supporting their overall development effort of the game. If people didn't treat it the way I do, the game wouldn't exist. The fact GGG is even around and doing well kind of proves my point.

I'm not saying you're wrong (I don't think there's a right or wrong here), just that if you thought of your purchase as going towards the entire game instead of just the MTX you'd feel differently.

I understand the concept of "tipping" - earlier in this conversation I've already explained that I frequently pay 10 bucks for a coffee because of the value in product and service that I receive when I walk through the doors.

I've also supported GGG and other indie gaming companies in the past -
Spoiler
even supported "bad guys" who created servers that *I* wanted to play, for example in Ultima Online when they opened Trammel and broke the game... I happily supported their non-Trammel servers that weren't run by Origin.
- I am totally and completely in to paying companies like GGG to help them grow and blossom. I have my POE t-shirt.

I'm not obtuse here.

What I'm saying though is that the value we are given is very low for the investments we provide. Don't make me list out all the negatives again, please. I, personally feel that 60 dollars should go much further than what we are currently given by GGG for our 60 dollars.

Their MTX are way.... WAY over priced. By about 400-500%.

Anyways - am done with this thread for now - maybe I'll post again in it if it's alive tomorrow.
"
Isbox1 wrote:

I'll say it again: 5 bucks for a complete character makeover is fair. 60 bucks for a complete character makeover is unfair.

5 bucks, 10 skin transfers, complete character makeover, plus some. There you go.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
@Isbox You missed my bigger point which is that LoL still makes a ton of profit by selling heroes/runes. They can afford to have those cheaper cosmetic prices that lure people into buying other things. PoE does not have that similiar income.

Only TF2 and Dota2 are similiar to PoE when it comes to fairness of their f2p model and those games were not created with profit in mind. They were advertising points for steam first and foremost but ended up as some of the most popular PC games.

PoE has to rely on these microtransactions so I assume they go for the model that provides them the most profit so they can keep on developing. There is cheap microtransactions if you're into those though. I've bought many that went for under 50 points. Skin transfers are also great for changing many aspects of your character.
Last edited by kasub on Jul 3, 2014, 5:28:03 PM
"
b15h09 wrote:
"
Isbox1 wrote:

I'll say it again: 5 bucks for a complete character makeover is fair. 60 bucks for a complete character makeover is unfair.

5 bucks, 10 skin transfers, complete character makeover, plus some. There you go.

I think some are fair. 12 bucks for Black Hole Portal actually seems about right, because seriously, what will ever be more epic than that? (Except for the supporter portals which are.... Goooood-tier... except for me, since I am studying to be an Astrophysicist so... Black Hole portal is on the "to-do" list, after buying Ramen Noodles!)
Ign: TheMidgetCow (Level 88.8 CI Leapslam Templar --- Default)
TheMidgetCowAmbush (Level 91.7 Buzzsaw Ranger --- Ambush)
TheMidgetCowBurns (Level X LowLife RF Scion --- Ambush)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/348309/page/1 --- Legacy Guide to CI Leapslam Templar
"
kasub wrote:
"
Isbox1 wrote:
"
MikeOxlittle wrote:
You realize this game is free right ....

Let's check out brand new full games on Steam right now... and next let's compare what 60 bucks gets you in League of Legends...

You tell me the differences.

Realize that league of legends is restricting content purposely that you have to pay for.. I say this as someone who fully supports their f2p model but comparing it to PoE is just silly. League can afford to make all skins cheap since they sell heroes but PoE does not sell such content at all.

I personally do find many of the mtx too expensive but I've leave it to GGG to decide what's the most profitable method of pricing them. I'll settle for those cheap mtx till then.

You can buy all the champions or " heroes " for free? lol...
Their skins are cheap. PoE should revisit the pricing of A LOT of their MTX.
League of Legends
NA - Free Hooks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info