LOL mtx pricing

"
AveiMil wrote:
The MTX prices are really disappointing to me as well. I've put a lot of money into this game and own a lot of different effects but pricing $20 for a single effect is just ridiculous and I feel like I'm being milked.

Not putting any more money into this game with such prices.

It's not like they need people to put more money into it at this point anyway, people have probably already paid for the games lifespan through the different supporter packs and still will.
"Yes, pizza hut? I would like to place an order for three large medium pizzas."
"
AveiMil wrote:
The MTX prices are really disappointing to me as well. I've put a lot of money into this game and own a lot of different effects but pricing $20 for a single effect is just ridiculous and I feel like I'm being milked.

Not putting any more money into this game with such prices.

I feel the same way.

I think if they organized things better - similar to League of Legends... and kept a regular MTX - and then an "exclusive" MTX released once every 6 months... 5 dollars for regular MTX.... 20 dollars for "exclusive" MTX - and then balance maybe 2x 5 dollar MTX per month sort of thing.

Also in their re-organization made portal effects actually work in mapping system - and making it so when you unlock an MTX it is character wide - so every character you ever make can just click into their MTX menu and then select the effects they want to have on that character.
"
ziggro wrote:
I want to know if you like work for free.

League of Legends - this is the basis they should aim for. The best F2P model in online gaming. Period.

Do they work for free? Nope - and every month I still drop 20 bucks into my accounts. Because they make it so easy - and I actually get something worthwhile for my 20 bucks... but also feel like I am just tipping for their services... and that they actually appreciate that, and give me more back for it.

Milking your customers for every penny is what is currently happening here.
"
Isbox1 wrote:
"
ziggro wrote:

League of Legends - this is the basis they should aim for. The best F2P model in online gaming. Period.

Do they work for free? Nope - and every month I still drop 20 bucks into my accounts. Because they make it so easy - and I actually get something worthwhile for my 20 bucks... but also feel like I am just tipping for their services... and that they actually appreciate that, and give me more back for it.

Because cosmetics that don't do anything besides be flashy and show you have an extraordinary amount of money to blow are totally milking us.
"Yes, pizza hut? I would like to place an order for three large medium pizzas."
"
Isbox1 wrote:
"
ziggro wrote:

Let´s make it so that just like in League of legends you either pay for classes and extra character slots or get forced to spend a great amount of time to unlock them all one by one.

Want to play a witch? Sure, but you'll have to spend 2 weeks playing the game , unless you pay $5 to unlock her =)

The way LoL handles things is ridiculous and you know it so let's not do something similar to that in PoE.

Also it seems as if you're forgetting that you're paying for vanity, to look good, to wear special items that you can show off to the world. If you want to look special you'd better be prepared to pay the price.

"

False, they'd be milking the costumers if they made you pay for things that are of importance to the gameplay, it might be important to some to have a cat following them around all day but it does not affect the way the game is played.
"
archiadus wrote:
"
Isbox1 wrote:
"
ziggro wrote:

Let´s make it so that just like in League of legends you either pay for classes and extra character slots or get forced to spend a great amount of time to unlock them all one by one.

Want to play a witch? Sure, but you'll have to spend 2 weeks playing the game , unless you pay $5 to unlock her =)

The way LoL handles things is ridiculous and you know it so let's not do something similar to that in PoE.

Also it seems as if you're forgetting that you're paying for vanity, to look good, to wear special items that you can show off to the world. If you want to look special you'd better be prepared to pay the price.

"

False, they'd be milking the costumers if they made you pay for things that are of importance to the gameplay, it might be important to some to have a cat following them around all day but it does not affect the way the game is played.

1) I have never - and would never spend RL money to unlock a champ in League. That's what Influence points are... and I dropped 7.5k IP last week, and already 3 days later back up to 1.5k. It isn't a long winded, months long process to earn IP. It's quick, it's fun, and you are playing the games anyways so you earn IP via playing.

2) LOL handles things ridiculously? Really? I never see it. I log in week after week and play ARAM, DOM - and just have a BLAST. I don't shit talk, or play like a loser - and if anyone else is, I /mute all. They don't nerf the shit out of the game constantly... and if they ever do change things up, they revamp it logically, and their changes actually make a whole hell of a lot of sense to the systems they have. There could be tremendous imbalances all over the place with that many champs in play - and some games in ARAM you absolutely get imbalance - however the game is very well balanced. Especially comparing it to POE balance.

3) I didn't say anything about paying to unlock classes - it's too late for that. However what they can learn from LOL is the fairness in pricing. LOL pricing system is the cats ass. Paying 5 bucks for a character model is fair. You look completely different head to toe - or you can even pick to look the original form - so much variety - paying 60 bucks to look different is not fair. BIG difference in price to value received.

4) I disagree that it should cost 60 bucks to look different in any game. 5 bucks is reasonable. 10-20 bucks for exclusive/special looks. There isn't even some sort of bonus - lower prices for future MTX the more you have given them... I think someone who's paid 200+ bucks to GGG should only pay like 2 bucks max for anything else they ever make.
Last edited by Isbox1 on Jul 3, 2014, 4:21:54 PM
The difference is that in LoL you pay for content, heck you even have to pay for a rune page which by your given numbers would take 2 weeks of actively playing the game per champion compare that to PoE where you get all that for free.

When I said that LoL handles things ridiculously I was referring to the IP gain compared to pricing of items. It's a time consuming task to get the IP needed to buy champions and runepages for them for the players that have all the time in the world to play, it's even worse for the casual players. Yes the gameplay is fun but the pricing is nowhere near reasonable for the amount of time the games can last vs the IP reward you receive.

Also you say that you like the fairness in pricing yet in the same post you're talking about discounts for players that have spent $$$, how is that fair to the players that don't have as much to spend as others and only buy things occasionally ?

Anyway as not to go off-topic too much. PoE gives you everything that you need to play the game for free and the only thing that you pay for is looking good, and the $60 scenario is only when you want a full set:

"
4) I disagree that it should cost 60 bucks to look different in any game. 5 bucks is reasonable. 10-20 bucks for exclusive/special looks.

10-20 bucks for exclusive/special looks. You want 3 items, 3 times 20 = ?
OP, you're missing the point of the microtransactions. It's an opportunity for you to pay for the continued development of the game if you like playing it and feel GGG deserves your hard-earned money. Anything you get on top of that is just a bonus. The microtransactions offered by GGG are pretty comparable to what Valve offers for Dota 2, another completely free to play game. I understand not everyone views it the same way, but you have to understand you aren't just purchasing an art asset. You're supporting the overall development of the game.
"
archiadus wrote:
The difference is that in LoL you pay for content, heck you even have to pay for a rune page which by your given numbers would take 2 weeks of actively playing the game per champion compare that to PoE where you get all that for free.

When I said that LoL handles things ridiculously I was referring to the IP gain compared to pricing of items. It's a time consuming task to get the IP needed to buy champions and runepages for them for the players that have all the time in the world to play, it's even worse for the casual players. Yes the gameplay is fun but the pricing is nowhere near reasonable for the amount of time the games can last vs the IP reward you receive.

Also you say that you like the fairness in pricing yet in the same post you're talking about discounts for players that have spent $$$, how is that fair to the players that don't have as much to spend as others and only buy things occasionally ?

Anyway as not to go off-topic too much. PoE gives you everything that you need to play the game for free and the only thing that you pay for is looking good, and the $60 scenario is only when you want a full set:

"
4) I disagree that it should cost 60 bucks to look different in any game. 5 bucks is reasonable. 10-20 bucks for exclusive/special looks.

10-20 bucks for exclusive/special looks. You want 3 items, 3 times 20 = ?

The vast majority of players who are actively playing this game will have to invest about 20-30 bucks for tabs. You can go ahead and argue that fact - I already know every single refute you will make before you say them. I've analyzed all sides to what I'm saying - and I stand by my statement which I'll repeat: The vast majority of players who are actively playing this game will have to invest about 20-30 bucks for tabs.

So I dispute your statement here that POE gives you everything you need to play the game for free. The game design itself is a testament to pushing people towards the necessity of tab space... including CHAOS and Alch and Chance NPC reciepes... and currency1+currency2 overflow tabs... that's just to start. Next throw in tabs you'll need to have if you wanted to do something like collect every unique in the game... for example... I mean: shame on me for wanting to do that, I guess.

In sticking to the same vein as League Of Legends: I mean complete character looks for 5 dollar price point. I don't mean each piece in a set to cost 20 bucks - exclusive or not.... I mean 20 dollar total price for their "exclusive" MTX - but that 20 dollars would cover the entire character and not just 1 out of 4 pieces.

And I also believe that in the current MTX environment - not changing, or moving towards a more fair and equitable system that I outlined above - that those who have paid a total 200 to them already should get MASSIVE pricing discounts on future MTX. You've already supported - this also does not hurt anyone who hasn't paid them anything yet.
"
OP, you're missing the point of the microtransactions. It's an opportunity for you to pay for the continued development of the game if you like playing it and feel GGG deserves your hard-earned money. Anything you get on top of that is just a bonus. The microtransactions offered by GGG are pretty comparable to what Valve offers for Dota 2, another completely free to play game. I understand not everyone views it the same way, but you have to understand you aren't just purchasing an art asset. You're supporting the overall development of the game.

Yup - thanks for that clarification... which I totally didn't get until just now.

This is why I'm hyping LOL set up as a F2P model, by the way, because I always feel more value back from RIOT as a company when I pay 20 bucks and get 4 complete character models back - completely changing the looks/moods of whatever character or day I'm playing.

I'll say it again: 5 bucks for a complete character makeover is fair. 60 bucks for a complete character makeover is unfair.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info