Dmillz's 1H Molten Strike Volcano Build (Invasion easy) - 1.1.3

"
yttuncel wrote:
I decided to reroll to see the build myself and to inform the rest of the community. I bought the advised items:
Spoiler

My gems on the other hand are not high level. I like to see the progression of the tooltip dmg with increasing gem level. Currently MS is level 10 and tooltip is around 4k. This is not enough for high level maps, so I hope this value at least doubles as MS gets level 17-18ish. I considered picking up the reserved mana nodes near sovereignty (top left section of our fellow galaxy :) ) to run hatred+deter.+tempest shield, but as far as I calculated, the left mana (around 80 mana) would not be enough to spam MS (which has 50 mana requirement). What is your opinion on this matter?

so my setup is a little different from dmillz. Because of that I only have about 80-87 mana left after reservation. What I found is that I need more than 2% mana leech on gear. Remember, only 40% of the tooltip is actually physical damage. So, you are not leeching the cap. With 4K you are doing 1600 physical and 2% leech means you have 32 mana leech.

I use 4% mana leech (2 rings with leech) and sustain fine. There can be a slight hiccup for kiting enemies (like when piety runs around) but I do have a sanctified mana pot. Thing is, I don't exactly need it. I just run it sometimes. Especially when I activate vaal haste. If I

Now, I don't run conc effect yet. I run faster attacks.
here's my gear. I currently have about 8.1K tooltip. Level 75. health about 4.7K. When I was messing with the mana (switching off BM gem) I had about 5K tooltip. That was before doryani's and with lower level multistrike and hatred (around 16-17). Mana cost is around 50

Spoiler

tree

Whenever I get to a 6Link I may consider taking mana reservation nodes.
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
Getting more mana leech helps, but getting more max mana helps more. You want to try to get 700+ max mana if possible from gear/passives (mana flows). I don't have that much yet but if I did it would make a huge difference.
IGN: Dmillz
"
Dmillz wrote:
Getting more mana leech helps, but getting more max mana helps more. You want to try to get 700+ max mana if possible from gear/passives (mana flows). I don't have that much yet but if I did it would make a huge difference.

+1.

I found it hard to maximize my mana and a little easier to go for 4% mana leech. But a 2% leech ring and one with high +mana and +mana regen would likely work

This is a great tool to figure out how much mana you may have left after auras.
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
Is it even worth it to run tempest shield when the lightning damage doesn't do enough to freeze non-white mobs?
^^ I agree with the above, I can't seem to freeze people using tempest shield with the three dragons helm either...
Last edited by Rudraa on May 25, 2014, 1:08:59 AM
Would it be worth it to get bringer of rain + aegis for this build?
i created MS build myself but as it looks to follow OP steps i decided to share my thoughts on it

i just reached 59, so my (chanced) soul taker is finally available to me. dps is OK, gear is mostly random but it is already possible to comment on gameplay

gear:
Spoiler

tree:

1) MS has terrible sound and animation. this looks and sounds cheap and is deafening after prolonged fight. good stuff that the timing is bit randomized so it is not mind numbing

2) Multistrike. I never liked this gem. I've used it in ZERO builds previously (but managed to get it to lvl 20 and almost back while playing other builds). It has obvious merits but people tend to use it without any thought put into it. Multistrike is ofc a dmg buff but it has drawbacks, mainly targeting and opportunity damage (that is other gems one can use instead). However i felt that for MS multristrike is a good choice and it seems to be. But i simply cannot stand that random targeting of mobs that im hitting with blobs anyway. IT might be a damage buff but im not so sure if it is an effective damage buff. boss fights tend to drag as long as minions are there to spoil the targeting..
Right now I consider replacing Multistrike with TBD gem. I simply cant stand that autotargeting and stupid sounding of MS

3) Three Dragons. Shocks are real however are very short and im pretty sure that their effective net gain isnt significant. but it is a gain anyway and 3D is acceptable helm.

4) Mana cost. HUGE. First i spammed flasks and Warlords Mark, then I spammed bigger flasks and finally got Thiefs Torment. and all mana issues went away. This item is simply created to support Molten Strike

- Mana on Hit is absolutely broken affix. there is a reason this is not available from normal gear and corrupted value is +1 max
- LGOH + life leech from gear is enough, so no need for LGOH gem == more damage.
This one item (or 2 if you count possible slots) solves ALL mana problems and saves one link (LGOH). Pretty damn good deal for an item that has also some other stats (IIQ!)

5) Auras. Still not decided. Probably Grace + Lightning Coil at some point. But right now LGOH makes all fights trivial. Damage Auras are difficult to judge (3D). Haste looks like good choice as the build is pretty much ASPD based

in general MS is a FANTASTIC leveling skill (esp with 2h) that pretty much without any dmg nodes carried me to 59 with bad gear and -4% fire resists during cruel domino fight.
just got this for VERY cheap (worst roll possible) and divined it:

anyone has any experience with this mace?

it has damage higher than soul taker, has higher crit (and i planned to go crit anyway) and is just slightly slower than soultaker. im 61 now so there are 14 levels ahead of me to plan for it. but the question is - is it worth it? it surely looks like it is but is there anyone with practical experience?
"
sidtherat wrote:
just got this for VERY cheap (worst roll possible) and divined it:

anyone has any experience with this mace?

it has damage higher than soul taker, has higher crit (and i planned to go crit anyway) and is just slightly slower than soultaker. im 61 now so there are 14 levels ahead of me to plan for it. but the question is - is it worth it? it surely looks like it is but is there anyone with practical experience?

I'd say if you can manage your mana that bad boy is best in slot
http://www.twitch.tv/johmasho
it is BIS for any MS build

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info