1.3 The Community's Molten Strike, Face Melting Build!! 1h+shield and 2h variants available

"
Fhark wrote:
Btw Arsenaldo I saw in your build that you were using a lvl 20 increased duration with a lower level cwdt. Ive been keeping my Increased Duration below the lvl of the cwdt thinking it would lose the support. Its great to see someone take this to endgame and its an impressive passive tree and gear your running.

Thanks Fhark :)
Increased Duration has nothing to do with CWDT, it will 100% max support to immortal call's duration.

IGN: Knightsly_ARM; Chaosly
Last edited by Arsenaldo on Jun 21, 2014, 3:42:50 AM
@Arsenaldo:

Thanks for the detailed response and especially the screenshot, it was very "illuminating"

I have since removed Unwavering Stance from my build and picked up an Aegis Aurora in standard league for 6 Exalted to test out using Tempest Shield - Iron Will - Blind.

What do you mean by the following?
"
Arsenaldo wrote:

* The idea of add Iron will is Iron will works with L20 Elemental proliferation.

I thought elemental proliferation only works with burn, shock, chill/freeze status effects.
"
SteamPoE2080 wrote:
@Arsenaldo:

Thanks for the detailed response and especially the screenshot, it was very "illuminating"

I have since removed Unwavering Stance from my build and picked up an Aegis Aurora in standard league for 6 Exalted to test out using Tempest Shield - Iron Will - Blind.

What do you mean by the following?
"
Arsenaldo wrote:

* The idea of add Iron will is Iron will works with L20 Elemental proliferation.

I thought elemental proliferation only works with burn, shock, chill/freeze status effects.

@SteamPoe2080
Whoops,my mt, I'll re-edit again.It should be "Iron will works with Tempest shield.

Tempest shield is the main skill, the damage from Tempest shield is Spell damage.So all the support gems;spell support gems and fire/lightning/cold support gems will work with tempest shield.
examples of gems will support Tempest shield
support gems example
also the elemental proliferation

spell support gems example

elemental support gems example

Any other (attacks/melee/projector/minion/duration)supports gems will not work with Tempest shield.
examples of gems will NOT support Tempest shield

Increased duration is "Duration" support gem
WED is "attack" support
MPD is "melee" support

there are so many others, best to check poe wiki for the list.

If u have Tempest shield+curse on hit+curse+Increased duration, the Increased duration will support the curse duration, but has nothing to do with the Tempest shield.

Back to the topic, why i choose Iron will? main reasons i have already stated above;
1:Iron will also the blind will not take extra mana reservation, so i can have tempest shield on top of other 2 auras(40%+60%).
2:Iron will is red socket gem same as Reduced mana, so u can do the snapshot.
3:The bonus from Iron will is not significant, but I can't find other better option. The bonus from Blind is amazing.

Btw, buy the high roll of increased e-dmg with weapon Ageis,with that the shield also boots up your dps.

GL and HF for your build progress :)

IGN: Knightsly_ARM; Chaosly
"
SteamPoE2080 wrote:
@Arsenaldo:

What is the point of removing Unwavering Stance?
"
Tomark wrote:
"
SteamPoE2080 wrote:
@Arsenaldo:

What is the point of removing Unwavering Stance?

The 75% chance to evade blinded enemies is negated by Unwavering Stance.

On another note:
Once snapshotting is removed, running Tempest Shield with a Lvl20 reduced mana gem and grabbing a passive node (as Fhark suggests) or two will probably be necessary to fit it in with Anger and a defensive Aura. Or a using a 20/20 gem. Spending the currency instead of passives might be the better choice here.
Last edited by SteamPoE2080 on Jun 21, 2014, 10:27:01 PM
SteamPoE2080 Wrote
"
Or a using a 20/20 gem. Spending the currency instead of passives might be the better choice here.

Does the quality level affect mana reserved reduced? I looked into it but couldn't really find an answer it seems tempest shield is a skill that use's % mana reserved. Its a much better idea to keep a couple of passives when you can afford a 20/20 mana red.
Last edited by Fhark on Jun 22, 2014, 5:33:02 PM
"
Fhark wrote:
SteamPoE2080 Wrote
"
Or a using a 20/20 gem. Spending the currency instead of passives might be the better choice here.

Does the quality level affect mana reserved reduced? I looked into it but couldn't really find an answer it seems tempest shield is a skill that use % mana reserved. Its a much better idea to keep a couple of passives when you can afford a 20/20 mana red.

You are right about quality not working with mana reserved.
Found the info on good ole http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Reduced_Mana.

Looks like those mana nodes will be needed after all.

Level: 67

Name: Lavabit
(In memoriam of the great e-mail service they provided and I loved to use, before the NSL came and the CEO/admin went manmode marauder by just shutting it down instead of giving all the data/e-mails away, as far as I understood the case. And because ... he throws out bit's of lava. :D)

(oh I forgot)League: Ambush

Current tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEABS0OPBQgFHEYkRpVG8gdFCSqJy8ppTJ-Nug26TpSPfxDMUp9TipQR1XGVvpXDVhjWK9Z81uvXhNfP2BLYSFko2aeZ6BnvWoeapNyqXRBdO1253rvfNmE74cph3aKIozPj0aQCpBVkc6boZ7Nn8ukrKTCpzCoGKyqr422QbvtvJ--p8APwBrA88bYz2XQ0NIh0k3V7d0N42rjn-5v7w7yL_ZI9zL60vzF

Future tree (for as long as I'm using Kaom's Primacy):
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38jM_2SF8_458nL-8OvJ-krPIvqBhqHtIhns1251cNpzCRzhRxFCC77Q48UEf3MjpSn8sYkXKpMn426KyqfNlko1nzGlXAGmEhkFVmnoTv-tJeE3TtHRQ26RvIeu-PRiSq42pDMWBL0NC2QQUtm6HPZU4qZ71VxluvKaXub90N_MVW-megiiJ0QYd2wPOkwkp9fPXAplivhymnhBo47DhX4jKJBLMCcXfl8B-iABmFGmzz3WqT1e3AD9JNvqc=

Items:

I had lots of fun while leveling it, but I don't think I'll play maps with this build. Not because the build is not good, but because I still don't like melee chars at all.
Hellgate:London
The best melee experience was Hellgate:London v.1.0 with their Blademaster one-button gameplay. :) (btw/OT: Selling "Lifetime Access" and shutting down the servers after just one year = don't release a game again please. I didn't buy it but I still feel scamed. I know sometimes things aren't that easy, the server costs are high and the playerbase is declining, but if you sell a lifetime acc. you CAN NOT shutdown the servers after one year no matter what. It feels like a scam.)
/end of Hellgate:London rant

Leveling with this build is fun because it's very powerful for it in my opinion. I had no problems at all and was able to solo everyhing easily, but I also had a ton of leveling gear available.

I'm using Rainbowstride and Aurseize just because I had no replacement for them and didn't want to search/buy something for these slots right now. (I wanted to play, not shop. Because Molten Strike is acutally very fun and the char was strong enough.) Attack speed on gloves would be nice though, 1.0 APS sucks. Rainbowstride/The Anvil I only wear because I wanted to switch to 1h/shield early, but the damage was verrry very bad compared to Kaom's Primacy with a random rare phys. dmg 1h axe. :)

I'm also using AoF. I'm not a math guy, just spec't into AoF and tested it -> loads of additional damage at least it feels like it.

I never snapshotted anything and I'm playing since the start of the open beta phase so I can't tell anything about that. I always boykotted snapshotting although I was aware of the mechanic, I never liked it and I'm glad they are removing it. It's bullshit. :)
/end of snapshot rant

It's a very fun build and it is believe it or not my first melee char ever.
Thanks for creating this to everyone who is involved, I had a fun time playing it!

It's kind of fitting, reaches 66 at dominus after "submit heretic", dies to dominus.
No Exp. loss, kills dominus.
End of game. Just like it was at lavabit, it ended where it should just have started.

Keep in mind that english is not my native language when ranting about my writing. <3
Feel free to rant about all the "I"'s :D
Last edited by BONERPARTE on Jun 23, 2014, 3:32:16 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on how to improve the build I've got?

I followed this build more or less from its inception, than basically sat back for a while to get the currency together to make some improvements. Couldn't afford a LC 6-link, so I settled with the five-link version. I'm currently looking to upgrade the boots so that I can ditch the shield and it's resistances for a Lioneye's Remorse. Don't have the currency for an AA shield unfortunately. The atziri's mirror shield actually does the trick for something so cheap. It gets a lot of bad press because people were miffed when they found out that the 'mirror' didn't actually prevent you from being cursed. It gives resistances a nice boost, gives defensive numbers that can't be sneezed at, a boost to Int. which I really need at the moment, plus of course it DOES actually throw curses back, which can help matters. The amulet I need at the moment because I have to keep the numbers up to run two auras, plus the bonus it gives to attributes is something I can't lose at the moment. Vulnerability is only something I swapped in recently, as I feel it does better manually than trying to keep Enfeeble ticking along at lower levels with CWDT.

As far as the skill tree is concerned, I've pretty well followed the initial layout to a T, though I've noticed that Avatar of Fire has since been dropped. Don't know why - when I removed it as an experiment I lost over 1000 dps, so I took it back again. My last point I used to add 30 Int. because I'll need it in order to swap out the shield - once I get the extra res I need from the new boots I'm looking to buy.

HP is currently at around 4000, DPS and armour are at 6200 and 9000 respectively when running Grace and Hatred. Grace I've had to keep at level 14 because of Dex. issues.

I was really hoping that this build would give me a good run to Atziri, but I think I'm going to run out of steam well before then. Doing maps to level 70 - 72 at the moment, which seems about my limit as things stand. I thought of trying to save up the cash for a 6-link LC, but I don't really want to go to all that grind if it's only going to give me a minor upgrade - don't know how much of a boost Faster Attack, etc will give me DPS wise on the 6th socket.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecCcQSzBS0OPBQgFE0YkRmFGjgaVRvIHRQkqicvKaUyfjKJNI426DbpOlI9_EE_Qo5DMUp9TipQR1HmVcZW-lcNV-JYY1nzW69eE18_YEthIWSjZp5noGe9ah5yqXRBdO1253fleu982YTvhjuHdozPj0aQCpBVkc6boZ7Nn8uiAKSspMKnMKeEqBisqq-NtC-0-bZBu-28n8AaxtjPZdDQ0iHdDd7B42rjn-St7Djub-8O8B_yL_ZI9zL3vvrS_MU=

NOTE - In case anyone queries Leap Slam and Arctic Armour being paired up, while I do use the former for the occasional escape, they're just along for the ride for leveling/selling purposes, same as the gems on the alternate weapon not shown.
Last edited by timbo1959 on Jun 25, 2014, 3:20:49 PM
"
timbo1959 wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on how to improve the build I've got?

HP is currently at around 4000, DPS and armour are at 6200 and 9000 respectively when running Grace and Hatred. Grace I've had to keep at level 14 because of Dex. issues.

I was really hoping that this build would give me a good run to Atziri, but I think I'm going to run out of steam well before then. Doing maps to level 70 - 72 at the moment, which seems about my limit as things stand. I thought of trying to save up the cash for a 6-link LC, but I don't really want to go to all that grind if it's only going to give me a minor upgrade - don't know how much of a boost Faster Attack, etc will give me DPS wise on the 6th socket.

There's really two ways to go, either Doriyani's & shield or 2-handed. Since you are going the defensive route with a shield, the build Arsenaldo outlined on page 65 is going to give you a stronger character in the high levels. Once you pick up a Lioneye's Remorse you will be better off running Determination instead of Grace. I would also suggest looking at Anger instead of Hatred; from where I sit, it gives higher DPS. Plus Determination & Anger are less common in groups so they wont be redundant as often as Grace and Hated. Every Scion, Ranger, and Duelist runs them already.

The DPS on this build will never be as good as the pure offensive builds you party up with. DPS envy is just something this guy will have to live with. But the only times I have died in the past few weeks has been from a ton of corrupted blood stacks without me knowing they were there in time. Get your block chance up to 75% first and then you can work more on offensive key nodes in the passive tree. Rearranging equipment to fit in a Stone of Lazhwar is totally worth the 47% chance to block spells (I don't really get cursed anymore so it must work for that too).

Going Lightning Coil is good for a while but there will be a time to ditch it. You will probably need to free up the chest slot and use it for big resist/armor/HP stats so you can wear the Stone of Lazhwar and Lioneye's Remorse. Honestly, physical damage is not a problem at all with this build so dropping Lightning Coil is fine. Right now I am still in 5L chest piece with high armor but low resist and no HP...Waiting and saving for an uber 6L.

Good luck with continuing the build.

Edit to add more opinions:
Looking at your gear you have a LOT invested into resists and very little in Life. I believe this is going to be your limiting factor. With a Lioneye's and Detemination you can achieve a very high phys damage reduction. If I equip Lioneye's and run Grace and Determination together, I get 65% phys damage reduction. Just Determination by itself gives 59%. I would absolutely swap Lightning Coil (and needed resists) out for new gear with more HP/armor.
Last edited by SteamPoE2080 on Jun 25, 2014, 4:15:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info