1.3 The Community's Molten Strike, Face Melting Build!! 1h+shield and 2h variants available

They travel, yes, but if the distance travelled is 0-10 (from the originating point), the damage bonus of 50% will be applied to the hit. According to the wiki, 6 "distance" is the range of a 2h wep.

Negative damage effects would occur at distances above 35, which is hardly the case with the Molten Strike projectiles. And certainly not when Concentrated Effect is used.

This is how I have understood it anyway, I'm deffo not SURE :)
"
Absolutista wrote:
"
Dharmatrooper wrote:
Guys, im confused about taking Point blank.

Its says that projectiles will do less damage at far distance but as far as i know molten strike projectiles do SPLASH damage when they LANDED (basicly at the end of their fly distance) and do no damage when they fly. So basicly Point blank just reduce overall damage?

Actually they (projectiles) will always do 50% MORE damage if you have point blank. Reason being: this 'distance' is taken from where the projectiles originate i.e. the initial melee hit. And since they barely travel from that point its always within the maximum damage range for point blank.

I was wondering if this is true, and as Mark from GGG states, it isn't. You won't get the max dmg multiplier from Point Blank always, but with no inc. aoe mods, you will still get a very significant damage boost on your projectiles, so it's worth taking.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/916639/page/2

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The projectiles travel a random distance between 5 units and 20 units, with the latter distance being affected by AoE increases (the minimum distances is always 5). Point Blank gives a 50% damage bonus only until range 10, which would thus cover only a third of the projectiles with no AoE increase.

And as Scrotie added:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
To clarify this for people who need clarification:
  • Past 10 units, Point Blank's bonus scales down linearly 2% per unit, until reach it reaches 0% more (same damage as without Point Blank) at a distance of 35 units. This means Point Blank on Molten Strike and 0% increased AoE would be an average increase of about 43% more damage, at always at least 30% more damage.
  • Mark said "with no AoE increase" because increasing AoE radius allows projectiles to travel further than 20 units. So if you have % increase AoE, Point Blank becomes less effective. With 40% increased area of effect, Point Blank gives an average of 35.75% more damage, and always at least 14% more damage.
  • Conversely, if you have reduced Area of Effect (through Concentrated Effect), Point Blank becomes more effective; assuming -30% AoE, Point Blank gives an average of 48% more damage, and always at least 42% more.
1H+Shield High Block&Spell Block Tank: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/868995
Ice Crash Crit Staff AKA "The Shaterring Karui": https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1289037
Tanky Block+AR+EV Ranger Crit Reave Dagger/Claw: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1301888
"
ComradeSerge wrote:
"
Absolutista wrote:
"
Dharmatrooper wrote:
Guys, im confused about taking Point blank.

Its says that projectiles will do less damage at far distance but as far as i know molten strike projectiles do SPLASH damage when they LANDED (basicly at the end of their fly distance) and do no damage when they fly. So basicly Point blank just reduce overall damage?

Actually they (projectiles) will always do 50% MORE damage if you have point blank. Reason being: this 'distance' is taken from where the projectiles originate i.e. the initial melee hit. And since they barely travel from that point its always within the maximum damage range for point blank.

I was wondering if this is true, and as Mark from GGG states, it isn't. You won't get the max dmg multiplier from Point Blank always, but with no inc. aoe mods, you will still get a very significant damage boost on your projectiles, so it's worth taking.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/916639/page/2

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The projectiles travel a random distance between 5 units and 20 units, with the latter distance being affected by AoE increases (the minimum distances is always 5). Point Blank gives a 50% damage bonus only until range 10, which would thus cover only a third of the projectiles with no AoE increase.

And as Scrotie added:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
To clarify this for people who need clarification:
  • Past 10 units, Point Blank's bonus scales down linearly 2% per unit, until reach it reaches 0% more (same damage as without Point Blank) at a distance of 35 units. This means Point Blank on Molten Strike and 0% increased AoE would be an average increase of about 43% more damage, at always at least 30% more damage.
  • Mark said "with no AoE increase" because increasing AoE radius allows projectiles to travel further than 20 units. So if you have % increase AoE, Point Blank becomes less effective. With 40% increased area of effect, Point Blank gives an average of 35.75% more damage, and always at least 14% more damage.
  • Conversely, if you have reduced Area of Effect (through Concentrated Effect), Point Blank becomes more effective; assuming -30% AoE, Point Blank gives an average of 48% more damage, and always at least 42% more.

thank you for the clarification. I could detect a huge dps increase when speccing it myself so I assumed it was a 50% multiplier.. but it makes sense that its slightly bellow that in actuality.
"
ComradeSerge wrote:
"
Absolutista wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

This is what i wanted to know! So yes, PB is must have then!
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ*̫͡*ʕ•͓͡•ʔ-̫͡-ʕ•̫͡•ʔ*̫͡*ʔ
Great clarifications. The conclusion seems to be that it's worth taking, especially in combination with concentrated effect.
Ok so I've tried point blank and because i can't see actual numbers changed i can only trust my feelings which telling me that literally nothing happens. Speed of clearing packs or single targets remain the same or even little worse maybe.

My current setup is like this:
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ*̫͡*ʕ•͓͡•ʔ-̫͡-ʕ•̫͡•ʔ*̫͡*ʔ
Really wish I had a 6 link so I could run conc effect.

i bought a CWDT gem last night and linked enfeeble, molten shell, and cry to it. Enfeeble really helps.

I also switch over to a 2H weapon. I really wish I could use a 1H with shield but I just wasn't making enough DPS.
Anyone curious about the 1H build should know it in fact does much more dps.....

A big slow 2 hand weapon hits so much slower that you actually do less dps. This is atleast, while specced for static blows and using three dragons.

I went from the marohi to:

My passive is planned like this for 89, I am 80 right now:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecCcQSzBS0UTRmFGjgaVRpsHRQjTSSqJy8yfjKJNug26TpSQDZAoERySn1Vxlb6Vw1X4livWfNbr14TXz9gS2EhZKNmnmegZ71qHnKpdEF07Xbnd9d35XrvfNl_K4M4hMSE74d2j0aQCpBVkc6boZ65oLSiAKSspMKnhKgYrKqvjbT5u-28n8Aaz2XQ0NIh1ordDeNq45_sOO5v7w7vfPAf8i_zBvPd9zL60vzFns2nMCFgdPEY24cpw4bnkayvcH2AVk99UWBMNSjF875E5xQgUEcYkQ==

My tool tip dps is slightly lower than w/ marohi but it is definitely a lie. I am killing 3-4x as fast.

Also I got out of unwavering stance and iron reflexes, because they are both actually something that will make you less tanky. Unwavering is worthless w/ over 4k life. I forgot this when I specced originally.

With only 4500 evasion running grace I have a 36% or so chance to evade, that chance is doubled up to a whopping 72% for projectiles w/ ondars guile. What about armor you say, omg the armor! well, lightning coil gives me basically a 40% phys dmg reduction when it is piped to lightning damage instead with super high resistance.

Not to mention I am now specced in to a ton of block actually making me much tankier than a 2 hand guy while doing more dps. Also using stone of lazwar, now gives me a 50% of my total block on spells.
Last edited by Riverside77 on May 7, 2014, 10:50:41 AM
Hmm seemed like for templar , there is only the AoF build?

Is there other build rather than Aof if i'm a templar?
Or is there no point in choosing templar for molten strike if I don't do the AoF route?

"
Oakville wrote:
Hmm seemed like for templar , there is only the AoF build?

Is there other build rather than Aof if i'm a templar?
Or is there no point in choosing templar for molten strike if I don't do the AoF route?

There is no real point in choosing Templar for Molten Strike but it isn't that bad. You definitely don't have to go AoF.
IGN: Dmillz
Last edited by Dmillz on May 7, 2014, 11:06:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info