GGGs reasoning on not making a SFL?

"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Malone wrote:
SFL will be the death of PoE, please never do that.
Eh. Although I think SFL is a bad idea, I wouldn't rate it that high on the list of apocalyptic scenarios. I'd estimate the damage as approximately the same as that of this season's Invasion League fiasco, if it was made permanent — unhealthy for the game, but not a death knell, and some players actually wouldn't notice at all.

However, I am sure of one thing: SFL would be the death of these forums. It would send a clear message to the players that they will get results if they endless berate GGG on a topic in which GGG themselves have little interest. The forums would believe from that point forward that they, not GGG, are in control of Path of Exile; this would persist for years even if GGG did not, in fact, cave to other demands. I don't think the game itself would die, but any hope at reasonable discourse would.
I guarantee what would end up happening if they actually did get a sfl is they would at first flood the forums with all praises to sf jesus then a week or two later they'd be right back here bitching about how GGG didn't do sfl right and it's worthless unless GGG fixes it in a way they demand.

guarantee it
Pretty much. They'd play it until they got tired of the league inherent bullshit and then QQ about it en masse as they quit the league and went on to play in some other league. In other words, pretty much exactly like Invasion... which is why I used it as an example of the degree of damage it would cause.

Of course, some players haven't ever played Invasion, and thus have nothing to QQ about. Same would be true of a SFL; it wouldn't hurt everyone. This, however, does not make Invasion a good execution, and it doesn't make SFL a good idea.

The core problem with the concept of a SFL is that it wouldn't solve any problems. It is a solution for nothing, disguised as a solution. It would be like if your computer had a shit video card, and you were having FPS problems playing PoE, and for some strange reason you were hung up on the idea that conventional hard drives were the Devil and SSD was the only way to go. If you went through with the upgrade, I'm not saying it would be all bad... but it wouldn't really fix what you're trying to fix. It would be very disappointing, and a waste of money. A league with no trading and increased drop rates isn't magically going to fix the problems self-found players face. It'll essentially be the exact same shit we have no, but with no trading.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 25, 2014, 4:12:32 AM
Because game design revolves around a trade pyramid.

Game does not have a certain skill/commitment thresh-hold for success, it simply wants to ensure bottom %60~ will be the bottom feeders who sell all the rarer stuff they find to upper parts of pyramid, %35~ will be middle guys who can effort high end maps and not GG but very good gear, and top %5 accumulate the wealth of the whole population to access crafting and high end GG items.

Now if there were a SFL, then these %60~ bottom feeders would go there immediately. That would ruin the game for the people who used to be middle guys and they would move to SFL slowly. And in the end the people who used to be top %5 would be out of currency farmed by suckers and would be left without a market to feed them.

But those fears are totally invalid, because bots will always make up for any number of loss on bottom feeders.
I only play SF (i hate bartering) so i would like SFL.

And i don't want to use poe.xyz because using that while being anti-AH is just hypocrytic.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Malone wrote:
SFL will be the death of PoE, please never do that.
Eh. Although I think SFL is a bad idea, I wouldn't rate it that high on the list of apocalyptic scenarios. I'd estimate the damage as approximately the same as that of this season's Invasion League fiasco, if it was made permanent — unhealthy for the game, but not a death knell, and some players actually wouldn't notice at all.

However, I am sure of one thing: SFL would be the death of these forums. It would send a clear message to the players that they will get results if they endless berate GGG on a topic in which GGG themselves have little interest. The forums would believe from that point forward that they, not GGG, are in control of Path of Exile; this would persist for years even if GGG did not, in fact, cave to other demands. I don't think the game itself would die, but any hope at reasonable discourse would.

The drop allocation incident already set precedent.

I don't think POE or the forums would be any worse or better because of a SFL and find the whole idea of stagnating visions,ideals and gameplay being held to heart on some kind of *principle* a much worse proposition for POE and GGG.

At any rate,no evidence for or against just opinions from both camps.

IIRC Chris did post official reasons why they aren't considering a SFL,but as usual neither you or I started the thread and shouldn't be relied upon to search for something the OP should have searched himself/herself.

=)
Per Chris:

"We feel that a really important part of playing an online ARPG is the ability to be able to trade the items that you find. The reason why they feel so amazing to loot and collect is because they have value to other players. Having a league where everything is soulbound is of no interest to us. We welcome players to play self-found if they’d like to (and are trying to make sure its balance is fair where we can – several of the changes in release address item acquisition and solo vs party balance), but it’s important that players can trade their items if they so choose."

http://www.incgamers.com/2013/10/path-of-exile-interview-chris-wilson/2

Now feel free to ignore that the OP has been answered and carry on with the usual pro/anti SFL talking points.
Offline version = hacks

Hacks make it from offline to online version because people got the codes and stuff

No SFL because its their game and they dont want to do it, they dont want a league with no trading because they want a trade based ingame economy. I dont like it that crafting means less than trading but oh well, so be it. SFL, please no, orb drops slightly increased, please yes.
we already have self found leagues, they are quite challenging and fun, we call them races. to bad they are like 1 hour instead of 3 months.

The actual reason why GGG hasnt make a SFL is because the game was never designed to be beaten solo, with solo finds.

To make it worse, there would be PRO´s with actual skill/ingame knowledge/ luck (tons of luck BTW) who would be able to beat the game.

This bring a huge problem, imagine if every idiot who play this game had no excuse for sucking more than others, what would they say when they found out other people beat the game in a more "hardcore mode" they where able. Can you imagine the Rage this people would feel? specially in a community with such a great EGOS for playing this so called "hardcore" game.

I personally love descent races, selfound system is great and your build evolves with your findings, there is no long term planning, you could be going from bow to spells to mellee within 5 minutes.

But yea even if it exist there would be the need for cheaper than regrets for rebuilding. and quests/ challenges should award currency kinda like in races
IGN: RFFP
"
Sisaroth wrote:
I only play SF (i hate bartering) so i would like SFL.

And i don't want to use poe.xyz because using that while being anti-AH is just hypocrytic.

Since you can play SF already why make a league for it?
It's going to happen, same with the death of FFA loot and the buff to socket and linking with quality, now they are going to buff fusing again.

Grinding is becoming less hardcore and that is the only aspect of the game that is hardcore to me. Trying to please everyone ends up pleasing no one. Just wish they would make up their minds so I can either enjoy myself or leave.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

I guarantee what would end up happening if they actually did get a sfl is they would at first flood the forums with all praises to sf jesus then a week or two later they'd be right back here bitching about how GGG didn't do sfl right and it's worthless unless GGG fixes it in a way they demand.

guarantee it
Pretty much. They'd play it until they got tired of the league inherent bullshit and then QQ about it en masse as they quit the league and went on to play in some other league. In other words, pretty much exactly like Invasion... which is why I used it as an example of the degree of damage it would cause.

Of course, some players haven't ever played Invasion, and thus have nothing to QQ about. Same would be true of a SFL; it wouldn't hurt everyone. This, however, does not make Invasion a good execution, and it doesn't make SFL a good idea.

The core problem with the concept of a SFL is that it wouldn't solve any problems. It is a solution for nothing, disguised as a solution. It would be like if your computer had a shit video card, and you were having FPS problems playing PoE, and for some strange reason you were hung up on the idea that conventional hard drives were the Devil and SSD was the only way to go. If you went through with the upgrade, I'm not saying it would be all bad... but it wouldn't really fix what you're trying to fix. It would be very disappointing, and a waste of money. A league with no trading and increased drop rates isn't magically going to fix the problems self-found players face. It'll essentially be the exact same shit we have no, but with no trading.

It's beyond me that why you still consider SFL as a proposed solution. SF is a play-style like how Hardcore mode is another. SFL will only give players who prefer that play style an isolated happy place.
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info