GGGs reasoning on not making a SFL?

"
AnotherJuan wrote:
"
kussekurt wrote:
"
AnotherJuan wrote:
136 pages, so yeah it's worth doing.

Half of the post are people saying its a bad idea. 10-20% are trolling, and the rest is just the same guys (or at least players with next to no activity ingame or on forum, lol)

If only half of these agree, even minus 20% trolls, then there are 54 pages of people wanting this on this thread alone. And the forum will be comprised disproportionately of players actively involved in the social side of the game (including trading). Also explains why many of the people for it have little forum involvement (like me - busted, lol)

Dude, I said many of the people posting are the same people. 54 for pages written by alot of the same people :) Im out now, said I wouldnt participate in this for a while. Just had to say this.

Have fun :)

Edit: To the guy below me.

Pretty sure you should read a couple of post back of what you were commenting on in the first place, and you will realize exactly what I mean by you having a low level of comprehension, lol.
Last edited by kussekurt on Jul 26, 2014, 6:33:28 AM
"
kussekurt wrote:
"
Barium wrote:
"
kussekurt wrote:
The reason is that you can already play Selffound.

I hope GGG never falls for this and breaks their own (beautiful) game!

You can already play hardcore in standard, just delete your character. But wait, we still have hardcore league, how odd.
Your statement was used hundred times already and it's still not really an argument against making of SFL at all.

P.S.: plz explain and argument how would a SFL break their game?

Lol, you little stalker, someone have been reading my post history, ha? - Ill say this again, just for you, as your comprehension seems to be close to zero:
I dont rip (At least not that often :P) I play HC because other people rips, meaning there will always be people to buy all tiers of gear.

And for your second question, I already answered that in a spoiler a couple of posts back(Again a clear indication of your comprehension levels), but now that Im telling it to you, you should go back and read it. Im not about to go back and copy paste it for you again.

Please try harder next time - Lol!

1. I never read any1's post history on this game forum, FYI.
2. I don't know how your story about you playing HC-style explains the contradiction with having HC league while you could do it HC-like in standard anyways, but at the same time using this exact statement for SFL-play style against creating SFL itself.
3. I'm pretty sure you do not fully understand what "comprehension" means.
Last edited by Barium on Jul 25, 2014, 9:19:32 PM
When people say to SFL.

Because low probability of treasures found.

People are forced to trade.

Diablo3 is good.

Wisdom Drop system worth learning.

You have the option not to play SFL.

But, someone need SFL.

Someone want to play SFL.
Last edited by play2013 on Jul 26, 2014, 12:07:35 PM
"
AnotherJuan wrote:
"
Nubatron wrote:
Active thread on a forum that is frequented by a small percentage of the player. Percentage of a percentage of a....well you get the point.

A long thread is not even in the same hemisphere of making it a good business decision. If so, I will be getting my way on a lot of things in the near future through similar tactics used to keep this thread going.

Popular opinion (especially in terms of speculation) isn't usually a good indicator of the right ARTISTIC decision, but in terms of business, comercially, if it's not directly tied it's certainly in the same hemisphere. And yes, persistence will often get you what you want in the real world. Here, who knows.

My job is in process performance in software development. I'm not going to invoke it here and claim I'm professionally right - I don't have the data. But I'll say that user information - what people want - is incredibly valuable if you want to make money. Doubt that's news to anyone, but still... If i was GGG I'd launch a thread asking what problems players had with the game. I'd reason-code and Pareto them to see the most common problems and I'd target the ones I could fix. And after desynch, I bet the trading balance would be nearest the top. And if I didn't want to destabilise the economy and drive the game off-course from the trading game I wanted it to be, while maintaining that proportion (whatever it turned out to be) of the player base, my solution would be a SFL (or 2, one for hardcore).

You are absolutely correct that data is important when making a decision -- informed decisions are (or should be) the cornerstone of each business decision that is made. That being said, this is not data that is even slightly useful in a business setting other than possibly kicking off a business case to examine the possibility at most. Even if every single post in this forum was a unique user agreeing with the topic, it still might not make good business sense....it's a tiny fraction of the player base. I personally believe a lot of the people who frequent GD rather than playing the game are those who are unhappy with something (not all, just an opinion too). A majority (IMO) of the players play the game when they have time rather than posting on the forum. (Brings up a second question of what is wrong with us?)

It's good to hear that you work in process enhancement, possibly BPE if I understand correctly. That means you at least understand the impact of developing/supporting multiple baselines in a production environment. It is not an undertaking that should be taken lightly and should absolutely be backed by sound business decisions because of the additional development time, additional baselines to perform testing against...etc. You most certainly understand the development lifecycle in your current position. What you may not have access to is the financials of the business as a whole, or the data that goes into making enterprise level decisions (assuming, no idea).

Even beyond the business driven decision, there is the core focus of the business and the game. If you have read Good to Great, or several other books that refer to what makes a business survive (let alone make significant headway into a market) includes many factors including being true to your core values -- maintaining focus and passion in those areas. Loss of identity can cause irreparable harm to both the products and the morale of the organizations.

Something to take into account at least in terms of what basically eludes to a vision statement for the game:

Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. We're a small independent team of hardcore gamers based in New Zealand and have created Path of Exile as the game that we'd want to play ourselves. It is designed around a strong barter-based online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win".

Although this is not some scripture written in stone, it is the vector they have chosen. This model has proven successful and has even created a profitable company according to the recent article published in New Zealand.

Basically what this whole movement proposes is stepping away from their core message to their customer base (very very risky, last resort territory), maintain additional baselines of their product baseline (most definitions of SFL include more than just disable party and trade); with little basis to do so other than a vocal group on the forum (a small minority compared to the aggregate player base).

POE is successful in their current model. Anecdotes do not undermine that success. 'Lets try it and see what happens' is quite possibly one of the worst ways to make a decision of this magnitude IMHO.

EDIT (sorry, could not help it)

SFL =
Last edited by Nubatron on Jul 26, 2014, 1:58:20 PM
^

lel, let's all SFL fans read this thing up here. it sounds like the final answer.

this thread ain't never gonna die!
♦▲◄▼►▲♦ @Kadush ♦▲◄▼►▲♦
Never pay to win yet people are forced to buy currency from 3rd parties? I was happy that gold didnt exist here but it just seems to have failed to prevent botters from ruining this game. :(
I find it hilarious that only in POE do people beg on their knees for a SF mode. In no other game have i ever seen or heard about this.
"
Nubatron wrote:

Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. We're a small independent team of hardcore gamers based in New Zealand and have created Path of Exile as the game that we'd want to play ourselves. It is designed around a strong barter-based online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win".

The SFL threads get way more posts than any competitive PvP discussion. In fact, i don't think I've EVER seen a PvP thread in general or feedback. The PvP forum (yes, there is one!) looks like it gets very little traffic.

PoE's economy is currency based, not barter based.

Does Chris even have time to play PoE anymore?

They were all about "loot tension", but relented and now permanent allocation is the most popular loot distribution. They relented on the 1MHC race.

If you really want to include it, they even let Garnia add a pay-to-respec option in their version of the game. THAT got a lot of attention on these forums.

So, like you said, nothing set in stone.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

Last edited by Druga1757 on Jul 26, 2014, 4:53:35 PM
"
Druga1757 wrote:
"
Nubatron wrote:

The SFL threads get way more posts than any competitive PvP discussion. In fact, i don't think I've EVER seen a PvP thread in general or feedback. The PvP forum (yes, there is one!) is close to dead.

PoE's economy is currency based, not barter based.

Does Chris even have time to play PoE anymore?

They were all about "loot tension", but relented and now permanent allocation is the most popular loot distribution. They relented on the 1MHC race.

If you really want to include it, they even let Garnia add a pay-to-respec option in their version of the game. THAT got a lot of attention on these forums.

So, like you said, nothing set in stone.

Wrong. Its greed based.
"
I find it hilarious that only in POE do people beg on their knees for a SF mode. In no other game have i ever seen or heard about this.

Apparently you didn't play D3 pre-ros. It was non-stop. Ruined the game for me. But then I moved on and found poe. So in a strange twisted sense, I owe sfl'ers a debt of gratitude.

Thanks?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info