[Official] WINE info thread

Might as well Disregard my Previous posts, got it going after a full format and reinstall of Debian Squeeze. Something was seriously borked.

The PlayOnLinux Install script works:
Had to install vcrun2005 to get it to run.
Override openal32 (native,builtin) in wine config libraries
Allocated space in a short time. Downloaded and installed over about 2 hours.

Problems:
Ran Game - Black screen
Applying graphical changes crashed game.

Solution: Disabled GLSL (can be done via PlayOnlinux config for prefix - or by regedit)
No more black screen - and can now change graphical settings:
- Turned off post processing
- No shadows
- Unchecked Screen Shake

Sound works so far after 10mins testing.
Framerate is unfortunately quite low, but playable.
Had one opengl related crash, but currently working on finding settings that work better.

Edit:
First area ran well, ran into troubles with loading in shore encampment and some d3d complaints. (probably cos my gpu is old as hell, and doesn't support shaders) But overall stoked that it more or less runs.
Wasn't a serious go at hardware test (all my hardware is very old!!) but more just a test for later, getting a new comp soon :)
Last edited by promega on Aug 19, 2012, 2:34:27 AM
The game works perfect with Crossover 11.2.0
There is only a problem with the fonts.

http://s1.directupload.net/images/120820/bi3gl4c2.png

They look the same in the chat, sheets, etc.
Not a big problem, anybody has an idea to make them look nice?

Last edited by haidido on Aug 20, 2012, 6:19:11 AM
I really hate to advertise, but this seems fairly fitting...

Can I get some (all) of you to post in the demographic thread I started to show that there are actually a lot of us?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/47456
I've been playing on a netbook, as it had the only GPU capable of processing above 10fps amongst my Windows machines. But just a few weeks ago, I was gifted a demoed Mac server by my father-in-law. It has significantly better hardware than my netbook though still not intended for gaming (don't remember what's on the inside atm though), and I was considering installing WINE to maybe try to play on that instead.

But alas, I'm a total Mac newbie, and before I venture down that path, I was wondering if running WINE in the background occupies more system resources such that maybe it wouldn't be worth it? Or is it generally unnoticeable?

I know, I'll probably have to offer more hardware information to get an accurate answer (you'd probably tell me there's no way I should be able to play on the netbook in the first place :P), but just generally speaking, do you need a fairly kick ass machine to run WINE? Or should a few-years-old demoed machine be able to handle it?
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
CanHasPants wrote:
I've been playing on a netbook, as it had the only GPU capable of processing above 10fps amongst my Windows machines. But just a few weeks ago, I was gifted a demoed Mac server by my father-in-law. It has significantly better hardware than my netbook though still not intended for gaming (don't remember what's on the inside atm though), and I was considering installing WINE to maybe try to play on that instead.

But alas, I'm a total Mac newbie, and before I venture down that path, I was wondering if running WINE in the background occupies more system resources such that maybe it wouldn't be worth it? Or is it generally unnoticeable?

I know, I'll probably have to offer more hardware information to get an accurate answer (you'd probably tell me there's no way I should be able to play on the netbook in the first place :P), but just generally speaking, do you need a fairly kick ass machine to run WINE? Or should a few-years-old demoed machine be able to handle it?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/29460
"
Cartaugrapher wrote:
I really hate to advertise, but this seems fairly fitting...

Can I get some (all) of you to post in the demographic thread I started to show that there are actually a lot of us?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/47456

There is plenty of data being collected by the beta software for the developers to see your operating system. I guarantee you they keep track of this already.

What you're petitioning for, the "Officially Supported Linux Client" sounds like a huge money sink and not a good idea at all. I'm talking about technically and practically. We already have support and working games. Do you really want a team of paid professionals tracking down how you don't have sound drivers installed correctly on your custom-micro-distribution? This is what Linux community is good at, seek advice from your distro's forums or chat, if they tell you to search elsewhere, don't stop looking for answers, solve your problem and then go back to them and tell them how you did it. Community support is fun and easy. Paying someone to do it as a job is boring and hard.
i want a key!
"Whine" ~!=~ "WINE". Wow, it's amazing to me how many people popped in here and posted quick "whines" after seeing the topic. Just wow.

I'm starting my PoE on ubuntu trek: precise amd64 with 6GB RAM, Radeon HD 6750

I'm only at step 1 but I'll update this later tonight when I have time to work on it :)

I haven't applied the resource patch to WINE yet, nor the error squelch patch. I may go back and apply the loading patch later, but just testing basic functionality first.

First trying just the default playonlinux setup with PoE install script and wine 1.4. As many others have reported, I got bored of waiting for "allocating resources" and went to bed. When I woke up, my system was heavily swap-bound, and I couldn't wake X up. It just kept paging and showed a black screen - the password prompt would never appear.

Eventually I got to tty1 (even that took a looong time) and fired up top. Client.exe was only 1.7GB (which is about appropriate) but all of my other X processes had also grown to the 1-2GB range. Odd. Xorg, Unity, a number of other processes. All very large.

After forcing a reboot (got bored of waiting trying to fix it piece by piece) I re-launch client and it goes back into allocating resources :( This time it only took ~5 minutes however and went straight to download.

I will post more results when I get there :)
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
"
TheUnbeliever wrote:

All very strange as I'm running ubuntu 12.04 completely updated using wine from repos (x64) with an older graphics card nvidia 8600gt 2 gig ram and quad core amd chip full screen 1650x1060, no issues really to speak of. I remember when i first installed poe that it took a few hours to allocate space, when i start game might have to wait for 2 minutes before log in screen appears, obvious frame refresh issues in vaal ruins level 2, but that's just my older computer, other than that i have found the game works completely fine.

Yeah, see, the first difference is right there. I only have a dual core here which seems to give me a hard time for things like this.

AMD Athlon 250 II X2
4 GB DDR2-800 OCZ
Geforce 9800GT

I'm also using the proprietary Nvidia driver.

I tried 1440x900 Fullscreen, Windowed and Windowed Fullscreen, all making no real difference.

I need to wait a bit until the login screen appears, too, yet the rain on the login screen already lags. ;)

I gave up trying to get it to run proberly, though, as I decided I could just reboot and use the Win partition anyways. Might give it a try again sometimes.

Edit: Ok you got me. Trying again on 3.4.9-1-ARCH, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, GeForce GT 540M, 4 GB RAM :) Will update when installed. (Yay, allocating space again, woho)
Last edited by Liobia on Aug 27, 2012, 12:01:36 PM
This appears to have been a great success. Linux's desktop environments have come a tremendous way since I deployed 7 years ago, and so has WINE overall.

After the download completed, no tuning required at all. Disabled post-processing, turned detail settings down, bam. Full functionality. During gameplay I hover between 40 and 80 FPS, which is lower than windows but quite acceptable.

Back then I'd have spent days patching and configuring just to get any directx program bootstrapped. Now I just run a provided script and get full functionality with good performance. It's a different world entirely!

I do have one minor glitch. After going full-screen, I can't seem to exit back to windowed or switch out of PoE at all (other than switching out to a TTY). Screen tears and fails to re-render itself until PoE's display settings revert. I'd really like to be able to switch desktops while I'm running PoE, if that's possible. Is anyone able to do that, or does anyone know how to fix my glitch?

Thanks a ton.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info