[Official] WINE info thread

"
Zakaluka wrote:
This appears to have been a great success. Linux's desktop environments have come a tremendous way since I deployed 7 years ago, and so has WINE overall.

After the download completed, no tuning required at all. Disabled post-processing, turned detail settings down, bam. Full functionality. During gameplay I hover between 40 and 80 FPS, which is lower than windows but quite acceptable.

Back then I'd have spent days patching and configuring just to get any directx program bootstrapped. Now I just run a provided script and get full functionality with good performance. It's a different world entirely!

I do have one minor glitch. After going full-screen, I can't seem to exit back to windowed or switch out of PoE at all (other than switching out to a TTY). Screen tears and fails to re-render itself until PoE's display settings revert. I'd really like to be able to switch desktops while I'm running PoE, if that's possible. Is anyone able to do that, or does anyone know how to fix my glitch?

Thanks a ton.

Using MATE desktop, 4 workspaces. Launching PoE on second workspace and switching between them works. You can also start one more X server (let's assume you use playonlinux)
"
X :3 -ac&
DISPLAY=:3 playonlinux

Then you can switch between your X servers using ctrl+alt+f7/ctrl+alt+f8. However, when doing that, minimap often becomes broken (selffixes after some time).
"

Using MATE desktop, 4 workspaces. Launching PoE on second workspace and switching between them works. You can also start one more X server (let's assume you use playonlinux)

Option 2 was the easiest thing for me to figure out, as the graphics glitch is some sort of driver issue on my end it seems. Switching desktops was a no-go.

Apparently there's a feature built into playonlinux where it'll launch a new X server from the generated shortcut. But it doesn't seem to be well documented (couldn't find it after a while tooling around on google) so I just made a script ~/bin/polx:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/playonlinux -- :1

edit: I thought this was working great, because it made me a new X server with PoL staring right back at me. But there is some driver issue now, and I've forgotten so much about linux since 7 years ago. I get no rendering just a login screen with "water cannot be rendered on your graphics card. This will be fixed at a later date." I suspect xinit is starting the wrong server executable for some reason. Have to figure this out.

Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Aug 27, 2012, 5:26:00 PM
My game crashes now when I start a game with the following errors on the CLI:

"
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libdlfaker.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'librrfaker.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code e0000001 flags 0 addr 0x7b83ba92

and an exeption error reading:
"
Unable to create texture. D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE Not Available

Any ideas?
Btw .. I tried installing the lib32-virtualgl package from the AURs (using Archlinux, yeah). Makes matters even worse, game doesn't even start anymore.

"
err:olepicture:OleLoadPicture IPersistStream_Load failed
AL lib: oss_open_playback: Could not open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
Direct3D9 is not available without OpenGL.

This says everything, I guess. :>
Last edited by Liobia on Aug 29, 2012, 3:47:15 AM
Fonts being glitchy is related to how wine moves windows dlls in memory, and either the buffer overflow technology in the hardware, or prelinking. I don't have prelink, and an Intel processor (with the execution shield called "eXecution-Disabled" XD-bit) so at the expense of some anti-buffer-overflow security, I now have non-messed up fonts in this game in wine. Just had to get in the advanced options of my BIOS to toggle XD-bit off.

Sweet.
"
Liobia wrote:
This says everything, I guess. :>

Try using winetricks and getting d3dx9_36, and vcrun2010 (msvcr100) native dlls, then running with Client.exe --nosound so that at least you can narrow down the problems to mostly non-sound issues. I have no idea what all those errors mean, I'm just telling you the working setup on my system.

Wine 1.5.4, nVidia 295.71, Gentoo x86_64
Will definitely try that as soon as I have my stuff fixed. since kernel 3.5.3 I'm having some issues with bbswitch and my encrypted swap. :/

But I think it's a 64bit bumblebee issue.

I'd be playin on a notebook with an optimus nvidia card (it's their power-management-system with using the intel gpu for default and activating the nvidia gpu for certain applications). And virtualgl gets used to send opengl data to the second XServer which uses the stronger gpu.
I think that error comes from the 32bit version of virtualgl not being able to adress opengl, which is needed because PoE is a 32bit application after all ;).

so far so good, bad thing is: I have no idea how to fix it. ;)
Last edited by Liobia on Aug 29, 2012, 6:34:03 PM
"
Liobia wrote:
Will definitely try that as soon as I have my stuff fixed. since kernel 3.5.3 I'm having some issues with bbswitch and my encrypted swap. :/

But I think it's a 64bit bumblebee issue.

I'd be playin on a notebook with an optimus nvidia card (it's their power-management-system with using the intel gpu for default and activating the nvidia gpu for certain applications). And virtualgl gets used to send opengl data to the second XServer which uses the stronger gpu.
I think that error comes from the 32bit version of virtualgl not being able to adress opengl, which is needed because PoE is a 32bit application after all ;).

so far so good, bad thing is: I have no idea how to fix it. ;)

Don't forget to use "optirun" if you have an optimus video card, just as a reminder since I didn't see you mention it :-)
"
naranek wrote:

Don't forget to use "optirun" if you have an optimus video card, just as a reminder since I didn't see you mention it :-)

Well, of course I used 'optirun' every time. Didn't think that was worth mentioning because it's the most obvious thing :P

Tried a little yesterday evening, pretty sure it's a VirtualGL problem, but I'll keep trying as my exams let me - and keep this updated.
you can use playonlinux and get it installed in like 3 clicks
Steam:Gonejah
Dude, playonlinux is a frontend for Wine. VirtualGL (which is the problem) sits on the backend. You can't fix a backend problem with a frontend solution. The problem isn't even Wine itself, it's the program it uses to send data to the xserver.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info