Reddit shows that there is still hope!

"
Perq wrote:
Please, make this instant log-out bullshit end already. This is bullshit, and everyone knows about it. Everyone will defend it tho, since they use it a lot. And this is what is the worst.

The balance of the game is bad, if you NEED to be able to log-out instantly. And this is what is going to be fixed if they are going to put log out timer. And stop defending it... If you are running into situation that you need to get out that way, or else you'll die, YOU FUCKED UP - DIE. As simple as that. Desync and other that kind of technical sutff is no excuse - it should be fixed too, not band-aided with instant log out.

alt-f4 might not be a good solution

however, after that people will use portals.

portals render any long (>5 sec) logout timer obsolete in-game and will only hurt you on disconnects just like they killed countless people in D3 hardcore.

also anyone who dislikes poes logout system and likes d3s logout system, is a damn hypocrite.
"
grepman wrote:

I didnt say that quote about 2% so yeah when you made up quotes Im sure its 'clear as a day' to you.

stop assuming things.

max mana leech gem pre-leech nerf was sufficient for many, many skills due to how queuing worked with high attack speed

My bad, it was mana leech gem, which is 3%+ mana leech or so? And that doesn't matter, even if it's 10% mana leech, because you can only leech 12.5% mana of your total pool per second.

It still stands, not even mindlessly slapping mana leech gem solves anything, at best, it's a wasted link, which by itself would be a pretty good drawback for attack sustaining.

Enough of that already...
"
grepman wrote:
no. thats not failed logic.
its logic that you might not like, but its not 'failed'.

sure, players use whats effective. but when 95% of players used some form of leech without any mana investment and other 5 percent of other players constituted double totem users, summoners and life-on-hitters (100 projectile LA builds for example), thats a problem.

That 95% of players constituted the majority of the build diversity in this game. Now dual totem/summoners consist of 50% of the player base, leaving very little room for variety. Then theres the 5% who have Soul Taker, who could care less about the leech changes. I can also pull statistics out of my ass.

"
grepman wrote:

theres a reason d3 removed life steal

Gear in D3 has a good amount of life on hit, life regen, and life on kill to compensate. D3 also has several skills to heal/mitigate damage, and the game is not balanced around alt+f4.

Resource regeneration (mana, arcane power etc) in D3 is balanced around being able to use weaker attacks constantly and only use resources for powerful attacks. In PoE you need to run a 5L in maps, which typicaly requires a huge amount of mana. Add in the silly aura mechanics, and it becomes extremely difficult to sustain skills without substantial investment.

"
grepman wrote:

and yes blood magic gem has been long overdue for a nerf. its way too strong, and for instant leech its downright hilariously strong. I run every skill besides auras off the gem as a shadow with bloodseeker, with zero mana investment and almost zero downside. not as bad as leech gem which didnt take away life, but still pretty damn bad

RF is too strong, Low life Shav's is too strong, Windripper is too strong. There are plenty of strong things in this game, strong mechanics are GOOD, they help promote build variety by providing a good foundation for a character. Strong items are a different story, they end up skewing balance, and GGG tends to nerf mechanics associated with them instead of the actual item.

I really dislike your way of thinking. "It's too strong, nerf it" accomplishes nothing. It doesn't create more options, it just means that people will no longer use it. I agree that BM gem is too powerful right now, however, GGG needs to figure out an alternative way to manage mana resources that does not require taking EB and a ton of mana nodes. The way the skill tree is designed right now, the Duelist, and especially Marauder, are basicaly made to use BM, there are not nearly enough mana nodes in these areas.

The other issue with the BM gem is that it enables the player to stack auras. The aura mechanics in this game are beyond stupid. I fail to see why they can't just have auras capped at 2 per character, with no mana reservation, and add in a keystone that would allow you to gain an additional aura.

Last edited by Mephasm on Apr 16, 2014, 4:53:20 PM
"
Mephasm wrote:

That 95% of players constituted the majority of the build diversity in this game. Now dual totem/summoners consist of 50% of the player base, leaving very little room for variety. Then theres the 5% who have Soul Taker, who could care less about the leech changes. I can also pull statistics out of my ass.

fine, those numbers were out of the ass. however, I havent seen a melee build use mana regen much or NOT use life leech.

you yourself said that life leech was mandatory. when ANYTHING is mandatory its too strong, to me.

there's some things like life and resists which are tough to 'nerf'/tone down in its vitality because they're really essential. and even then GGG has tried to nerf the life nodes.

"

Gear in D3 has a good amount of life on hit, life regen, and life on kill to compensate. D3 also has several skills to heal/mitigate damage, and the game is not balanced around alt+f4.

PoE has good life regen if you INVEST in it. you'd have to actually get regen nodes and vitality aura, but it was much easier to slap a life leech gem or use fast attack physical leech from tree/gear . PoE has life on hit also that is being used way more now, and also it has VP.
not sure how queued up LL helped against big one-shots either. queued up leech actually helped you to sustain without flasks.

the main reason they axed life steal in D3, as much as you might not like it, is because it was really mandatory for any build, (and barb had extra life steal from one of the skills which was really hilarious actually) compared to any other form of sustain.

"

Resource regeneration (mana, arcane power etc) in D3 is balanced around being able to use weaker attacks constantly and only use resources for powerful attacks. In PoE you need to run a 5L in maps, which typicaly requires a huge amount of mana. Add in the silly aura mechanics, and it becomes extremely difficult to sustain skills without substantial investment.

that I agree in. PoE can learn a few things from D3 resource management, especially witch doctor's mana.too bad D3 didnt really explore in resource management further but rather dumbed it down.

"

RF is too strong, Low life Shav's is too strong, Windripper is too strong.

cant comment on windripper, and low life shav is borderline, but I can live with it.

RF though is just fine, because its a specialized build. you HAVE to take like all the regen nodes in the tree AND have to run purity of fire and vit, and items like the shield that gives you +max fire resist/saffels.

to use leech you need oh I dont know not bum-level damage and fast attack speed and gem/gear with it. thats IT.

RF is an example of a good, specialized build that, besides snapshotting, is something what GGG needs to shoot for and does try to, with design, imo.

"

I really dislike your way of thinking. "It's too strong, nerf it" accomplishes nothing. It doesn't create more options, it just means that people will no longer use it.

thats fine. you dont have to like my way of thinking, and I dont have to like your line of thinking which is basically 'build around most powerful things'. it's ok, we just disagree.
"
grepman wrote:
cut

damage is much slower in d3, thats why regen works much better there. Here if you are taking serious damage regen will make absolutely 0 difference.
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
"
Mephasm wrote:
The other issue with the BM gem is that it enables the player to stack auras. The aura mechanics in this game are beyond stupid. I fail to see why they can't just have auras capped at 2 per character, with no mana reservation, and add in a keystone that would allow you to gain an additional aura.

This guy may be on to something. Too bad this will never happen, good idea tho.
"but i tell u its just fo' try, fo' peep n' fo' know"
"
mazul wrote:
To the thread http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/22xibn/concerns_with_the_direction_of_difficulty/

Chris replied with:
This has been on my mind a lot also and there's stuff in the works to address overall difficulty and how it's balanced.

So there is still hope. Maybe just maybe Chris will see the light :).

Hey thanks for sharing Mazul, I'm not a big reddit reader but I do browse forums a lot, might seem a bit strange but anyhow thanks for this. I really want to play Invasion but just can't reroll anymore, I feel beat so I'm going back to hc.

2h melee really hurts in invasion heh, but that's what I'm interested in at the moment :3 must have rerolled 20+ times. Usually lvl 50+ too.
#NeverGoing90
"
ShimmyShimmy wrote:
"
Mephasm wrote:

This guy may be on to something. Too bad this will never happen, good idea tho.

this idea is like 2 years old now. one-two auras are ok, being able to stack 7 AND at the same time hit the low life obscene bonuses AND have Shavs is not ok

being able to run all skills on BM gems and being able to full entire mana pool with auras for apparently no cost? is a bad mechanic. and BM gem is the reason for that
Wonder if the new Exile balance was Chris's work
S L O W E R
Didn't you read the patch notes.

The balance devs trolled you with the Flameblast exile.

Now when he appears you will see a fully charged flame blast off screen before you die.

The balance devs snuck in a troll change.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info