Shockingly strong flamethrower build (Incinerate + Three Dragons)

"
Omnicide24 wrote:
While I appreciate you taking time to answer me what I'm getting at is this. Here are the mechanics copied from the wiki.

Spoiler
The base duration of shock is proportional to the damage dealt by the initial hit of lightning damage relative to the target's maximum life.

Let N be the lightning damage dealt, L be the target's effective maximum life and I the total increased shock duration. The shock duration D in milliseconds is then given by:

If N > L ÷ 3, then N = L ÷ 3
D = P × 276ms × I

Where

P = N ÷ ( L ÷ 100 )

If the duration would be less than 300 milliseconds, the shock effect is not applied. The maximum, unmodified shock duration from lightning damage is 9.2 seconds.

In short we have issues with shocking high life rare mobs or bosses. The shocks simply do not take place because the duration is too short. What I'm trying to decide is if increased shock duration helps with this. I would think it would but then again it might increase the duration of a successful shock only.

hmm now I finally understand what you are really getting at :)

As far as i know, the duration doesn't affect the potential to shock a target.
Just the targets max life, your damage and your shock chance.

But I understand that when your shock duration is too short to bypass the threshhold, increased shock duration migth help you reach this threshhold.

My thought however would be, is that this duration is calculated after the shock has taken place (thats just a thought, no proof for it)
Isnobest. This post was created in a facility that handles peanuts and may contain traces of nuts
Build of the week (S2E5): 3-dragons incinerate
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/856154
If you had to give up 5 points from this build what would they be? Would it be a big difference? because I like the flask nodes in the witch area
"
SwiftSkice wrote:
If you had to give up 5 points from this build what would they be? Would it be a big difference? because I like the flask nodes in the witch area

i would personally probably drop the side which has shaper/inner force/mental rapidity.

also I would think about dropping plated defence (the block nodes on the southern templar part), becuase it takes some points to get to.

You can also just generally drop some of the damage nodes
Isnobest. This post was created in a facility that handles peanuts and may contain traces of nuts
Been following this guide and gotta say Incinerate is hella fun.
I thought spell echo+ LMP was great, then I put on my four link three Dragons and put in fire pen. Just about fell out of my chair at the resulting dps.

I have

waiting for me, but I'm unsure if it's needed.
Alternatively I can 5L:

The life on hit with Cybil's is amazing, and eventually I'll have a lot of block/spell block...do we really need CoD or Lightning Coil?
5Ling the rare will be more mana and resists.
Thoughts?

I'm also interested in the shock duration/high health boss issue.
Looks like a design over-site by GGG to me.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Sep 4, 2014, 10:22:34 PM
"
Been following this guide and gotta say Incinerate is hella fun.
I thought spell echo+ LMP was great, then I put on my four link three Dragons and put in fire pen. Just about fell out of my chair at the resulting dps.

I have

waiting for me, but I'm unsure if it's needed.
Alternatively I can 5L:

The life on hit with Cybil's is amazing, and eventually I'll have a lot of block/spell block...do we really need CoD or Lightning Coil?
5Ling the rare will be more mana and resists.
Thoughts?

I'm also interested in the shock duration/high health boss issue.
Looks like a design over-site by GGG to me.

haha yeah this build was the most fun one I ever played myself :D

I would say: lightning coil is never a bad idea, the item is amazing. A chest with armor/good ES , high life and resistance can also be good. It increases your max mana by alot

I personally also like the MOM chest (cloak of defiance) with the laviangra's flask. I would not advise using COD without laviangra

I would maybe try to find a bit better chest to 5L, but its not very bad

this was the chest i used before COD

I'm able to shock most bosses (pre 1.2). few exceptions being vaal in maze, atziri, palace dominus.
But I'm also able to shock some really high HP mobs, this is also because of using Fire-pen

The shock duration is really really short, but it doesn't matter with 10 casts per second x3 (from LMP)
Last edited by iznobest on Sep 5, 2014, 4:26:03 AM
I went Lightning Coil. The rare chest only costed me 2 chaos, and it aint bad if I wasn't using Lightning coil. I don't need the "missing" fire or cold resists. In any case, not gonna use it!

Lightning Coil is godmode. I don't regret the decision.
The whole build is god mode lol.

I then realized for 6L I need BBBBGR, and died a little inside.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Sep 6, 2014, 4:41:43 AM
I am kind of curious why the number 10 comes up with casts per second. I'm at over 13 casts per second at 65, and I havn't taken any cast speed nodes that weren't on the way to something.

Was 10 casts per second just a minimum arbitrary example?
I'm at 219% increased cast speed... You say in your OP post Insinerate has 142% ICS...Did Incinerate get a cast speed increase in 1.2?
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Sep 6, 2014, 3:48:54 PM
"
I am kind of curious why the number 10 comes up with casts per second. I'm at over 13 casts per second at 65, and I havn't taken any cast speed nodes that weren't on the way to something.

Was 10 casts per second just a minimum arbitrary example?
I'm at 219% increased cast speed... You say in your OP post Insinerate has 142% ICS...Did Incinerate get a cast speed increase in 1.2?

If you're referring to the stat screen shot back on the first page, then that was before spell echo. Back then, anything over 10 casts per second was good, whereas now it should be 12-15.

Quick question: Why LMP over GMP? Is it really just the damage multiplier? The flame torrents can stack on a target if you're close enough though right?
With GMP the cone is larger so the beams are more spread on the sides. It's then harder to shotgun efficiently targets of the size of a human (and perhaps bigger ones as well).
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
With GMP the cone is larger so the beams are more spread on the sides. It's then harder to shotgun efficiently targets of the size of a human (and perhaps bigger ones as well).

This.
Also higher mana multiplier.
I have no use for GMP, personally.

And as far as cast speed question...one of those " ahh, of course" moments. Spell echo, gotcha
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Sep 6, 2014, 10:44:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info