Shockingly strong flamethrower build (Incinerate + Three Dragons)

Build of the week (season 2 episode 5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_6tV6Q_1V0

This is my first guide, so it might not be written perfectly.

The idea of this build was to create a character which can run maps solo in a solid manner, while also having a good added value in party play.

This build uses certain elements of the standard incinerate-build while incorporating some key differences. As I made this build myself, it will most likely also differ greatly from most of the standard incinerate builds.
So how is this build different from most incinerate builds? The answer lies within 'The Three Dragons'.

So, our incinerate will no longer cause the burning-effect, but now causes a shock-effect! Due to the high damaging speed of incinerate, shock stacks build up almost instantly, resulting in a 90% increased damage on the target.

As I'm playing on a laptop, I cannot record a video with high FPS. However, I still wanted to show what this build looks like, so I just made some short vids. It's just to give you an idea of the build. The second vid is slightly longer, killing some blue gulls, and the map boss of the Pier-Map. Third is against Merveil in Necropolis (75 map)

Video:
Spoiler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKa-KuGvPw&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAr3katIKxY&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFw_Sqozo6I&feature=youtu.be

Leveling up your character:
Spoiler
As this character takes both sides of the Witch starting tree, witch is the class to start leveling with. Take the life nodes on the right side of the witch tree, then continue with the left branch. Always prioritize life-nodes, take the damage nodes at the very end.
I just used the standard strong spells to level up with: flameblast & searing bond. In merciless I started switching to LMP/GMP-incinerate +searing bond

Complete passive tree. Some remarks:
- Static blows for extra shock chance
- Get a lot of cast speed as incinerate stacks need to build up
- You can also take the 16% cold damage + 5% freeze chance in order to freeze and shatter with ALD
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMEswVbB2MHpQj0FE0V5xbzGYUaMho4Gmwc3B0UHpQfAiQ8JKomPCaVJ6koxSlPKo0snC0fLUcvnTGINsU22DbpRKtG10kbSVFJskw1UEJRYFVLVa5VxlcrWm1dxmBtZ71tGW17cH1zU3OzeLp5A35Zf8aCEIIegpuDOIdli4yMNo9Gj6aQVZMnl4WboZwtnYCfe6IAoqOksacIp1ynhKmVrD-vt7UEwFTB889l0NDVT9gk2t3bC9xX3fPed9-w4XPjauQi5Y7sOOxV7SDub_Af8GvzvvPd-tI=

with new patch something like this:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMDHgSzBVsG6QelCPQMfQz3DkgQWBB_ES0RlhRNFecWbxa_FvMaOBpsHoEfQR_HJKok2CY8JpUnYSj6KU8reCycLYsvnTLRNj02iTbpRUdFfEWdRtdJskuNT31Pr1FgU1JVS13GXfJeH2BtYeJirGe9akNrF2yMbRlzs3yDfll-4n_GgFaCEIIegpuCx4M4hW2HZYuMjDaQVZUgl5ea4J1jnYCdqqIAoqOksaeEqZWvbLTFtQS4k7zqwFTB88WKxp7N-tWB2wvd89-K37Dhc-Nq44TkIuWO6dXr7uw47SDwH_Br87706fno-tL_HA==

Current stats
- 4850 maximum life
- 2200 maximum mana
- 142% cast speed on incinerate

Spoiler

Current gear. (you can also see my skill links here) Some remarks:
- Rings must have: Resistance, high life, good mana regeneration (40+), preferably dex
- Try to get dex on gloves/boots. Move speed on boots is a MUST
- Cybil's Paw: cast speed and life on hit for incinerate. High block --> spell damage
- Stone of Lazhwar: additional spell block. A must to survive lightning-thorns
- Rathpith globe: good for your max mana, addtional spell block and some nice spell damage
- The Three Dragons: causing your incinerate to shock
- As a lot of people suggested, Cloak of Defiance is a good idea (with 330 mana/sec), and bada_bing posted a nice solution for the problems I had with this chest; take the unique flask Lavianga's Spirit

Spoiler

or use this chest if you have the unique flask Lavianga's Spirit

Skill links
Spoiler

Key skills:
- Lightning Warp - Reduced Duration - Faster Casting
- Haste/Discipline - Tempest shield - Clarity - Reduced mana
- Projectile weakness - Q ele weakness - Increased area of effect (In party play I use projectile weakness, I run Q ele weakness in solo-play). Q ele weakness is better than flammability,
- Arctic armour - Empower
- Molten shell, inc duration, life leech, inc area of effect (or the standard MS-CWDT)
- Flame totem, GMP, ALD, faster casting
In your 5L (BBBGG) Relatively low mana cost:
- Incinerate (Quality!!!), Faster casting, LMP, Faster projectiles, added lightning.
In your 5L (BBBRG) Higher mana cost:
-Incinerate - Faster casting, LMP, fire penetration, added lightning
In your 5L (BBBRG) High mana cost:
- Incinerate, faster casting, LMP, Fire pen, added chaos damage

As fire pen and lifeleech both require a red socket, you can swap your fire-pen for lifeleech in certain situations. Fire-pen doesn't increase your tooltip DPS, however it does increase your damage and shock chance by a lot.
All the support gems for incinerate have INSANELY strong quality effects, so you should really get them with as high Q as possible.

Also, mana leech/reduced mana might be something u need until u get enough mana regeneration.

Survivability
Spoiler

- Arctic armour protects you from physical and fire damage. Also protects 100% against reflect damage.
- Getting high block and high spell block also adds a lot to survability (spell-block is required for surviving lightning-thorns).
- Cybil's claw provides the required life-steal.
- Lightning warp will get you out of nasty situations.
- Elemental adaptation increases your max resistance to 77%
- CWDT/MS/enduring cry
- Corrupting blood will stack 20 times within 1 second. Always have a remove-bleed flask ready!!

Bandits:
Spoiler

Normal: help oak (40 life)
Cruel: help alira (4% cast speed)
Merciless: kill all (1 skill point)

How to play:
Spoiler

GMP/LMP-Incinerate is a large cone, so ensure that monsters approach you from the front and make sure you don't get surrounded. Monster should be dead before they reach you. The closer the enemy is to you, the more damage you deal. So, on many bosses you just want to hug the boss, curse and kill. Use lightning warp with reduced duration and faster casting to get into the required position.

Some extra remarks:
- Lightning warp and Tempest Shield can freeze! :D Also, linking your incinerate with added lightning damage can make it freeze/chill (you can also take the 5% freeze 16% cold damage in the shadow tree to cause your ALD-linked incinerate to freeze+shatter, though I personally don't think it's worth the points)
- Enfeeble has little effect as incinerate cannot crit
- As you run arctic armor, reflect damage has NO effect
- Lightning thorns is your nemesis, always be careful! This is also on of the biggest reasons for getting spell-block.
- I keep a mana-leech and a lvl 8-10 Arctic Armour in my inventory for maps with 50% regen mod

Feel free to ask questions or give input!
Isnobest. This post was created in a facility that handles peanuts and may contain traces of nuts
Build of the week (S2E5): 3-dragons incinerate
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/856154
Last edited by iznobest on Aug 31, 2014, 3:27:15 AM
good guide and soild build man :)
Uploaded slightly longer video in Pier map. Killing some blue Gulls and the map-boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAr3katIKxY&feature=youtu.be

Isnobest. This post was created in a facility that handles peanuts and may contain traces of nuts
Last edited by iznobest on Mar 28, 2014, 6:17:11 AM
You could run without reduced mana gem if you used LMP instead of GMP. The damage difference is x2.1 if all 3 beams of LMP hit, compared to x2.5 if all 5 beams of GMP hit.

I also find using the 60% faster projectile for a quality Incinerate to be just about enough to hit most mobs, but using the 20% extra from the node by the Rangers hits perfectly all those that you are going to get. Therefore the Faster Projectile gem is useless(They aren't going to hit those mobs that are off screen, and everything else gets hit).

So the ones I use is Incinerate, LMP, Faster Cast, Fire Penetrate, and Lightning Damage. Just switch out Fire Penetrate for Life Leech or Item Quantity as needed. Of course I don't have your helm so I need the Lightning Damage gem, so depending on your gear you might be better off using the Chaos Damage gem instead.

Lastly, I noticed it is sometimes better to use extended duration gem on a level 1 Lightning warp. You cast the Warp then immediately start Incinerate so that you are up to the third stage by the time you arrive.
"
MartinDeShade wrote:
Spoiler
You could run without reduced mana gem if you used LMP instead of GMP. The damage difference is x2.1 if all 3 beams of LMP hit, compared to x2.5 if all 5 beams of GMP hit.

I also find using the 60% faster projectile for a quality Incinerate to be just about enough to hit most mobs, but using the 20% extra from the node by the Rangers hits perfectly all those that you are going to get. Therefore the Faster Projectile gem is useless(They aren't going to hit those mobs that are off screen, and everything else gets hit).

So the ones I use is Incinerate, LMP, Faster Cast, Fire Penetrate, and Lightning Damage. Just switch out Fire Penetrate for Life Leech or Item Quantity as needed. Of course I don't have your helm so I need the Lightning Damage gem, so depending on your gear you might be better off using the Chaos Damage gem instead.

Lastly, I noticed it is sometimes better to use extended duration gem on a level 1 Lightning warp. You cast the Warp then immediately start Incinerate so that you are up to the third stage by the time you arrive.

I personally don't like taking ballistic mastery. It takes me 8 points to get to. I also do not agree that 'faster projectiles is useless'. 20% Q faster projectiles also grants 10% cast speed, which is very very nice.

Your point about switching GMP to LMP and switching reduced mana for fire-pen is very valid. And I will most certainly try that, and I expect it will be a lot better (mainly against fire resist mobs)

I'm also wondering about added lightning, as it can freeze my targets. The interesting part is that Q added lightning grants 'extra shock chance and duration'. Which could certainly be very interesting in this build.
Last edited by iznobest on Mar 26, 2014, 11:41:21 AM
this looks interesting. ive been looking for a build for my three dragons. wouldnt thief's torment be a must for this build?

e:
Last edited by JungleBeanr on Mar 27, 2014, 4:19:14 PM
"
iznobest wrote:

I'm also wondering about added lightning, as it can freeze my targets. The interesting part is that Q added lightning grants 'extra shock chance and duration'. Which could certainly be very interesting in this build.

I don't think added lightning can freeze with incinerate. Static blows gives a chance to shock even without critting. For freezing on the other hand you will need to crit which incinerate doesn't do, so a linked ald won't freeze. It would work if linked to a cold snap as ald would then inherit the crit independent freeze chance of cold snap.
This build viable for invasion league ?
del.
Last edited by virusqq on Mar 28, 2014, 3:30:20 AM
"
JungleBeanr wrote:
this looks interesting. ive been looking for a build for my three dragons. wouldnt thief's torment be a must for this build?

e:

Im afraid that I do not think this works. Incinerate is not an attack, so you wont get life and mana on hit. Thats the reason you take the claw, which has LOH for spells.

"
Bada_Bing wrote:
"
iznobest wrote:

I don't think added lightning can freeze with incinerate. Static blows gives a chance to shock even without critting. For freezing on the other hand you will need to crit which incinerate doesn't do, so a linked ald won't freeze. It would work if linked to a cold snap as ald would then inherit the crit independent freeze chance of cold snap.

Im actually considering spending 2 points to take '8% cold damage, 16% cold damage +5% freeze chance'. Im very curious how that will work out ^^. Because i have like 10 attacks per second (+LMP), 5% freeze chance should be a consinderable amount

"
virusqq wrote:
This build viable for invasion league ?

I think it is viable. But its hard for me to judge, as I have to deal with lots of FPS drops and latency issues (as Im playing on a laptop), I sometimes die. But I can do 75 maps without dying. The biggest things to be careful of are lightning thorns and corrupted blood.
Last edited by iznobest on Mar 28, 2014, 4:26:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info