Players are using bots killing the game

Interesting subject.

Background about me: My bot story

I once did bots on a web space game, just for the fun of programming. The main account sky rocketed the ladder, but that wasn't the objective (it's the only unfair point in fact).
I was just doing my things alone, as a peaceful farmer. No RMT. No bullying others unless they start it. I didn't disturbed the others (only a slot in high ladder), so I hardly see anything wrong with that kind of botting.

My accounts were banned once the editor discovered the trick I used to transfer wealth from farming bots to the main account.
Then... I stopped, I had enough fun with that, that was a cool experience of programming.

Regarding bots on PoE, things are a little bit different:

-> there is RMT: I would prefer this money to go to GGG instead of people setting up bots.

-> there are prizes for the best gamers: I feel it's unfair that people with bots get those prizes.

That's why I disagree on using bots with PoE, but I not mad at them: I don't expect coming close to the prizes and GGG are intelligent enough to deal with RMT and money they should have got, it's their business.

About bots detection:

This isn't really the bot that need to be detected, they can be quite smart.
The solution is "follow the money": characters getting unusually wealthy very quickly, characters giving away their orbs, along with 24/7 players, ...
Banning require some manual supervision to verify those symptoms, but an automated answer may be devised...

Innovative idea:

Tag the suspiciously earned items with a "bot tag", like the corrupted tag, automatically. This tag would be viral, contaminating all items traded with a tagged one.
This would mean that a player making a deal with tagged orbs could have his trades canceled or even destroyed if bot origin is confirmed. Even more: experience gained with tagged equipment could be removed, along with some passive skills.
This would halt trade with bots, because those tagged orbs' value would drop dramatically.
In game immersion can be preserved with a story to wrap that, be creative.

Other idea:

Let GGG staff buy a few orbs on RMT, then ban and destroy items and all related accounts. They can backtrack the origin of each item. :)
Easy, cheap, fast, reliable, effective.

"
Bluflonalgul wrote:

Innovative idea:

Tag the suspiciously earned items with a "bot tag", like the corrupted tag, automatically. This tag would be viral, contaminating all items traded with a tagged one.
This would mean that a player making a deal with tagged orbs could have his trades canceled or even destroyed if bot origin is confirmed. Even more: experience gained with tagged equipment could be removed, along with some passive skills.
This would halt trade with bots, because those tagged orbs' value would drop dramatically.
In game immersion can be preserved with a story to wrap that, be creative.

Most botters are smart enough to join a random party also with their main&bot acocunt and drop the stuff somewhere on the gorund the main grab it result is that you cant detect it.

In fact im all for GGG releasing a Bot for 40$ life time sub and game will be fun again for many players.

"
zzang wrote:
Most botters are smart enough to join a random party also with their main&bot account and drop the stuff somewhere on the ground the main grab it result is that you cant detect it.

No matter how they do it, when you track item flow, the balance shows up.

Let me explain:

Bot1 find an orb, internal ID=1234567898fghjkl. Orb is drop as you said.
Main0 pick up orb on ground.
Then stats shows that Main0 has an unusual % of findings precious orbs. Where did he get this very orb from ?
Oh! orb 1234567898fghjkl comes from... Bot1, yes.

Technical aspects could be discussed here also, but maybe you already know many clever ways to efficiently track a great number of items.

The trade contamination by tags I describe is for end-buyers of the botted suppliers.
The big problem is they ban them 2 days, and then unban...
fkxLegacySpectral : lvl 97 Raider ST HowA [Legacy]
fkxBreachSlayer : lvl 95 Slayer Blade Flurry [Breach]
fkxCrockett : lvl 94 Saboteur Ice Trap [Perendus]
fkxRampage : lvl 94 Witch Fireball [Rampage]
fkxShadow : lvl 95 Shadow FP/CI [open beta]
Last edited by fkxShadow on Mar 8, 2014, 12:27:53 PM
"
fkxShadow wrote:
The big problem is they ban them 2 days, and then unban...

Add a purge of stash & inventory and that will be enough I think.
GGG is too reluctant when it comes to permabanning botters/RMTers. That guy is probably laughing his ass off because he could once again convince some poor Support guy that he's not botting.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Bluflonalgul wrote:

Bot1 find an orb, internal ID=1234567898fghjkl. Orb is drop as you said.
Main0 pick up orb on ground.
Then stats shows that Main0 has an unusual % of findings precious orbs. Where did he get this very orb from ?
Oh! orb 1234567898fghjkl comes from... Bot1, yes.

this sounds that it could work if there is an ID for every item

also i would automatically flag all users with more than 2 mirrors
"
Xavderion wrote:
GGG is too reluctant when it comes to permabanning botters/RMTers. That guy is probably laughing his ass off because he could once again convince some poor Support guy that he's not botting.

While his name is on RMT web sites as vendor, since a long time...
fkxLegacySpectral : lvl 97 Raider ST HowA [Legacy]
fkxBreachSlayer : lvl 95 Slayer Blade Flurry [Breach]
fkxCrockett : lvl 94 Saboteur Ice Trap [Perendus]
fkxRampage : lvl 94 Witch Fireball [Rampage]
fkxShadow : lvl 95 Shadow FP/CI [open beta]
The irony of botting in games is, only if the game is fun to play, popular, has a large player population will you start seeing more and more bots. Why ironic? Well if you want no bots in your game, the server will probably have to be a ghost town. It has to be "good enough" for scripters to make bots for the game.

I already expected this to happen when i started playing POE from the get go. I knew what happened to diablo 2 would repeat here. It was just a matter of time. Game companies have almost no way to totally stop exploiters/hackers/botters. The real truth is, their ban/purge waves only hurt the players who know nothing about exploiting/hacking/botting but want to use those programs for an advantage, these are the people who end up having to restart and "buy/rent" new programs. It is not possible for GGG to actively/individually monitor every SINGLE account, so they have to use a program of their own, which detects exploits/hacks/botting. Any program they use to do this, has parameters to be set, to set an alarm if anyone were to bypass these parameters. Real exploiters/hackers/botters who understand the programs themselves and how its done, can keep changing their scripts to bypass these so called "detection paramenters" and thus, its an ongoing downhill slope battle for any game company to totally stop this.

The good thing about POE is, you can basically play this game totally solo, and there is almost no avenue for anyone to boast about his stuff. My advice, just keep to your own "game" and use the community for chat:P Dont let what others are doing to exploit/cheat bother you. You cannot stop them, neither can GGG. In fact, the more botters there are, just means how popular your game is lol.

If you still dont understand what i mean, i will draw you an analogy. You know how lets say, you sign a bond with a company, and if u break it, you have to compensate X dollars. Lets say u do break it, and u refuse to pay X dollars. To summon you to court and have u pay X dollars, the company has to engage a lawyer. They have to pay the lawyer X+Y dollars to take up the case, and thus will never bother to do it since getting back the X dollars from you will take them more money even. So as long as u keep your exploiting/cheating to an activity of below X+Y in total, you are gonna get away with it, sadly.
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt, fish or ride.
Lowballer - Ancient tribal slang for a total waste of time, and hence, will be totally and utterly ignored.
Last edited by emoqqboy on Apr 29, 2014, 2:41:21 AM
okay this is depressing. lets wait until exalted orb is worthless

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info