Players are using bots killing the game

"
Bluflonalgul wrote:
Interesting subject.

Background about me: My bot story

I once did bots on a web space game, just for the fun of programming. The main account sky rocketed the ladder, but that wasn't the objective (it's the only unfair point in fact).
I was just doing my things alone, as a peaceful farmer. No RMT. No bullying others unless they start it. I didn't disturbed the others (only a slot in high ladder), so I hardly see anything wrong with that kind of botting.

My accounts were banned once the editor discovered the trick I used to transfer wealth from farming bots to the main account.
Then... I stopped, I had enough fun with that, that was a cool experience of programming.

Regarding bots on PoE, things are a little bit different:

-> there is RMT: I would prefer this money to go to GGG instead of people setting up bots.

-> there are prizes for the best gamers: I feel it's unfair that people with bots get those prizes.

That's why I disagree on using bots with PoE, but I not mad at them: I don't expect coming close to the prizes and GGG are intelligent enough to deal with RMT and money they should have got, it's their business.

About bots detection:

This isn't really the bot that need to be detected, they can be quite smart.
The solution is "follow the money": characters getting unusually wealthy very quickly, characters giving away their orbs, along with 24/7 players, ...
Banning require some manual supervision to verify those symptoms, but an automated answer may be devised...

Innovative idea:

Tag the suspiciously earned items with a "bot tag", like the corrupted tag, automatically. This tag would be viral, contaminating all items traded with a tagged one.
This would mean that a player making a deal with tagged orbs could have his trades canceled or even destroyed if bot origin is confirmed. Even more: experience gained with tagged equipment could be removed, along with some passive skills.
This would halt trade with bots, because those tagged orbs' value would drop dramatically.
In game immersion can be preserved with a story to wrap that, be creative.

Other idea:

Let GGG staff buy a few orbs on RMT, then ban and destroy items and all related accounts. They can backtrack the origin of each item. :)
Easy, cheap, fast, reliable, effective.

Eventually, they will decide to take a cut from the RMT's profit, to "allow" them to continue. As much as they can use legislature to close down a RMT site, it is futile, they can up a new RMT site or 10 more faster than GGG can shut one down. Hence we see another lose/lose battle. I hate to be the one to make anyone here wake up and smell the flowers, but you know how in movies, good always wins at the end?; well in real life its the opposite, the dark side is ALWAYS one step further because they are not tied down by rules, unlike the righteous side. Takes u 2 months to get a court hearing, 5-6 mths for actual punishment to be delivered to a criminal, takes 5 secs for a criminal to "pass judgement and deal punishment" to anyone who so much as blinks his eye the wrong way at him. Get used to life, nothing's fair about it, the smart will always be a few steps in front of the stupid.
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt, fish or ride.
Lowballer - Ancient tribal slang for a total waste of time, and hence, will be totally and utterly ignored.
Last edited by emoqqboy on Apr 29, 2014, 10:56:25 AM
"
emoqqboy wrote:
"
Bluflonalgul wrote:
Interesting subject.

Background about me: My bot story

I once did bots on a web space game, just for the fun of programming. The main account sky rocketed the ladder, but that wasn't the objective (it's the only unfair point in fact).
I was just doing my things alone, as a peaceful farmer. No RMT. No bullying others unless they start it. I didn't disturbed the others (only a slot in high ladder), so I hardly see anything wrong with that kind of botting.

My accounts were banned once the editor discovered the trick I used to transfer wealth from farming bots to the main account.
Then... I stopped, I had enough fun with that, that was a cool experience of programming.

Regarding bots on PoE, things are a little bit different:

-> there is RMT: I would prefer this money to go to GGG instead of people setting up bots.

-> there are prizes for the best gamers: I feel it's unfair that people with bots get those prizes.

That's why I disagree on using bots with PoE, but I not mad at them: I don't expect coming close to the prizes and GGG are intelligent enough to deal with RMT and money they should have got, it's their business.

About bots detection:

This isn't really the bot that need to be detected, they can be quite smart.
The solution is "follow the money": characters getting unusually wealthy very quickly, characters giving away their orbs, along with 24/7 players, ...
Banning require some manual supervision to verify those symptoms, but an automated answer may be devised...

Innovative idea:

Tag the suspiciously earned items with a "bot tag", like the corrupted tag, automatically. This tag would be viral, contaminating all items traded with a tagged one.
This would mean that a player making a deal with tagged orbs could have his trades canceled or even destroyed if bot origin is confirmed. Even more: experience gained with tagged equipment could be removed, along with some passive skills.
This would halt trade with bots, because those tagged orbs' value would drop dramatically.
In game immersion can be preserved with a story to wrap that, be creative.

Other idea:

Let GGG staff buy a few orbs on RMT, then ban and destroy items and all related accounts. They can backtrack the origin of each item. :)
Easy, cheap, fast, reliable, effective.

Eventually, they will decide to take a cut from the RMT's profit, to "allow" them to continue. As much as they can use legislature to close down a RMT site, it is futile, they can up a new RMT site or 10 more faster than GGG can shut one down. Hence we see another lose/lose battle. I hate to be the one to make anyone here wake up and smell the flowers, but you know how in movies, good always wins at the end?; well in real life its the opposite, the dark side is ALWAYS one step further because they are not tied down by rules, unlike the righteous side. Takes u 2 months to get a court hearing, 5-6 mths for actual punishment to be delivered to a criminal, takes 5 secs for a criminal to "pass judgement and deal punishment" to anyone who so much as blinks his eye the wrong way at him. Get used to life, nothing's fair about it, the smart will always be a few steps in front of the stupid.

lold
IF there is 'grind' in a game, then there will be an incentive to bot.
Well said, "IF there is 'grind' in a game, then there will be an incentive to bot."

This has hold true for all games that have grind and different item rarity. Just accept it. It is not like it is the 1st to happen. Unless all orbs and items drop regularly in all levels, expect this to happen.

Who doesn't want all those super rare super strong loots? Tell me anyone playing this game does not want good loot. And if you say skill, I say half of it bullshit, as this is a gear game, you get lucky you get strong, you get unlucky, you stay weak. Just that. Period.

P/S: unless exalts and other good stuff drops like scrolls of wisdom or scrolls of portal, expect bots. And hurray to the 1500 fuses to get 6L chance. This type of stuff encourages bots, just saying.
why necro a 4 month old posts if you are not going to add anything to it other than agreeing whit what people said before?
"
thefredz wrote:
why necro a 4 month old posts if you are not going to add anything to it other than agreeing whit what people said before?

Gotta get that +1 yo..
"
well like you said, why else can ggg do? this is free2play, u ban botters, they just open a new account and continue like nothing happened. account-bound currency/items can help but the issue will still persist

There is a very easy way to fix this: make T1 gear drop for everyone often. This way botting will be useless as there will be no demand for items to RMT.

I considered RMT (instead of donation to GGG) as good gear cannot drop for casual players but instead decided to quit the game. I will probably play Forsaken Masturbators for a week or so and call it quits like all of my friends did back in Feb/March.

I am tired of playing same build for 3 seasons as I can never farm enough to pay insane XYZ prices and try other builds. Also I don't feel like playing (farming) for months to get one item which gets nerfed ("balanced") into the ground or even worse: made legacy.

So time to move on. I am still feel strongly about the following statement:
PoE is conceptually the best game on the market with shittiest execution known to mankind.

Hell is what I bring with me, not the place one goes.
"
CANNIBAL_DEUS wrote:
PoE is conceptually the best game on the market with shittiest execution known to mankind.

Although the rest of your post was caustic, this line is actually true, in my opinion.

They have a great concept, but, in catering to the economy, they are going overboard with balance changes and drop rate adjustments - so much that it is hurting the legitimate player, and not having much of an impact on a botter or a flipper or an RMTer.
GGG focused far, far, far too much time on the economic aspect of the game; so much so that bots can simply bypass the extremely weak gameplay foundation that would have deterred them in the first place. There is no depth in moment-to-moment gameplay, and bots take advantage of that.

A robotic arm can use a Skinner Box just as well as an animal; the dispenser won't know the difference.

All that needs to be done is to add gameplay that only a human can complete.
Last edited by Boatsniper on Aug 18, 2014, 8:51:46 PM
"
Boatsniper wrote:
GGG focused far, far, far too much time on the economic aspect of the game; so much so that bots can simply bypass the extremely weak gameplay foundation that would have deterred them in the first place. There is no depth in moment-to-moment gameplay, and bots take advantage of that.

A robotic arm can use a Skinner Box just as well as an animal; the dispenser won't know the difference.

All that needs to be done is to add gameplay that only a human can complete.

are you married
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info