Path Of Exile vs, Diablo 3

"
BurakUeda wrote:
I am a very open-minded person,
I came from DII,
and I hate DIII.

and I am sure there are MANY just like you! Everyone got different tastes.
"
cypherrage wrote:

That's why there is a CD. If there was no CD, all people would do is have a full inventory of pots, macro every key to also use a potion, never die. That sure sounds fun.

With CD I used life potion and then should kite for like two minutes just to restore HPs. Then getting back and loosung almost all my HPs in two seconds - another two minutes of kiting. Some strange gameplay, don't you think? Life potions are completely useless in D3

The whole game appeared to me as completely unbalanced and lazyly designed. Something you can expect from poor man Diablo clone, not Diablo 3
"
dima_dunedin wrote:
"
cypherrage wrote:

That's why there is a CD. If there was no CD, all people would do is have a full inventory of pots, macro every key to also use a potion, never die. That sure sounds fun.

With CD I used life potion and then should kite for like two minutes just to restore HPs. Then getting back and loosung almost all my HPs in two seconds - another two minutes of kiting. Some strange gameplay, don't you think? Life potions are completely useless in D3

The whole game appeared to me as completely unbalanced and lazyly designed. Something you can expect from poor man Diablo clone, not Diablo 3

You fail to see whats your/the problem, you don't like the monster damage and what not, this has nothing to do with the decision on making a CD for potions.

Btw. I assume you haven't played in a while, because the game is pretty easy MP 0 or MP 1. So, if the monster damage was your problem with the game I can only advice you to go play some more, game is definitly more approachable.

There are actually huge design fails in D3 but CD on potions is actually one of the few good.

"
"
dima_dunedin wrote:
"
Suolasissi wrote:
to the topic, i personallu like diablo3 bit more than POE becouse POE have few buggs still in-game

The whole Diablo 3 is one huge bug.

Cooldown on life potions? This is the dumbest idea I've ever seen

Blame the MMO influence there and the fact that the Blizzard that made D3 are most famous for making WoW. Such a shitty, forced mechanic would never have been considered by Blizzard North.

That's just bs, sry. Blizzard North had some good designers and there is no way anyone still thinks that the D2 way was good. Things had to change and as you can see even TL2 (that has some of the D2 guys) has CDs on potions.

I can't really remember the way it was in Hellgate London, but I doubt it was teh D2 way.
I went back and played some diablo 3 last night. We were farming keys from act one in a 4 player party, monster power 5 or 6.

I could honestly feel how far PoE has come, PoE is just flat out a better done ARPG. I once said I felt D3 was more fluid, but I retract that statement.

Playing D3 last night really made me appreciate how far PoE has come. PoE feels faster, my reactions matter more, and there is more playstyle available.

I was playing a witch doctor last night, and I went for the support roll with some control spells, a snare, and some zombies bears for when I could post up behind the tanking mage and drop bombs.

I did not expect the game to feel like I was sloshing through thick ass mud, but it did. I felt like the game lied about when I was taking damage, and I felt like the areas were tiny and very linear compared to PoE.

I havn't played PoE again after my D3-fest last night, but I am guessing I am going to be very pleased.

If I could just get those jobbers I play D3 with to move over to PoE. They are really good gamers, they just dont know what a good game is sometimes. And I am convinced at least one of them wont play PoE cuz of the noticeable lack of top heavy female choices for the different classes. A very stupid reason imo, but they are 20 something guys in need of some ass I think.
Hey...is this thing on?
After spending countless hours of playing the 3 main arpgs out there today Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, and POE I come to the following conclusion. This is my unbiased opinion trying to put out there what essentially each game comes to be and maybe it will help those out there who are in doubt.

Torchlight 2: Its fun, that's pretty much it. The game came out and its been what? 1 year and a half or so? Hasn't received any new areas or additions or dlc or anything. It got patched some new maps and enemies and items but that's it. The fans of that game protect it by saying
- "Well you'd rather they put out pink bunnies/blue bunnies and charge 9$ for each or have a stable game?"
They could've added a new class as each class is boring to play IMO and you never get to feel as if you hit the sweet spot on your character. I played a berserker and I always felt very squishy even though I had the best items available to me and I kept striving out to get better but that's just it, you cannot improve yourself on any level in that game. You can't out gear or out skill your content its just such a basic, casual game that none of that matters. Items are boring there are no special stats its similar to D3 in this, you get a new awesome unique its basically a +20 damg +10 something upgrade over your old one. You may play this game for fun for a couple of days but it gets boring after that. The areas and mobs are so boring its like you've entered a fire zone all mobs deal fire now. You've entered the stunning zone watch out for the big guys that can stun you during your stay! Basically put, buy it when its cheap on steam, play it for a weekend with some friends, have your fun and then let it go. This game cannot be played as an ongoing play it all the time grind your xp / items kind of game.

Diablo 3: If you haven't played it, whatever you do or decide spend your money on anything else but this game. It is completely fake how all those sites and players advertise this game if you had any connection to Diablo 2 and are expecting a remotely similar game you will be sorry. So its not D2 all us D2 fans boo hoo, can't it still be a good game you ask? D3 is very fast paced, the combat is fluid and awesome but there is no tactics or any thought involved in the game play. Do you have good gear to do this difficulty level which is exactly the same as everything you've been doing for the past 2 weeks but the mobs now hit more?
Yes: Go do this difficulty till you can out gear it then go to the next difficulty.
No: Grind the difficulty before it for money then go to the AH and buy better gear and proceed to next difficulty.
Some of my friends still play this game and they keep begging me to come back. I just don't understand man, you do the exact same stuff in the exact same map every single time its the same mobs the same attacks nothing changes its so so stupid. Your attacks by the way are spammed rather then any kind of coherent tactic, you got 5 skills you just spam off cool down and take those baddies down with flashy effects, yeah take that diablo! Who apparently has an IQ of 55 and his dialogue written by a 9 year old kid with down syndrome. Avoid this game like the plague don't believe people who tell you its good, there is nothing to see here.

POE: Ultimately, in the end, this will be "the game". This will probably be the greatest arpg ever it will be the diablo 2 for the next 20 years until big companies pervert the genre again and a group of POE fans come out and make a new game based off their love of POE, WHEN ITS FINISHED. Emphasis on that last part. The game is at beta right now and every month something new pops up which becomes a much better alternative to doing stuff that may render your previous way of playing not so great.
Lets talk about the game first before I get to why I don't play it anymore. You have a bunch of stats and things that come in to play when you do damage or when you take damage, what kind of damage etc. This makes you actually think and build a character. Yes this is the first game ever where you actually build a character because of the awesome passive tree system. You shape your character to the way you want to play the game and provided you actually make a smart build and have the items to back it up your build will work its purpose and you will feel fulfilled. This fulfillment is very important, we had this is D2 where you always strived to make the ultimate character be it a smitadin, javzon, bowzon, hammerdin whatever. Oh there's a belt out there with 1 armor more then the one I have now which will do absolutely nothing whatsoever for my survivability? I HAVE TO HAVE IT TAKE ALL MY MONEY OMG. Yes this is how people were in D2, they were perfectionists, and this game's building system fits very well for this mentality. You have different ways of protecting yourself be it energy shield, armor, hp, evasion, whatever. You have different ways of using energy for your abilities be it through mana and having your build focused on mana regen or have your abilities use your health and build according to that. There is just so much versatility involved and this is just the bare skeleton you have 6 classes and over 50 offensive/defensive skill gems to pick how you want to play each with over 30 other support gems that change the skill gem itself, basically yeah there's so many ways to play it. Obviously some work better then others but you can technically make anything work.

The game has maps that spawn random locations and monsters with different affixes each time that keeps being interesting to tackle without getting boring or feeling "grindy" at all. Now there are problems. Basically in the late game you come to a stage where you either live through encounters and are able to kill mobs happily and go on your way, or you get some random shit pops out of nowhere be it some mob off screen that shot some lightning your way or a leaping mob that jumps and hits you before you can react and you just get 1 shot, BOOM DEAD, ttyl bye. All that armor or hp or energy shield or resistances don't count for anything if they're not appropriate for the occasion. Your 1 character cannot become the ultimate character and do everything unless he has some cheesy way of doing it. The late game comes to surviving rather then doing damage, you have to understand what you could be up against in that map and get the correct protection on before you try to complete it. Its annoying when you die in a map and you have awesome gear and whatnot and feel cheated but no I don't have any lightning resistance so its completely normal that I died there.
You can focus on avoidance and careful play as your defensive tools because it usually doesn't matter if you have crappy gear and 2k hp or awesome gear and 4k hp you get 1 shot anyways. This is a really punishing mechanic that I do not enjoy about this game but everyone else seems to be fine with it. Also your build does end up being either 1 attack and some buffs and auras or 1 aoe attack and 1 single target attack and buffs and auras. So you will be using the same attack over and over absolutely nothing else just spam that stupid shit non-stop which got boring for me.

Now all that negative stuff is personal opinion and you may agree with it or not but there is 1 thing which is indisputable and game breaking which affects everyone and makes this game unplayable for me. Its got bad optimization. There are troubles in the core of the game which they said they would fix in the future but its been almost a year since I stopped playing and I keep track with the game every now and then and still see it in the forums or on people's streams. The game punishes your system and drives it to work at very hot, which caused my previous gfx card to burn, and it has lag / freezing problems which happen to everyone. You know how people cry about "Oh it lagged" when they die? That's exactly the case in this game. Its so crucial that you avoid every single attack because 1 hit and you're dead and monsters pop out of nowhere and shoot shit at you etc etc all that good stuff, and you will basically think you're playing normal when the game actually has moved on a couple of seconds and you're dead then your game will catch up to speed and you'll just appear dead all of a sudden. This happens so much its so annoying and I don't understand how people put up with it in this day and age. I was about to return to the game again and I started reading the forums and I still see the same crap so until its fixed I will not play.

So there you go my opinions on TL2, D3, and POE. I hope this helped someone out there searching for answers.
Path of Exile and Diablo III are completely different in every aspect and there is no comparison.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

They both have their positive and negative moments.

Quit comparing the two games. The only thing they have in common is both being in the ARPG genre with an isometric view.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Everytime a comparison thread gets created I just imagine what GGG could develop with a financal base like Activision-Blizzard. Just imagine the engine they could have created for this game.

I really hope GGG does land a hit with PoE in the long term so it can further be developed
and the next game of this awesome game creation studio gets a better start right away.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Aug 3, 2013, 6:26:23 PM
"
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
Everytime a comparison thread gets created I just imagine what GGG could develop with a financal base like Activision-Blizzard. Just imagine the engine they could have created for this game.

I really hope GGG does land a hit with PoE in the long term so it can further be developed
and the next game of this awesome game creation studio gets a better start right away.

Don't worry, I've sent in my purchase order for the new $5m supporter pack, my gold-plated flying laser-eyed rhoa is on its way! (The cheque is in the mail)

What is the pack including furthermore?
Will you be able to create an NPC?

I am sure we need more Schwarzenegger in the game.
Does the pack include a candlelight dinner with Bex?
Thanks GGG for this game. I, for one, applaud you on making an excellent action RPG that takes me back to the sheer ecstasy of the D2 years.

I've loved every Blizzard game including D3, but unlike StarCraft 2, which took the original game and put it on steroids....D3 left me scratching my head after a month wondering how it had taken them so long to strip out all that was fun and great about its predecessor...

After getting all characters to Hell and some to Inferno, the variations in class playstyle and the RMAH made me feel like I was just grinding away with no reward save some achievements and the knowledge that I had conquered Inferno.

It was fun for two months. And then it just wasn't.

To me, the art, music, gameplay, passive tree, and gem system make POE exciting thinking of the build variants I can devise and perfect. Call me n00b. I'm lvl 21. But the longing for a D2 successor is filled with this game.

I don't understand any posters that played a ton of D2 and think D3 is more fun that POE. To those who played D3, but not D2...you don't realize what you missed.

I'm sure I'll get trolled, ignored, praised, or possibly something else. I just wanted to say I am glad GGG made this game. I hope you continue to develop and improve it.
I have not been playing PoE for too long, just a couple days worth so far. A few things become apparent on playing this game, and occasionally continuing to play D3.

- No gold: Oh My God, what the hell were you imbibing at the time!!!! Awesome economy right there. The so called currency items, the dynamic pricing depending on the perceived worth of the items on offer by the trade partner, all make for a very interesting and social trading scene (when i eventually get to it)

- No Auction House, no pay to win. This has been one of my biggest misgivings with Diablo 3. For a lot of players of the Diablo franchise, the grind for gear and the hope for "the awesome two hander" that was "just at the end of another Mephisto run", hopefully. Was the main draw that kept people playing long after they stopped paying attention to the graphics and the story etc. The GAH and the RMAH effectively killed that.

- Better pacing of the action (granted i have just started playing PoE) allows me the luxury of taking in the game environment and appreciate the feel of the game world. Not really as frantic as D3 (but then i am comparing to Inferno Act 3)

- Less cartoon-ish and more; ambiance i guess would be the closest word. PoE actually manages to convey the setting very well.

- More variety, in D3 every Demon Hunter invariably ends up looking the same since there are just so many viable builds for the class, depending on which skills were nerfed/boosted in the latest patch. Thus their skills are identical. Also about appearances, the build to a large extent determines what gear they would have equipped. The dye pots hardly make much of a difference. I trust the same is true for any other class in D3. In PoE there is no "one size fits all" build for any class, from what i can see, you can go your own way, and the results are varied and very interesting.

- PoE somehow seems more of a collaborative effort between GGG and its players. Or GGG thinking as players first and as a company second.

Would play more.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info