[1.2] Oldschool, cheap and noobfriendly "Sword&Board" Marauder

My new crafted Sword :D

Btw i have huge mana problems, double strike costs 15 mana/attack(with melee splash)
i cant use any mana/rege amulet because i need this amulet
to equip my weapon and reave skill.
I was wondering if there is mana/rege rings....

My Passive Tree right now:
Passive skill tree build

193 Mana Btw!

Sorry,but this is my first ARPG and i'm kinda noob! :)

Last edited by Hextrinix on Mar 10, 2014, 3:53:16 PM
very nice guide, I'll give this char a try cuz i love the traditional 'hero'-feeling.

also: written in an entertaining and easily understandable way. would love to read more from you.

will this sword do? :

i was considering to skip the resolute technique and go for the nodes that reduce enemy chance to block swords attacks (3 nodes total of 55% reduc.). that way i can keep crits, don't need much accu and get to drop by some damage nodes as well. will cost a few more nodes though.... what do u think?

and one more question: block recovery speed is not needed? i guess u block a lot...so don't u get into a 'block-lock' if the block recovery speed is too low?
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Last edited by Antigegner on Mar 10, 2014, 4:46:50 PM
This is a good guide and I'm doing a similar thing.

One particular problem though, is that I was getting stunned, frozen, shocked even with max resists in merc.

I am spending 4 points to go get unwavering stance
"
Baxta wrote:
This is a good guide and I'm doing a similar thing.

One particular problem though, is that I was getting stunned, frozen, shocked even with max resists in merc.

I am spending 4 points to go get unwavering stance

unwavering makes me unable to evade and just reduces my evasion to basically zero, right? i can still block phys or block spells, right? or does it also take away my evasion for spells?
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
"
Hextrinix wrote:
My new crafted Sword :D

Dont forget to add an "orb of augmentation". Maybe you are lucky and get attack speed.

"

Btw i have huge mana problems, double strike costs 15 mana/attack(with melee splash)
i cant use any mana/rege amulet because i need this amulet
to equip my weapon and reave skill.
I was wondering if there is mana/rege rings....

Use 2 mana flasks.
There's no way around it until you are lucky on drops (Clarity aura, mana leech, mana regen). Even with a mana amulet you will not cover the cost in the beginning.

"
Antigegner wrote:

will this sword do? :

~210 pDpS. This will get you into maps, but I'd check poe.xyz for an upgrade (~300 DpS) at Level 70-75 (or earlier if you got the 2-3 exalted orbs).

"

i was considering to skip the resolute technique and go for the nodes that reduce enemy chance to block swords attacks (3 nodes total of 55% reduc.). that way i can keep crits, don't need much accu and get to drop by some damage nodes as well. will cost a few more nodes though.... what do u think?

"Reduced chance to block" is a pure PvP node. It only works against monsters with shields (which there are basically none, except for the elite dudes in battlefields) or against players (who more frequently use shields).
It is not related to "chance to hit" or accuracy.

I've been playing around in the old and new skilltree, trying to build an accuracy-crit-based S&B-Marauder for quite a while.
It could work, there's a couple of very strong crit nodes nearby (left side, next to templar and marauder, two fat crit clusters).
But it comes with a hefty price in skillpoints.
And swords only have 5% base crit, it will be very hard to get above 50% crit chance.

If I find enough regret orbs (to spec out of it if it turns out to be shit) and semi-ok crit equip, I will give it a try.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Baxta wrote:

I was never ever in any fight or in any map stunned in a way it bothered me at all. Didn't really interrupt my killing sprees. For me this "Unwavering Stance" is a waste of skillpoints, I didn't even think about it when it was right on the path. And i will 100% not grab it now that it is off.

Frozen and Shocked happens. I use a flask against "frozen" as this is annoying, and "shocked" was never an issue - except for the harder bosses. There you have to run away or dodge their lightning stuff "manually", like: do not stand athere and let Vaal shoot you with his laser three times, do not stand in piety's storm calls etc.
Or use spell block against those bosses.

"
Antigegner wrote:

unwavering makes me unable to evade and just reduces my evasion to basically zero, right? i can still block phys or block spells, right? or does it also take away my evasion for spells?

US reduces Evasion to zero.
If you take this, you have to take Iron Reflexes to get your evasion converted to armor.

Evasion does not interfere with Block or Dodge, those are different mechanics.

Ich geb Dir mal nen Link auf Deutsch, wo das alles recht gut erklärt ist:
http://www.exiled.eu/foren/thema/defensive-spielmechaniken-armor-evasion-dodge-block-energy-shield/
Last edited by Peterlerock on Mar 10, 2014, 5:06:58 PM
dude i´m loving your build... have to modify a little (went for RT, then BM and a 30+ dex node betwen marauder duelist area, i´ll be filling up the damage/armour/life nodes in marauder area now) but i can reespect out when i got more level on my char, but so far in ambush league everything is great.

i got my self a multistrike in lvl 21 and start using Reave/MS/LgoH for both AoE and single target damage and it works like a charm, i know (tested) that double strike/melee Splash/multistrike does more damage, but whit reave, LgoH gem and whit BM i can facetank like 20 mobs+ 1 turbo rare+ 1 extra phys damage rare and a flask whit the armour mod whit close to zero problems (i am low level but it is the first time i can do that whitout diyng or kite like a crazy)

so far it´s amazing, probably will need Aegis for endgame but that shit is just natural xD
Thx for the nice words. :)

"
Towers00 wrote:

so far it´s amazing, probably will need Aegis for endgame but that shit is just natural xD

Sure, Aegis gives you another (stupidly broken) line of defense.

Having max Block alone is crazily strong, but getting your Energy Shield recovered on 3/4 of enemy attacks, that's just plain stupid. I have no idea what GGG was thinking introducing this shield.
If you can get it (legacy would be preferred of course), it will for sure make you way more tanky.

But this is an absolute "lategame option". For your 90s. You don't need this before.
"
Peterlerock wrote:
Thx for the nice words. :)

"
Towers00 wrote:

Sure, Aegis gives you another (stupidly broken) line of defense.

Having max Block alone is crazily strong, but getting your Energy Shield recovered on 3/4 of enemy attacks, that's just plain stupid. I have no idea what GGG was thinking introducing this shield.
If you can get it (legacy would be preferred of course), it will for sure make you way more tanky.

But this is an absolute "lategame option". For your 90s. You don't need this before.

who cares what they where thinking xDDD hopefully they dont nerf that, is my first char on the new league so hoping for a good time late in the game.
I'm thinking about dropping the (not so great) health nodes in the marauder start.

Instead of the current version, I could walk over the attack speed nodes...
(tree only shows the starting zone and "exit point", not a full build of any kind)

The investment of 5 points for "24% life, 16 life, 40% armor" feels a little bit overpriced.
Or just "ok", not "great".

Rearranging what I get there:
*three 8% health nodes
*two 20% armor nodes
*a bonus of 16 flat life

This is not bad, but is it really worth taking?

On the other hand, is the top start really worth it?
25% damage, 12% attackspeed for 5 nodes?
That's "5% damage, 2,4% attackspeed" per node.
Also not too great...

Any thoughts on this?
You're forced to take one of the two ways, but which one would you prefer?

Last edited by Peterlerock on Mar 11, 2014, 4:15:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info