[1.2] Oldschool, cheap and noobfriendly "Sword&Board" Marauder

I'd go for survivability over damage any day of the week. Health and armor > dmg imo.
Last edited by horizon21 on Mar 11, 2014, 7:17:20 AM
Selffound Walkthrough part 3...

Level 54 - Unlocking the Sceptre of God (Cruel)

Spoiler

Cruel Act 3 is where things get a little harder, especially the Dominus fight is a problem for many players. If you play completly selffound, this is a huge "gear check".

Passive tree progression
I focussed on survivability.
I entered the Duelist zone to get another 20% life (and some damage), and I grabbed the "10% all resist" node in the Marauder zone. There's a "flask regen" node on the way that is basically useless, I will respec out of it once I close the loop from the other side (the armor nodes).

Current tree (Level 54)

Gear progression

With the two resistance nodes, I managed to almost cap my resists. You really want them to be as close as possible to 75% when facing Dominus.
I also got ~3000 life, which I find is an ok value at this point, at least if you're not playing hardcore.

As offense is another form of defense (the faster you kill, the fewer enemy attacks you have to suffer), I bought a new sword with ~200 pDpS on poe.xyz.is.
Swords like this cost between 3 and 8 chaos, while 8 is super overprized and 3 is a very good deal, the later in the league, the cheaper they will be. I payed ~5 chaos for mine.
This sword will get me into maps, I will not have to buy an upgrade for quite a while.

The rest of my gear is horrible. I have no movespeed, shitty armor values, not the sockets I like...
But I stopped myself from spending any currency whatsoever in crafting or trading. As long as I can survive and progress, I will be fine.

Current Gear
Spoiler

With this stuff, I manage to have these stats:
Spoiler

This is not where I want it to be, but I think it's ok for now.
(Cut 40% resists for Merciless, this screen is from Cruel))

There's absolutly no point levelling or farming in a zone with itemlevel <60, so I will continue rushing through the content until I get at least to Fellshrine Ruins Merciless.

Dominus fight was ok, I got hit by a couple of "Touch of God" (leap slam is too slow to doge without faster attacks), but I managed to do the fight without any deaths, facetanking all minions and lesser bosses.

And the Hillock quest at merciless start netted a nice ring I will wear for sure, especially against the cold damage bosses to come:

Sweet physical damage and life.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Mar 11, 2014, 7:37:36 AM
The marauder start is very inefficient, i"m going for the res wheel instead, since is my first char i dont have in-store gear or currenci to buy better one so late game i can respect out those, locking for the duelist area now
, getting life in the pasives is a bitch right mow but the build makes ot just fine whit very little investment
Thanks for posting this guide. Been using it for Invasion league and now is at level 27. Got lucky with a crest of perandus drop at level 10. Tanky as hell.
One question, What passive nodes would you change if its for hardcore or just remain as it is?
I'm thinking about changing this build to axes instead.
Just wanted some input on this before I commit, thanks!

Passive Tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAecEsQUtEuEUIBiRGNsaPhpVGtsbrSFgI_Yl3ycvKS426DiWPeI9_ECgR35I7kp9TGBQR1PfVElW-lcNWGNY21pIW69fP2BLYSFko2VNZ6BuaXKpcrt07XTxeK5673y4fNmE2YTvh3aLT4zPkAqRzpVmm4OezaC0oW2nMKyvtxe307nNu-28n76nwA_G2Mzb0iHSTdN-18vdDeOf5FHuDu8O7_DxrPIv8wb2SPcy9777qvzFG_qkGeeukHQ6UuJhlZsm-DB3Zackm4CK902GYDBPwaM=

Was wanting to use this @ Lvl 69

So far I'm enjoying this build, I respec'd after Sotv update.
@Nanology
Passive tree looks fine, but I'm not sure this weapon is any good.
It has little to no physical damage, so all the sweet %damage from the tree will be wasted.
And you will not be able to get serious life leech.
I'd rather buy a rare pDpS Axe.

What main skill do you want to go for?

@NoRemorse77
If you want it to be more tanky, you would have to completly change the build, as I pretty much took each and every health node nearby.
But I think it's just fine as it is, just prioritize survivability while levelling up.
After the patch hit I switched from 2h groundslammer as I was finding it hard even pre patch to do 76/77/78 map bosses with 45k GS and the then un-nerfed Vaals Pact.

Looked into this guide and initially specced into the dex heavy SnB build tree in OP. Tried hard bosses (Shrine Piety, Crema boss, Palace Dominus) and found that build still wasn't tanky enough so built via Templar area instead. Am now quite happy with the tanky-ness with only Dominus being problematic.

For those that feel a bit squishy still:

Tree

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwB5wSzBS0M9xRNGYUaMho4Gmwb-h0UJJskqiXfJy8oxTboNuk62D38QKBGaUd-TDVN2FFgU99VxlcNWGNYr1jbWfNfP2BLZU1mnmoebmlwfXKpdO14DXrvfNmAioFvgziE2YTvjHaMz49GkFWRzpuDnjyeuZ7NoLSiAKQZpKynMKeEqBiplavFrKqsr69stPm77byfvoq-p8APwBrDhsWKxtjPZdDQ0iHSTeNq45_kUeeR6dXsOO8O73zwH_Iv8wbzvvPd9kj3MvdN-tL7qg==

Gear and stats

Spoiler

- For spell caster maps

Reave DPS 22k
Armor 14k (Determination 21.5k)
Last edited by kurOsawa79 on Mar 12, 2014, 12:52:28 PM
You're funny.
You post a semi equal skilltree, but items that are twice as good and 1000times as expensive, and tell "it is tankier". Of course it is, but that is your items, not the tree.

My build has (what yours doesnt take):
24% bloodless
18% armor/life
12% sword/life nodes
34% Thick Skin
28% on the right of Ranger
+Dex required for the Gems
Total: +116% life

Your build has (what mine doesnt take):
24% Athleticism
34% Templar start
32% Holy Strength
26% Purity of Flesh
+30 flat life and more Strentgh for a bit more flat life (too lazy to count)
Total: +116% life

Looks like that %life number is the same. ;)

Your tree does about half the damage (same DPS, but with a 400DpS sword and double Mings heart).
You're tankier only because of Aegis Aurora + spellblock (which is just a gear choice, not a build or skill tree choice).

What it comes down to:
Boths trees provide a ton of block, armor and life.
Mine does a ton of damage too, yours doesn't.
To even come close to the same damage, you need to use insane lategame gear.

Your build however can have more life in the 90s, as you can grab further life nodes between Duelist and Marauder. To get more life on my tree is a bit harder (the only untaken nodes are the 3 at Gymnastics (ranger)).
Last edited by Peterlerock on Mar 12, 2014, 12:30:40 PM
While I dont dispute that our life is similar, the tankiness comes from the extra block. Youre using a BoR to reach max block. There's too much compromise using a BoR when it comes to defense. I agree that this tree is more suited to Aegis users however, as energy shield nodes and int is more important to me than dex and more dmg. The fact remains, to tank hard map mods in the high 70s, you cant try and run a DPS heavy shield build. Yes youre trying to balance it but you might as well go all out DPS. Spellcaster and hard hitters on -max maps in 77/78 are gonna drop you in a heartbeat. Also with low int you cant use high lvl enfeeble = more dmg taken. I guess its just a different take on SnB and mine is similar to Gelligs tank with 100% more dps but without the kaoms.
Last edited by kurOsawa79 on Mar 12, 2014, 1:06:47 PM
This is a "guide", not a "look at my crazy stuff" like other threads.

My main goal was to make a build that will enable me (and other players after sharing) to reach Endgame content, to tank most stuff and to do sweet DpS without "BiS gear".
You will survive almost anything(*) and have no problems killing everything with this build.

I go for BoR as it is achievable for everybody. My whole gear set is around 10-11 ex (7 for BoR, 1(+1 I used) for sword, 10c for shield, rest is nice selffound stuff I'd put at ~30c total).
Would I even get one single piece of your gear for it? Maybe the gloves, but I doubt it.

Of course you can get the missing 15% block by cutting ~15 damage nodes (what is kinda what you did). But this will leave an average player sitting on a DpS of maybe 9000 endgame.
That's why I advertize the BoR (and I'd also advertize the new one) to save these skillpoints.
Against heavy spellcasters I was usually fine with just Stone of Lazwhar.

(*): If I fail, am too slow, not prepared, too stupid, unknowing or whatever I could do wrong, I have no issues with dying.
I will take that trade any day ("risk and quick progression" vs "even more tanky and slower progression").

If a player has the currency to get gear like yours (or already owns such gear), I would not tell him to play this build to the last skillpoint.
But such players should not need a guide in the first place.

It is obvious that you don't need as much damage as I do.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info