[1.2] Oldschool, cheap and noobfriendly "Sword&Board" Marauder

"
horizon21 wrote:

However, I suspect that as all FOTM builds, SB will be nerfed and those guys will suffer :(

They wont suffer at all. They're using SB to level up, not as their final build. Go look at Martin Creeks video, facerolling act 1 merciless with Searing Bond without a single skill point applied.

By the time it gets nerfed, they'll level up way quicker than you, and when it gets nerfed they'll all just respec to their final builds. It's a huge win for them and another example how bad GGG is at balancing.
Can you please not start another Searing Bond discussion here?
There's like 200 topics in the forum about this.

@horizon
Noone is stopping you from using the levelling method you prefer.
If you want facebreaker+meginords, do so.
If you want Searing Bond or Spectral Throw, so be it.

But I find it a weird statement that "you have to be carried". If you're not able to go through the content with this build, you are simply doing it wrong.
I'm already pretty much invulnerable, even though I didnt start with the shield block nodes yet. And mobs take 1 rightclick to die. What more do you need?

---

Selffound Walkthrough updated to Lvl 46.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Mar 10, 2014, 6:03:36 AM
I'd love to take the easy way out but this is a new league and that sword is the best item I have. I suppose the character build is good enough from a self-found perspective. Don't get me wrong, so far, so good. And yes, I have to be carried if I want to go with the speed I am used to. It does not take me 1 right click to kill mobs in act 3 cruel. It takes 3-4 "double strikes" with some occasional kiting on my side in order to avoid getting killed because I cannot tank, yet. I'm just putting this out there in case there are people who are spoiled like myself :)
"
horizon21 wrote:
I'd love to take the easy way out but this is a new league and that sword is the best item I have. I suppose the character build is good enough from a self-found perspective. Don't get me wrong, so far, so good. And yes, I have to be carried if I want to go with the speed I am used to.

That's something completly different than what you wrote before.

What you wrote before sounded like:
"This build is too weak to progress alone."
Now it's like:
"This build is slower than what I am used to from old leagues, and the reason is: I'm poor and don't have items yet."

Of course in a new league without any currency or item pool, you progress slower.
There's not too many builds out there that perform 100% without good gear or without mandatory build-enabling stuff.

I rushed the first version of this marauder to Lvl 60 in the same time it took me now to get this one to Lvl 46. That's the difference between "oh well, lets spend 20 chaos on this and that" and "oh, I don't have any more wisdom scrolls". ;-)

I guess for ~5 chaos you can double your DpS.

Last edited by Peterlerock on Mar 10, 2014, 7:31:14 AM
Completely right. I just doubled my dps for the low low price of just 3 chaos orbs. Guys, if you are low on chaos orbs, make sure you take Reduced Mana every time it is offered to you as a quest reward. Sell the extra ones for 3 chaos a piece and you can easily buy upgrades this way.
Anyway, here's my precious 215 DPS sword:

Now I do 2000 DPS with Double Strike + Blood Magic + Melee Splash + Faster Attacks. I am also using 2 auras - Hatred + Determination. I have 1749 armor with Determination on :) Farming docks on cruel with 2k dps is a breeze solo and in a party.
Here's the rest of my gear.
Last edited by horizon21 on Mar 10, 2014, 9:16:27 AM
"
In City of Sarn, I finally find a nice shield, and I craft - again using the recipe, this time with a shitty rare rustic sash I found - a sword to progress, it gets my DpS up to ~270 (Double Strike + Melee Splash):

Hi, i'm new in PoE, u said u crafted the sword, didnt know u can craft stuff, im lvl 27 and my weapon is pretty bad Physical Damage:13-19 lol. Can u tell me the recipe to craft that weapon its so hard to keep going with this low dps. :) my gear is good i think got 801 armor and 781 hp(little low).
Last edited by Hextrinix on Mar 10, 2014, 9:16:17 AM
Hi, Hex.
Have a look at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipes
The recipe in question is the "Weapon with (20 to 89%) Increased Physical Damage". Search for that in there.

Basically, you vendor any weapon with a rustic sash and a blacksmith's whetstone. Direct quote from the above wiki: "Weapon may be any rarity, recipe always makes a magic (Blue) item. The rarity and ilevel of the Rustic Sash determines the % roll: Normal (White) gives the "Heavy" mod (20-49%), magic (Blue) the "Serrated" mod (50-69%) and rare (Yellow) the "Wicked" mod (70-89%)."
"
horizon21 wrote:
Hi, Hex.
Have a look at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipes
The recipe in question is the "Weapon with (20 to 89%) Increased Physical Damage". Search for that in there.

Basically, you vendor any weapon with a rustic sash and a blacksmith's whetstone. Direct quote from the above wiki: "Weapon may be any rarity, recipe always makes a magic (Blue) item. The rarity and ilevel of the Rustic Sash determines the % roll: Normal (White) gives the "Heavy" mod (20-49%), magic (Blue) the "Serrated" mod (50-69%) and rare (Yellow) the "Wicked" mod (70-89%)."

Thanks! It's time to craft :D
"
horizon21 wrote:
Anyway, here's my precious 215 DPS sword:

Same here:

I paid a little more because I wanted a quick trade, sitting at 2500 DpS with Hatred (2000 pDpS) now.

My reduced mana needs another 1-2 levels so I can run Determination as well and still use Leap Slam. Right now it is: 2 auras or leapslamming, and who needs armor in cruel? ;)

@Hextrinix
But pls dont waste currency on your 13-19 sword. ;)
EDIT: Ignore this, I am blind

Hello, thank you for posting this guide!

I just have one question, I'm pretty new and I'm wondering what gems to use for my main attack, because I think it will be a while until I can get my hands on the multi strike gem.
Last edited by heymynameislukas on Mar 10, 2014, 2:34:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info