[1.2] Oldschool, cheap and noobfriendly "Sword&Board" Marauder

There will be a selffound walkthrough in post #3.
Currently Lvl31, just arrived in City of Sarn. Seems like all these Vaal areas and Boxes make you overlevel the content like crazy.

I take my time playing and I don't rush the content, so don't expect Merciless Act 3 tomorrow. ;)

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Gonna try this one out!

Hope it's somewhat potent damage wise, I can't stand chewing through enemies in slow motion.
[Removed by Support]
Le Mankey Face amirite guise :---------------------------------------)
Last edited by Stewart_GGG on Mar 7, 2014, 5:23:50 PM
I don't post much, mostly I lurk. I tried an Ice shot crit ranger build during domination as the first build I did alright with. Was mostly evasion based and had alot of micro involving dodging around avoiding enemy attacks lest I get one shoted, and constant mana problems. It was fun, but for this league I wanted something totally opposite, so I looked around for something beefy and melee. Since the marauder is all shiny and new again, and I wanted something durable, I figured I'd try this build. I'm only at level 16 right now, but the difference in how the Brutus and Merveil fights went was astonishing (to me anyway), even if it's just normal difficulty. With the ranger I was constantly juking around chipping away at the bosses health during brief openings, burning through my flasks each time I took a hit, then porting back to base to refill them, several times. With this marauder I just walked up and pimp slapped them a few times till they rolled over, having never got below 80% health. I was utterly shocked at how easy they were, to the point of laughter. Of course, i've had a few near death moments in the new vaal zones (due to spell caster bosses), but otherwise this build is already really tanky with mostly strength nodes on the way to resolute technique, nor does it feel especially grindy so far, thought that may just be due to getting an okay 50 dps sword from the monkeys in the zone after merveil. So, thanks for this build. :)

I've been using cleave for aoe, plus leap slam for getting to strays, since I didn't see any recommendations for what to use before getting melee splash for double strike. I don't really know if that's optimal, but it's been fun. I've got double strike and cleave linked to added fire damage at the moment, like so:

"
JeffSteel wrote:
With this marauder I just walked up and pimp slapped them a few times till they rolled over, having never got below 80% health. I was utterly shocked at how easy they were, to the point of laughter.

This is why I like this build. ;-)

"
JeffSteel wrote:

I've been using cleave for aoe, plus leap slam for getting to strays, since I didn't see any recommendations for what to use before getting melee splash for double strike. I don't really know if that's optimal, but it's been fun.

I can give you no real recommendation.

For A1N, you can do whatever you want...

Spectral Throw, Ground Slam, Cleave, slow-Reave... I didnt even use any AoE skill. ;)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Mar 8, 2014, 5:01:36 AM
Hey,
Yesterday I was wondering where to go with my maruder and BoR witch I found just before the SotV patch (pure luck:)) than I looked to this build.
I love it :)
It't simple, cheap and match descent survi with good dps.
I practicly took all gear from my stash, had to buy Qgems and a sword only.
So far I'm lvl 76, running first maps.
Pdps mobs can't do shit against 14k armour and 65% block (I'm close to ranger shield nodes now)
I capped my res easily. Though I can see that spells are biggest problem in higher maps. Namely incinerate mobs in big group killed me once.
Here's my gear:

I use lioneye's Remorse for it's block, high life and great armour. I wonder if this ammy
is going to save me better form high dps spells ?
Hello, after skill tree reset I tried this build. Im lvl 61 now and for me this build don't work well but its probably cause my shity gear. Anyway I will try survive and keep farming for better items.

@up I was using Stone of Lazhwar and it provided nice spell block which saved me versus mages. I recommend it for you.
I see everyone get Resolute Technique in seemingly every build, with accuracy increase from swords would a build not using RT work if say I built in some crit multipliers? I am just wondering why GGG would make RT so good that every build/style seems to find it necessary.
I think RT is one of the best nodes. You don't need to spend tons of points in accuracy, its important when you need life leech and it eliminate frustration when you miss your attack. It provides a lot with only critics sacrificed.
Started to follow this build for an alt on the new leagues. I have a few questions, maybe they've been asked somewhere in the thread but i didn't feel like reading through all the comments. Excuse me, if it's redundant:

1. I've never used Reave, but i was wondering if there's any "tactical" advantage of using it over Infernal Blow, or it's just a matter of taste? Not judging the skill, just wondering, since i've leveled an IB tank to 70+ and it was just great, i am curious about Reave since i haven't used it, but i wanted to know.

2. I didn't see Tempest Shield mentioned anywhere in the supporting skills... A shield tank build without Tempest Shield? Why?

3. I know that the idea of the guide is to be cheap, noobfriendly etc, but could you mention some items to be keeping an eye out for?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info