[1.2] Oldschool, cheap and noobfriendly "Sword&Board" Marauder

With POE being my first action rpg and having around 300hrs as a standard player I still consider myself new to the game, trying different builds and classes.
I was confused on total dps of the axe to phys dmg! My mistake!

Right now my main skill it reave/multistrike, but yet again my mistake not knowing that reave doesn't support axes... *derp!

Current weapon @ Lvl 64, Starting to hit that wall where it's taking longer to kill enemies.
I currently don't have that much currency, around 30c and 1ex...
Farming for a better weapon isn't really working out, keeping my eyes on POEXYZ atm.

+20Q 273.4 dps
2450.5 w/ Hatred
Had to drop ring/ams with added phys dmg, because I needed more resist in merc.
Was more around 3400dps, which still feels very weak.

@ Lvl 70 what should my dps be at? Most players are saying 10k min. @ Lvl 70...

I'm also having trouble running Hatred and Determination at the same time.

My mana seems to be running out very quickly, using flasks and Warlords mark to keep it up.
It's not to bad when killing mobs, but when it comes to stronger bosses or rares it runs out.
Stuck with this for now, has Life/Mana Leech.

Bringer of Rain seems very expensive to me, ranging from 8-40ex... Not sure how I will ever afford that.

Thanks again, much better build then my older Rauder!
Last edited by Nanology on Mar 12, 2014, 2:19:31 PM
That swords dps is half elemental, which doesnt benefit you at all.
It's actually not really good.

10k DpS at 70 sounds fair to me.

Don't spend more than 8 Ex on BoR!
BoR is a "cheap" solution for the 6L problem, for people like me can't afford a real 6L.

Paying 40 ex for BoR would be crazily stupid, for 40 ex you get a 6L torso with good rolls!
And legacy BoR is nowhere near 5 times as good as nonlegacy (what these numbers indicate).

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
I've been using a nice AutoHotKey script, you can ctrl+c an item even in chat to see stats.
I was just paying attention to total dps...
If anyone is interested in this script, I found it on a WillyWonka youtube video!

That's what I said: Half pDpS, half eDpS. The eDpS is wasted.
Sorry, not a good sword for this build.
Yes, and thank you for pointing that out, I recently bought a cheap sword that brings me up to almost 5k damage until I hit Lvl 70 and I can buy something even better!

How can I run Hatred and Determination at the same time? Do I need to wait until Reduced Mana is lvl20?

Thanks again for the great build and feedback!
@nanology
To be able to run both hatred and determination you need the pair to be under 50% reservation when linked with reduced mana. You can see what the reduced reservation is in the aura tooltip as you have your cursor over it.

You mention that you run into mana problems now. If you use two auras your mana problems will just get worse. I can't effectively run reave on mana either as the cost and atk speed is too high so I use the blood magic gem in my link. Not ideal but better than using default attack. A 5 link would be more optimal if running BM. You can get 5 link whites for an ex and under and the you can alch/chaos it to try and get the stats you need.
"
Peterlerock wrote:
This is a "guide", not a "look at my crazy stuff" like other threads.

My main goal was to make a build that will enable me (and other players after sharing) to reach Endgame content, to tank most stuff and to do sweet DpS without "BiS gear".
You will survive almost anything(*) and have no problems killing everything with this build.

And this is why I like this build. I had a lvl 43 Marauder and I got bored of it, playing it as a 2H. Switched to this build with some crap leftovers from my stash and I got hooked. Now (lvl 54) after a few new items which are beyond of awesome, I'm near res cap and it's awesome. For fun I'm running it with Haste and Blood Rage atm. The attack speed (=life+mana leech) is insanse. Let's see how this will work out in Merciless.

I saw that you replaced Reave with Double Strike, any reason behind that?
"
Nanology wrote:

How can I run Hatred and Determination at the same time? Do I need to wait until Reduced Mana is lvl20?

2 Auras = 120%. You want that number to be 100%, therefor the reduced mana gem needs to fulfill X in 120X=100. Solve this and you get X=0,83. That's level 8 reduced mana.

If you want to use 2 auras and an occasional leapslam, you need ~lvl 10-12 on your gem.
If you want to run Reave AND 2 Auras on Mana, you're going to need lvl20 reduced mana and/or some passive nodes with "reduced mana reserved".

"
kurOsawa79 wrote:

I can't effectively run reave on mana either as the cost and atk speed is too high so I use the blood magic gem in my link. Not ideal but better than using default attack.

I do the same right now.
Usually I would run 1 aura + Reave on mana at this point, but I can't because I have no gear with manaleech (and don't want to buy some).
So I run 2 auras + Reave in a 4Link with Bloodmagic.

Still no multistrike, but I'm close to act3m where I get it as a reward.

"
daflipp wrote:

I saw that you replaced Reave with Double Strike, any reason behind that?

Lack of interesting support gems, mainly Multistrike or Faster Attacks.
Now that I have Faster Attacks (Quest reward in Act1M for the medicine chest), I finally switched to Reave.
Works kinda nicely even without Multistrike (though I miss it ^^).

Looked on poemods, saw that Local Additional Block Chance %, is 4-6, but I'm not sure how much more 'base' block chance I can get on a sheild 40-50%?

Found this running a map, any good?

36% +6%

Last edited by Nanology on Mar 13, 2014, 5:33:20 AM
That's 30+6%, the additional block chance is already in the 36% (like armor shows the affix-changed value as well).
This is the maximum Block you can find on a non-unique shield.
Maximum is Crest of Perandus with 40%.

---

"Selffound" Walkthrough Part 4: Merciless Vaal

Spoiler

Act 1 merciless didn't put up any resistance, I rushed straight through it, especially because I had max cold resist and therefor little to fear.
In Act 2 I burned through half a level of xp trying to zerg down a corrupted zone boss with a lot of chaos damage, fired in machine gun style.
I had to give up on him, this guy is nothing for low resists and negative chaos resists. ;-)

I started to use Purity of Elements instead of Determination, which left me with enough mana to constantly leap slam around. And it kind of solved the Resistances issue.

I tried to be super clever and not do the bandit quest until later on, as I'm not 100% sure where I wanna go (skillpoint, endurance or even try some frenzy stuff). Standing in the pyramid apex I noticed I need the f...ing apex to progress. Oh well, did a quick bandit killing spree and helped good old Oak... Lol.

Passive tree progression:
After some nice guy gave me a little input on min-maxing my tree, I rerouted the marauder start a bit (to get 2x 10% damage instead of 2x +10str).
I started grabbing the shieldblock in Marauder and then invested the last "highway" skillpoints to get to Ranger. From now on, every skillpoint will be life, damage, block and armor. The work is done.

I still feel nowhere near as tanky as I want to be, so I started the fun part with the 3 life nodes next to Ranger. Next step will be the block stuff there.

Current skilltree
(For those who can count: I already did the 3 statues in act 3 merciless)

Gear Progression:

Before entering the pyramid and trying to kill Vaal, I wanted to have better gear. I tried farming some iLvl60 zones, but didn't get anything I was interested in (kind of expect that).

I alched myself a couple of shields with 30% block, the third one was this:

This is not a good shield, but it has additional block, armor and some resist. Should work at the moment.

Then I opened poe.xyz.is and searched for cheap life+resist armor pieces. I found a helmet and boots for 1 chaos each, and sweet gloves for 1 fusing (I think I would have payed a little more for these):

(it is nice to get a helmet with +Int btw)
Resists solved. For the moment. I burnt through quite some jewellers, fusings and chromatics to get the links I wanted, but I had a lot of them stashed up, so no problem here.

I haven't been too lucky with currency drops so far, no "real money" (Divine, Exalted), but I should be able to buy a 5L chestpiece pretty soon (you can see my pitiful currency in the screen below).

Once you reach A3C, remember to visit the vendors every level, at least A3C, A1M, A2M, A3M, as they sometimes sell 6S items that sell for 7 jewellers orbs. Also buy the chromatic items, of course.

Current Character Screen:
Spoiler

The damage is nowhere near where I want it to be, same goes for armor, life and stuff. It is really time to buy a 5L and get my multistrike and concentrated effect gems...
Last edited by Peterlerock on Mar 13, 2014, 10:40:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info