Do you think PoE needs a "Loot 2.0" overhaul?

Here is what I would like to see:

IIR/IIQ: Why? As has been said, it is archaic, and at the end of the day harms build diversity by making people try to stack the most possibile IIR/IIQ when farming. There is a reason the 4 month leagues stopped putting IIQ on items. Get rid of it.

Drops: Increase the droprate slightly to compensate for the loss of IIR/IIQ

Crafting:

Exalted/Eternal: Keep as is. There should be an extremely expensive way to make GG rares. This looks like it has (IMO) been done well.

Jeweler/Fusing: The current issue I see is that newer players do not want to risk the loss of the 4-5 link they are using, and so have to horde hundreds to thousands of these orbs before they try to upgrade the gear they use. This causes some of them to burnout before ever crafting what they want, while playing with inferior gear.

My answer: Change crafting so that you cannot roll an item with fewer links/sockets then it already has. This removes the risk that keeps a player from trying his luck with the orbs he farmed that day. In exchange, DECREASE the odds of getting 6 sockets/links. This way you can risk all the currency you want without the risk of your current gear (and, by extension, your character) becomming useless, and yet 6-links are still something to treasure dearly.

Chromes: The issue I see comes when you have a cross-color build. A perfect example are low life melee Shav users/CI melee, or ES hybrid melee who may need RRRGGG on a blue-baised item. This costs an obscene amount of chromes, and in so doing limits build diversity even more.

My answer: Make the following vendor recipes:

500 Chromatic orbs + a red skill gem = a Red Orb
500 Chromatic orbs + a green skill gem = a Green Orb
500 Chromatic orbs + a blue skill gem = a Blue Orb
500 Chromatic orbs + 1 (or more) portal gem(s) = a White Orb

Red/Green/Blue/White Orbs are used by socketing them, like you would socket a skill gem. However, they can only be put in a socket of a different color. This consumes the orb, and changes the color of the socket you put the orb into, to match the color of the orb used.

This allows for 3 things:

1. You can make sure that you get the color sockets you need, but it will take a minimium of 500 Chromes, and possibily many more. Thus allowing more builds to be tried.

2. You can use the more expensive white orb recipe to get white sockets, this can be useful if you have a Alpha's, BoR, Shav's, or other gear that you swap from build to build, but in each build it needs slightly different color sockets... You now neither need to get another of these items, nor re-color them every time you swap characters. (this very issue has caused me to stop playing a specific character till I can get him his own set of gear.)

3. You can finally get white sockets on a Prismatic Eclipse :p

It would also make portal gems jump in cost, as who would not want a 6L-white Shav's?

Your thoughts?
Last edited by BrownKnight on Jan 25, 2014, 9:47:33 AM
No.
Why would we need loot 2.0 when we have 4 month leagues.
My best char so far https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211377
Game needs a crafting overhaul, not a loot overhaul.
The Game needs Gamers 2.0
The Game needs Forum users 2.0
The Game needs "please stick to one item QQ thread" people.
Why you should try Harcore http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/209310/page/1
"
mego950 wrote:
Game needs a crafting overhaul, not a loot overhaul.

again +1
Crafting doesn't exist in POE. Gambling does...and the house always wins.

Velocireptile - I LOL'ed. Which made me fart. I wish the office were empty right now :(

Hardlicker - I had to push the dog out of the way so I could get to the sexy quilt.
Yes, but a bit more subtle than 2.0 OVERHAUL: Capslock Edition.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
I think people are forgetting just how good crafting is in this game. You can craft very powerful items with much less rng than you realize especially when compared to how long it would take to get those same items to drop off a monster. PoE has one of the most generous crafting systems in any arpg that lets you modify nearly every aspect of an item, what more could you ask for?

You misinterpret people's request.
Obviously you can craft good items, but the part that needs deep revamping is mainly socketing/fusing, it is completely retarded.

You already have to spend time (farming) or ressources (trading) to get a good item, which most people DO accept.
But then you still have to socket/link so you can actually use you hard-earned item (it kills me when you find a unique chest/weapon that you desperately need to use, but you still have to 5-6 socket it, and 5-6 link it). It's triple punishment and makes no sense whatsoever.
Last edited by tienbasse on Jan 25, 2014, 12:54:24 PM
I don't have problem with the game mechanic for now but i don't play for a very long time.

But there is ONE thing in particular tat make me think there is a problem.

I got 2 unique i consider good: wings of entropy (loot) and alpha's howl (chanced) and consider myself quite lucky.

All the other uniques i have are low/no level and i have at least 2 or 3 times each one.

I come to the point where, when a unique drop, i say to myself "ho, a unqiue: how many do i have of this one?"

I think i would prefere looting less uniques than looting 4 times a lvl 5 bow or lvl 20 shield.

The only problem i see is that, when dropping a unique should be "Oh, nice a unqiue, even if its not a very rare and powerfull, what is it" became "oh... unique, what reroll or useless item will it be? and how much version of this one is in my bank?"

About yellow, i consider i don't have enough play time to have a correct opinion about that (loot or craft)

Nothing in PoE currently needs a complete overhaul. There are places that require extensions like pre-map gameplay, and places that need tweaking like the fusing/jeweller mechanics and map drop rates, but no system need an overhaul.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info