Mace/Shield LS Templar with Video and writeup(Written for New Players)

"
untopaa wrote:
I am trying out this build and was wondering, what Bandit Quest reward should i take in a2?

Probably the +30 permanent mana since if you're like me who found tempest shield @ about 21 its gonna reserve a huge chunk of your mana, so the permanent increase might be able to offset it a bit. Or you could kill them all to get that free passive point.
"
Cyrisus wrote:
"
untopaa wrote:
I am trying out this build and was wondering, what Bandit Quest reward should i take in a2?

Probably the +30 permanent mana since if you're like me who found tempest shield @ about 21 its gonna reserve a huge chunk of your mana, so the permanent increase might be able to offset it a bit. Or you could kill them all to get that free passive point.

I strongly disagree. One of the great strengths of this build is how tanky it is with all of the shield and defensive passives. The 40hp reward is the best option for adding to your character's ability to survive. It scales very well with the life % nodes you should have by that level and will give you more of an appreciable benefit than you could get from 1 skill point. That 40 points of HP will continue to scale with further life % nodes (which this build has plenty of) while the mana will not scale nearly as well. Low mana is easily counteracted by getting better/more mana potions throughout normal difficulty. I'd strongly argue that the 40hp is the best choice for any character that picks up an appreciable amount of life % nodes.
"
"
NeilCotts wrote:
Hey guys.
Im a lvl 24 Templar that just switched over to this build from using a 2h sweep build.

I currently have my LS connected with a +Weapon Elemental Dmg and +Lightning Dmg support gem. The problem is that this makes me go OOM really fast. What do you think I should do to combat this?

Get more +max mana/mana regen gear or just remove a support gem and let my DPS drop?

Thanks

I'd remove whichever one gives you less of a DPS boost. I'm starting to run into this issue myself, with having to choose between Wrath or Tempest shield and not being able to stick more than one support on LS because of mana.

Blood magic really is looking more and more appealing as I go higher level but don't know quite how to fit it into the build. You'd have to "waste" about 7 points on filler nodes to reach it.

Anyone have a good answer to the mana problem?

Wouldnt adding a Reduced Mana support gem fix this issues?
Thanks for the fast answers. Like Riale said i think ill go with the hp. But before i do is the all resistance reward going to be sort of wasted since the build itself offers quite a bit of resistances and the rest i imagine would come from the gear you collect.
Was about to start on a LS Templar when I saw this thread, very nice work on the build. Saw the talk about Mana issues and was wondering since you take some of the nodes to improve your ES are there 8 points of change workable in this build to pick up Eld. Battery? With a decent ES it might be possible to slip in 1-2 more auras to make up for the lost ES, or am I crazy on that thought?
I started having mana issues aswell at 39lvl
"
"
NeilCotts wrote:
Hey guys.
Im a lvl 24 Templar that just switched over to this build from using a 2h sweep build.

I currently have my LS connected with a +Weapon Elemental Dmg and +Lightning Dmg support gem. The problem is that this makes me go OOM really fast. What do you think I should do to combat this?

Get more +max mana/mana regen gear or just remove a support gem and let my DPS drop?

Thanks

I'd remove whichever one gives you less of a DPS boost. I'm starting to run into this issue myself, with having to choose between Wrath or Tempest shield and not being able to stick more than one support on LS because of mana.

Blood magic really is looking more and more appealing as I go higher level but don't know quite how to fit it into the build. You'd have to "waste" about 7 points on filler nodes to reach it.

Anyone have a good answer to the mana problem?

Not sure if this would make enough of a difference, but i moved somethings around:
Gained:
+25% Mana Spell Cost Reduction
+16% More Mana
+16% More lightening Damage

Lost
Both Dex Nodes (could rework to pick one up)
-4% Attackspeed with Maces
-20% Elemental Damage with Maces
-1% Chance to block + 12% chance to block spells

Side Note, +Physical damage with Maces evened out @ +24% with the nodes I added/lost but you don't 'waste' two points on the +attackspeed w/crit (since you can't crit), also I used the word waste sparingly.

Also since your build calls for 104 skill points, don't you have to kill all the bandits each time to get the bonus skill points to reach 104?
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbFE0ZLhmFGekdFCNNJIskqiftKMUpLjKJNuk9Dz38QDZBP0NjRHJG10w1TdhPfVBQUWBR5lRJV-JYPVhjWPVdxl6fXz9gbWaeZ71wfXFNcql35XxLfLh8u3zZfVOAVoErgW-Cm4TEi4yMdozPj0aQVZSHms-boZ2AncSePJ7FogCplayqtC-0-baGtzG53cAaxPbG2My30NDUj9V13QXd896w3sHfsuFz42rjguSt5wvnUuwZ7SDub-8O8B_yL_LO877z3fZI9zL60g==
I just started with templar, right now @lvl 20 and I'm starting to hit the mana problem all the others have had.

Should I try and get more +mana/mana regen gear or sacrifice some damage to get some reduced mana cost nodes/mana nodes?

Otherwise I really LOVE this build, tearing through everything I've faced so far :)
"
"
projarrod wrote:

What did you change here? I'm not seeing what's different than the one I updated the OP with.

He moved around 6 points which equated to...

-2% Shield Black Chance
-50% Increased Block Recovery
-10 Intelligence

+30% Increased Physical Damage with 1 Handers
+34% Increased Maximum Health
for mana issue early on get Clarity. I'm lv 32 with 251 mana. Clarity reserves 200 but with only 51 mana I can spam LS as much as i want and never run out. It's refilled almost to full by the time the animation for the next LS starts. And i currently have a support which ups my LS mana cost by 170%. Of course that means you don't have enough mana to reserve any other auras but at this level you can't really run multiple auras anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info