Mace/Shield LS Templar with Video and writeup(Written for New Players)

I took this shield mastery because i get +30% resistenc to all elements if i wear a shield. Thats too nice.
To everyone complaining about survivability/dps in endgame, you're missing two key things to make this build much much better.

1) Attack Speed - this is gained by two major ways; your weapon and your gear. Weapon IAS is crucial, you want to have a mace that is not only high in physical and elemental damage, but but a large IAS boost. A 1.7+ speed mace is ideal and makes a huge difference in both DPS and leech amount. IAS on gloves is huge too. 15% on one piece of gear is great. Rings and certain helms have IAS as well. Get them whenever possible.

2) Endurance charges. As a character with lots of strength, there's absolutely no reason not to use Enduring Cry to keep max stack of charges on you. It adds a flat amount of damage reduction and all resists and greatly helps your survivability. If you take the +1 endurance Oak gives you in mercilless, you have a total of 4 w/o passives or gear which adds up to 20% DR and 20% all res, which is significant to say the least.

Of course, beyond these two things, the answer is gear.

Having a nice 5L or 6L armor to use with lightning strike is a big leap in DPS as well.

This build is plenty viable end-game, both grouped and solo.
I've been having a blast using this build as a base model. I'm currently level 55 and have been farming the ledge in act 1 Merciless for gear and experience. I'm sitting at about 75% damage reduction from armor and decided to venture on in the quests a bit. I ran into problems during one quest where the guys use lightning strike and have been getting insta-killed. Can't even run by them. Not to worry though, I really like the challenge of this build and how fun it can be to progess after some hard work. Thanks for sharing!
Is Energy Shield viable with this general template? Instead of taking some of the health or armor nodes, I was thinking about taking more stuff up in the intelligence part of the tree--lightning damage and increased Energy Shield.

I'm just looking for diversity, because I already have a staff Templar who basically runs lots of armor and health. I was looking for something different with the mace build, but I don't really know if ES is viable for a melee toon in the end game.

Thanks for the help.
^ I'm only lvl 45 on this build and I'm already feeling like ES is pretty useless, but I guess it might be viable if you stack it. What did you end up doing?
Is this eq good enough :(( ?

I would not post cons like "low dps" if gear is shit ....
Last edited by CookieMonster86 on Jul 24, 2013, 4:58:36 PM
i have been toying around in the skill planner for some time recently trying to find out a decent build for mace shield lightning strike build ...

it is still far from being optimised but its a rough draft and even tho i didnt do any calculations i feel it is far better optimised than yours,

look it up and lmk what you think !

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBhMREcop0D1SpaAVbFE0EswJx8B8yiXflV-LsODrYTdiMdilPgpsaOKeEkFXkIhpsna6nCBVQE8xP86pSUfnsy49G0NDPZVXGFm-boWe97m8ZhSSqNunjah0UTDUoxfO--tJwfYBWT31RYMAa5K3ewVnzmG-SfeXPZ1isqift890ZLtSPud3yL-8OZ5spLny4PfxYY8bYUFCMz_ZIXz_ZYVcN-6qgtPMG0iGezacwFCBQRxiRyZimZA_MDjw6UjJ-cD4wGeeu5FEx-1HmtC9BP4FJsjhmTxRxQarxiidPRIEYsNwjP5s=

nvm its an old rough draft i used to see how it could turn out with crit and accuracy instead of a non crit build ... it still gives you the general idea of my pathing ;)

Last edited by nomis01 on Dec 11, 2013, 6:40:35 PM
here is the way im doing it non crit build

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBhMREcgVbFE0EswJx8B8yiXflV-LsODrYTdiMdilPgpsaOKeEkFXkIhpsna6nCBVQE8xP86pSUfnsy49G0NDPZVXGFm-boWe97m8kqjbp42odFEw1KMXzvvrScH2AVk99UWDAGuSt3sFZ82dYrKon7fPdGS7Uj7nd8i_vDikufLg9_FhjxthQUIzP9khfP9lhVw37qqC00iGezacwFCBQRxiRyZimZA_MOlIyflHmtC9BP0A2I020-QHnNuhyqXzZqZWiAFW1wQQS2Ro-n8vnUlRJGYU=
So is OP's build still viable? It's been a very long time since it was updated...
update please :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info