Mace/Shield LS Templar with Video and writeup(Written for New Players)

Currently lvl 48, LS 1,3k dps but it's getting little bit boring for me :D too easy (act 3 cruel).
I used this build as a starting point, and so far I have had no problems. I am level 38 now, and a little behind on getting to resolute technique, but I do enjoy how indestructible I am, and I haven't even gotten down into the marauder area yet! I came up with this full build as a modification of yours. I plan on using LS, MS, EC, wrath, determination, clarity(or whatever the reduced mp cost one is), conductivity, and currently dominating blow for my right click, but I may pick up spark or some other lightning attack. I would run my auras through reduced mana cost and have LS through lightning penetration and weapon ele dmg support gems. What do you think?
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBhMREckA2I020-Rhd8B-iABRNBLMCcTKJV-J35YFvnjxN2Ix27DgaOKeEkFXAGuStZp6plVFgcH1PfYBWBVuLjOFz7SBG113G3fO2hn1TYG21BEVHWfOsqnKpfNn3MoEr37KUh1g9nsUn7Rku1I-53fIv7w6krIwG51JUSV8_KS58uPZIjM9QUD38WGPG2FHmtC9BP97BGelxTZrPQ2O3MVj1ncQxATWAiLqdrqcIFVATzE_zqlJR-ezL8s7Mt9V1gpuPRtDQm6Fnve5v9OkzlnM_QYwdFEw144LnC96w
This is exactly the type of character i wanted to play in this game! thank you very much for the great guide!
Last edited by Spluckor on Feb 13, 2013, 2:34:54 PM
I'm currently level 67 and I have the same problem as other high level LS 1 hand Templars.

#1.) Low dps. I, and most other people in this thread, only do about 1.5k dps, maybe 2 the max. When in a group, I'm embarrassed to attack a monster by myself, because of how little life is taken from the monsters.

#2.) Low survivability. Even with max resist, this build is not too great for surviving. With the decoy totem, you can solo, but it is very tedious. A lot of kiting, totem casting, and coupled with the low dps, it makes for an extremely unpleasant solo experience. Not to mention, it's almost impossible to solo named monsters.

#3.) Mana. Currently, I do not have mana issues, because I am using a high leveled clarity, and it regens my mana enough before my LS drains it. But, if I were to place 1 more gem into the LS grouping (Faster attack, chain, doesn't matter), I would be completely mana drained. And as I read others critiques of this build, it is a very common problem when running 3 support gems or more (unless 1 is reduced mana). 4-5 support gems would guarantee the need of reduced mana, and with so many supports, it is very possible to still encounter mana issues.

I'm going to try this build a little while longer. I really need a better mace, other items such as a belt with %elemental or dmg increase would help with dps, and I really, really need a 5 link chest piece. But, I will say, this build is very clunky end game unless you have the best items to support the build which is easier said than done. Like I said, some %dmg increase on particular items, perhaps some IAS here and there may help, but it is hard to balance this with the mana woes. Overall, I think this is not as noob-friendly of a class as people may think when reviewing the passives. If anyone wants to help me, I'd be more than glad to pm you my gear and some screen shots. If you do 2.5+ dps and have 2500+ hp, 800+ ES, I would definitely be interested to see your items and hear some good advice!

Not really trying to bash the build. I'm just mentioning some of the troubles I've been experiencing, and as I've read, others as well.

Last edited by Nexus555 on Feb 13, 2013, 3:52:45 PM

Need help, I dont have dps, just around 700-800, 1000 in party with friends. My life is over 2100, too low. I have lot of armor, 5600. All resist 80%...
Last edited by Lazenby on Feb 18, 2013, 9:49:24 PM
"
Nexus555 wrote:
I'm currently level 67 and I have the same problem as other high level LS 1 hand Templars.

#1.) Low dps. I, and most other people in this thread, only do about 1.5k dps, maybe 2 the max. When in a group, I'm embarrassed to attack a monster by myself, because of how little life is taken from the monsters.

#2.) Low survivability. Even with max resist, this build is not too great for surviving. With the decoy totem, you can solo, but it is very tedious. A lot of kiting, totem casting, and coupled with the low dps, it makes for an extremely unpleasant solo experience. Not to mention, it's almost impossible to solo named monsters.

#3.) Mana. Currently, I do not have mana issues, because I am using a high leveled clarity, and it regens my mana enough before my LS drains it. But, if I were to place 1 more gem into the LS grouping (Faster attack, chain, doesn't matter), I would be completely mana drained. And as I read others critiques of this build, it is a very common problem when running 3 support gems or more (unless 1 is reduced mana). 4-5 support gems would guarantee the need of reduced mana, and with so many supports, it is very possible to still encounter mana issues.

I'm going to try this build a little while longer. I really need a better mace, other items such as a belt with %elemental or dmg increase would help with dps, and I really, really need a 5 link chest piece. But, I will say, this build is very clunky end game unless you have the best items to support the build which is easier said than done. Like I said, some %dmg increase on particular items, perhaps some IAS here and there may help, but it is hard to balance this with the mana woes. Overall, I think this is not as noob-friendly of a class as people may think when reviewing the passives. If anyone wants to help me, I'd be more than glad to pm you my gear and some screen shots. If you do 2.5+ dps and have 2500+ hp, 800+ ES, I would definitely be interested to see your items and hear some good advice!

Not really trying to bash the build. I'm just mentioning some of the troubles I've been experiencing, and as I've read, others as well.

I'm having the exact opposite problem.. I have decent dps(2.6k) and surviability(60+% res in cruel other than chaos, 2k life and 4k armor)

Manaregen is what is killing me now, cant seem to regen back enough so eventually I run out and it becomes annoying.

What it`s best stats in armor for a LS Templar ?
-element dmg
-armor
- hp ?
No no no... Depending if you want to go more for damage or more for tank.
But lets do this:

Dmg - Phys. Dmg > Hp > Armor and Resists > Elem Dmg
Tank - Hp > Armor and Resists > Block > Elem Dmg

LS gets 50% from Phys Dmg so it scales better if you increase Phys. Dmg instead of Elem. Dmg.
Yeah, I think I'll be going with something like this:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBLMFWwz3FE0WbxkuGYUZ6Ro4HRQjTSQlJKon7SjFMn4yiTOWNuk64TwtQDZBP0GMQ2NEckbXTDVN2E99UFBRYFHmVElVxlfiWGNY9VnzXz9mnme9bqpwfXFNcqlzP3flerh82YBWgW-ExIjxi4yMdozPj0aQVZrPm6GdxJ48ogCmV6eEqZWsqq6TtC-0-bcxtz653cAaxPbGrsbYz2XQ0NSP3sHhc-Nq5K3nUudj6dXsOO0g7m_vDvAf8i_yRfO-8932SPrS_c_-Cg==

So, All Hp nodes, all resists, all phys dmg, all block, and the really good elem dmg ones.

This is what makes sense for me in terms of stats. Please comment guys!
"
syspt wrote:
Yeah, I think I'll be going with something like this:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBLMFWwz3FE0WbxkuGYUZ6Ro4HRQjTSQlJKon7SjFMn4yiTOWNuk64TwtQDZBP0GMQ2NEckbXTDVN2E99UFBRYFHmVElVxlfiWGNY9VnzXz9mnme9bqpwfXFNcqlzP3flerh82YBWgW-ExIjxi4yMdozPj0aQVZrPm6GdxJ48ogCmV6eEqZWsqq6TtC-0-bcxtz653cAaxPbGrsbYz2XQ0NSP3sHhc-Nq5K3nUudj6dXsOO0g7m_vDvAf8i_yRfO-8932SPrS_c_-Cg==

So, All Hp nodes, all resists, all phys dmg, all block, and the really good elem dmg ones.

This is what makes sense for me in terms of stats. Please comment guys!

I like the looks of this. I'm level 47 and I have resolute technique and Iron Grip. I'm workong on those marauder passives atm.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info