Mace/Shield LS Templar with Video and writeup(Written for New Players)

I really like this build, but once I hit Act 3 on Normal, I hit a wall. I feel like I'm doing so little damage. Right now, without Wrath I do 155.3 DPS with Lightning Strike, and 170.6 DPS with Heavy Strike. With Wrath I do 195.4 DPS with LS and 206.9 DPS with Heavy Strike. I just hit Level 30 and I'm farming the City of Sarn until I either get some better gear or I outlevel the content.

This is my current build.

I went into Mace Damage because I was doing such little damage, and right now I'm planning on getting Resolute Technique in 2 level's time. I'd like to run Tempest Shield and Wrath, but I think that it would be really difficult to manage my mana with both auras activated.

I could definitely use an upgrade on my gear as well. My mace is really good for the level, but I will need to get an upgrade fairly soon, but I can't seem to find a good substitute.

After Resolute Technique should I build offensively or defensively?

Any advice you guys can give would be wonderful.
Last edited by SideGFX on Feb 12, 2013, 1:53:54 AM
Hi guys, i'm following this thread since the beginning and i found my build very similar to yours.
I'm lvl 57 A3 merciless atm and going pretty well; i'm very tanky but i feel that my dmg output starts to be a bit weak. I have around 1k dps on ls and 1.5 on glacial hammer, but i think that there are only few points of ele dmg and phys dmg left to take so i just started wondering about some things: first of all i was thinking about respec on resolute tecnique. I put together this endgame no RT build

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbE8wUTRVQGekaMh0UI00kiyftMok26T0PQDZBP0NjRHJG103YT31P81FgUeZR-VfiWPVmnnB9cU135Xy7gFaBb4TEi4yMdo9GkFWaz53EnjyiAKcIqZWqUqyqtC-0-bcxwBrEFcT20NDeweFz42rkrezL7SDwH_Pd-tIkqhku1I-53e8O8i9fP_ZIjM9QUFhjxtg9_Hy4KS4zlnM_z2VVxhZvZ5vXAuh983Gt8Tzvy0MOFF3G3fO2hqeEGjhZ85hvkn2BSRhdsjhmT-XPQYza3ew4KU-CmxmF

ofc it's a full 111 points, but i did it to show off my project in his integrity.
Sincerily this LS m/s templar is my first char in poe and i still don't know how some stats work.
For example in that build i tried to get as much dex and %acc as i could, to prevent missing hit problems as i removed RT, but is that a waste or, at the opposite, is that insufficent to get a decent %chence to hit? Moreover, is it worth to get that crit chance and dmg? does all those big nodes of crit chance apply to just the value of my weapon or what?Same thing for the acc% nodes is that a standard % increase value or do them affect my base value? shall i just keep RT and get some more dmg instead of crit chance and dmg?

any feedback will be very appreciated
and sorry for my bad english :)

Check out my NON CRIT PHYS SPLIT ARROW BOW GUIDE! The deeeps where you couldn't imagine!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1242996
"
SideGFX wrote:
I really like this build, but once I hit Act 3 on Normal, I hit a wall. I feel like I'm doing so little damage. Right now, without Wrath I do 155.3 DPS with Lightning Strike, and 170.6 DPS with Heavy Strike. With Wrath I do 195.4 DPS with LS and 206.9 DPS with Heavy Strike. I just hit Level 30 and I'm farming the City of Sarn until I either get some better gear or I outlevel the content.

This is my current build.

I went into Mace Damage because I was doing such little damage, and right now I'm planning on getting Resolute Technique in 2 level's time. I'd like to run Tempest Shield and Wrath, but I think that it would be really difficult to manage my mana with both auras activated.

I could definitely use an upgrade on my gear as well. My mace is really good for the level, but I will need to get an upgrade fairly soon, but I can't seem to find a good substitute.

After Resolute Technique should I build offensively or defensively?

Any advice you guys can give would be wonderful.

I followed almost the same passive path and had the same problem - low damage with low accuracy (86% I think). Resolute Technique and Skull Cracking with 2 mace nodes on the way really helped a lot. Don't know what your mace is. I'm using this right now an LS has close to 400 dps (linked with weapon elemental dmg).

I'm running with Wrath only because of mana problems. Besides gear upgrades I will now take some health and armor nodes because my survivability is kinda low late Act 3 and Cruel surely will destroy me.
IGN: SparkSkullder / LaSkullder
Resolute Technique is definitely something you should take as early as possible. Imo together with the +res/+all res nodes, as it gives you a lot of freedom in terms of gear. Can always respec out of them at end game once you got a nice set of gear. After all, you get lots of respec points for free as the game progress. Same goes for the mana related nodes, dont be afraid to take them early on if you find it useful.

For me, getting a high quality (really nice +quality bonus on these) reduced mana gem was really helpful for the auras.

Level 59 act 1 merc myself atm, gear is starting to get a bit dated, but still not had any major issues.

Fork + Melee phys dmg + Ele weapon dmg gems with LS.
Wrath + Clarity aura with reduced mana gem.
Double Strike + life on hit gem for face tanking bosses.
Shield Charge for all round speed boost, and great for getting out of trouble.

I'm very new to POE but I'm enjoying it... I'm still trying to decide what character I want to focus on perminantely.

I have a level 21 witch, 18 ranger and 10 Templar... the Templar was going to be a totem/summoner but after getting Lightning Strike it's super fun and I think i'd rather do LS :D

Wondering how viable is LS to solo your way through all the difficulties, is it very gear dependent or would I be able to survive with self found items mostly.
How about your damage at high level? I'm level 66 not a very high damage, not tanky... dont know what i am.
Hey,

which support gems do u use for Lightning Strike ?

I have a 222dmg 1H mace, supportet with Lifeleech Gem, 1 Ele Dmg Gem and 1 Phys Dmg. Gem, dealing with wrath about 2,8k Dmg but have one green linked slot left. I´ve tried a few gems yesterday, with Faster attack i boost my dmg up tp 3,5k but have mana probs. Also tryed fork but feeled no increases. Easiest way is to put Mana leech gem in, it runs ok, but now i know there is more dmg output possible.

Which second attack do u use to leech mana ?

any advices ?

thx

"

"
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMFWw_MFCAUTRiRGS4ZhRnpGjgabCNNJIskqiftMok26T0PQDZEckbXTdhPfVBHUWBXDVfiXcZmnnB9cql35Xy7fNl99YBWgW-ExIuMjHaPRpBVm6Gdrp48ns2iAKZkpwinMKeEqZWsqrT5tQS53cAaxBXE9sWKyZjQ0NIh1I_ZYdrd3sHhc-Nq5CLkre0g8B_yL_e-
"
Eichi_at wrote:
Hey,

which support gems do u use for Lightning Strike ?

I have a 222dmg 1H mace, supportet with Lifeleech Gem, 1 Ele Dmg Gem and 1 Phys Dmg. Gem, dealing with wrath about 2,8k Dmg but have one green linked slot left. I´ve tried a few gems yesterday, with Faster attack i boost my dmg up tp 3,5k but have mana probs. Also tryed fork but feeled no increases. Easiest way is to put Mana leech gem in, it runs ok, but now i know there is more dmg output possible.

Which second attack do u use to leech mana ?

any advices ?

thx

"

Well, for starters you want mana leech with LS. You currently have it with shield charge which isn't particularly good unless you are always slamming into enemies every few seconds. You should also move your "faster attack speed" gem into your gloves to at least link your tempest shield and conductivity support gem together. LS should have something along the lines of:

Increased Elemental Damage
Fork/Chain (Iron Grip would be ideal for either)
Mana Leech
Added Fire Damage (it's the best additional elemental skill to use all your passives)
The last slot is your choice - Faster Attack Speed works.

Your shield is also useless with that support gem. My suggestion would be to move Heavy Strike into your shield and get the additional melee support gem bonus. Molten Shield could go in there as well as I doubt you are getting a ton of mana leech from it.

As far as your skill tree goes, it's uniquely yours, however I question why you took 2 big dex nodes unless they are purely for gear use, as you are using RT they are not required.

For compare and contrast here is my 91 point build basically a level 80 Character. Yours is vastly different but it gives you an idea where I'm coming from.

Anyway those are just what I saw, I'm sure I missed some things or could even be completely wrong about some things. Take it as you will.
thx 4 tipps, the gems atm randomly mixed as i played yesterday a few tests what gem would give me the best mana leech

so you mean to put the mana gem into the chest whith LS, ELE Dmg, Phys Dmg, Fork. Would it leech then with molten shell too ? i thought it leeches only by attacks witch are linked with the gem ? and LS doesnt leech anything ?
Last edited by Eichi_at on Feb 13, 2013, 9:29:42 AM
"
Eichi_at wrote:
thx 4 tipps, the gems atm randomly mixed as i played yesterday a few tests what gem would give me the best mana leech

so you mean to put the mana gem into the chest whith LS, ELE Dmg, Phys Dmg, Fork. Would it leech then with molten shell too ? i thought it leeches only by attacks witch are linked with the gem ? and LS doesnt leech anything ?

LS is still a physical attack with projectiles. If you are hitting with it (and not standing back holding shift and letting the projectiles do all the damage) then you will still leech mana. Molten Shield won't get the benefit in your chest as it's not linked to anything. You always want to make sure that all of your physical attacks are linked to support gems. Even if they aren't ideal, some benefit is better then none.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info