Barrage Wonder Wanderer – how to DEMOLISH maps (1.3.X)

"
Bars wrote:
Well, you have practically no life on your gear - it would be surprising if you didn't die. Besides the obvious, getting gear with life, I can only think of two things:

True. I'll work on that.

"
Bars wrote:
- replace cold snap with summon skeletons
- get instant healing flasks

I use summon skeletons, barrage, coc, critical weakness on gloves. So I basically cast 2 barrages, 1 for skeletons, 1 for EK/cold snap. Instant healing flasks isn't a bad idea, will see what I can do.

"
Bars wrote:
edit: I could also suggest a slight respec, losing some damage in favor of life like ... but it wouldn't be that effective with the amount of life you have on your gear.

Will save this for the future once I have some improved gear. Thanks for taking a look.
You're welcome.

I didn't pay attention to the skills in your other gear, that's why I didn't notice the second barrage setup. Now that I have this information, I can suggest replacing crit weakness with enfeeble.

About cold snap - why are you using it without Voll's? Doesn't it eat up your power charges? Have you tried arc, chain, fireball, added accuracy as alternative options?

Also, if you have problems with certain bosses, try replacing EK and Cold Snap with GMP and Fireball specifically for them, I'm sure the single target damage will be greater since barrage shoots eight times with GMP.

If you're wondering why not use GMP with EK, the reason is that GMP lowers EK's damage and EK can't hit a single target with multiple projectiles so it's not the same damage increase as for, say, Fireball or another single-projectile spell.

Something else I thought of - have you tried using VP? You might like it.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 28, 2014, 8:55:40 AM
"
Bars wrote:
About cold snap - why are you using it without Voll's? Doesn't it eat up your power charges?

*I have 2 Voll's, but neither are 5 or 6L, and I can't exactly afford a 5 or 6 L Voll's. Cold Snap does consume power charges, but they're quickly replaced with PCoC gem so not really an issue, or doesn't seem to be anyway.

* edit -- 36 fuse and 18 chromes later:

"
Bars wrote:
Have you tried arc, chain, fireball, added accuracy as alternative options?

Yes, I've actually been running Lvl16 Q20 arc in place of cold snap, seems pretty effective. Fireball and Arctic Breath with LMP/GMP is kind of obnoxious on screen so I only use those on Phy Ref maps.

"
Bars wrote:
Also, if you have problems with certain bosses, try replacing EK and Cold Snap with GMP and Fireball specifically for them, I'm sure the single target damage will be greater since barrage shoots eight times with GMP.

No issues damaging/hurting bosses, I can lay down most anything with ease. When I die, it's usually instant from reflect or thorns I suspect. Despite watching closely, there always seems to be a mob off screen out of view that gets me. By then it's too late.

"
Bars wrote:
Something else I thought of - have you tried using VP? You might like it.

If I had a 5 or 6L Voll's, sure, but that just isn't an option at the moment. I have no doubt a 5/6L Voll's is better than Tabula.
Last edited by DoomCloud on Apr 28, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
he means VP as in vaal pact

anyways, you have low hp and nonexistent armor. even cwdt - IC isn't gonna do squat if you one shot yourself. and you've stacked a lot of multi too

first of all, don't use arc. that makes reflect much worse. since you have a voll's now, just use cold snap. don't use crit weakness as your only curse either. crit weakness vs reflect is basically suicide. if you're gonna use only one curse, use enfeeble

I personally use both enfeeble and crit weakness on self cast, and only use them situationally

secondly, since you have basically no evade/armor from tree, and didn't take the aura nodes to boost grace, you'd better keep 100% uptime on armor flasks. a seething hallowed staunching is core for every single life character in this game. your granites should be surgeon+armor, jades surgeon+evade. since you're relying on flasks as basically your only notable source of armor, I'd suggest 2 granites for 100% uptime on that, and save the jade for when you need even more armor

whether you drop a life flask or the quicksilver is up to you. if you lose the qs, you'll need to rely on weapon switch leap slam to get around quickly, which when you're counting on 100% flask uptime, is fairly important. your other life flask can be surgeon for a little extra regen, but another seething would be ok too

if you go with qs, aim for surgeon + anticurse

lit thorns should hurt, but not kill, even at your hp. with a voll's, the problem should solve itself though. the problem with cold snap without voll's isn't replenishing pc...it's not being able to sit on capped pc to optimize your per hit damage so you can minimize LT/CB stacks

it also helps to not shoot a LT directly, and aim at a mob without LT on to proc your spells

tree could also use some reoptimizing

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA_5MeGtIZ1tEqW7VI645tbG17rs9TNVVLm7WMNiaVGYpQQi2D-wmiLpcG9toOSF3yxKIF-RqPEZbjhJ2qcNW74xXwnaNwu3_GwFFjQ2KscFL-uudUOlj8q9A5HNwnqfPq1p19dST91QAEfl76F9iTJ1pt036HGWo_3FckPO96U7gelKdc7g6FVaw_SVEj9lb67_D8xVpIZ6DdDYd2W68s6Up9TirQ7hUgKaX3oypNg9tieT8n_EsV9krIznEABmwW

do this for starters. drop mind drinker, and saved you a point on dex in the ranger area. you've also went quite a long way to the scion area just for the 24 eva/armor. consider either dropping that path entirely and getting life/evade elsewhere, or continue on to the 30% eva node, vaal pact + berserking cluster, and the 10% life from scion life wheel

dex is the most useless base stat in the game, so if you're gonna go through that many traveling...you need to make it count for something
Last edited by testinglk on Apr 28, 2014, 5:03:48 PM
Yeah, I meant vaal pact. And testing has a good catch with the tree, I didn't pay much attention and missed it. Also, if reflect is a problem, arc will indeed make it hurt even more if you hit shocked reflect mobs.

I also forgot about CwdT - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call - Increased Duration, that combo has been mentioned so many times that I just take it for granted people know about it. Long story short, it helps to prevent reflect suicides.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Just did Promenade map and insta killed my self twice from the boss's lightning thorns. I don't have vaal pact and don't plan on getting it, as I am level 80 and it's 9 passive points away. Is there ANY way other than vaal pact to survive lightning thorns?
Loving the build so far, thank you so much.
"
Kkorb wrote:
Just did Promenade map and insta killed my self twice from the boss's lightning thorns. I don't have vaal pact and don't plan on getting it, as I am level 80 and it's 9 passive points away. Is there ANY way other than vaal pact to survive lightning thorns?
Loving the build so far, thank you so much.

the same way you fight that boss with any other build..........don't shoot the LT. pull the melee boss and the adds away from her, wait for their LT buff to run out, kill them, go back in and kill her when she's alone. she can't cast LT on herself

only very specific builds can fight into that boss's LT without any thought or tact
Hello everyone
First of all i just want to state that what I'm about to say does not criticize this build nor do I want to highjack the thread and this "WONDER ful" build. I would just like to point out some results of my testing with this build (even though it's modified).
Great respects to Bars and LeMing and their support in general !

I want to start by stating that i started from Barrage Wanderer , respect'd into Bars COC crit deviated build and ended up as a ST welder (thx to Thorien_Kell !)

My current level 89 gear is the following:
Spoiler

flasks setup:
Spoiler

and of course tree:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAAYEfgW1BfkOSBGWFSAV8BX2GYoajx4aIuoj9iQ8JP0mlSepKk0qWyzpLYMwcTWSNns6QjpYPydJO0lRSn1KyEt4TeNQQlM1VUtW-lpIWm1br13yXvpieWKsY0NnoG1sbXtuqnBScLtw1XRBd9d9dX8rf8aD24cZh3aI8Yw2j_qXBpu1naOdqqIup1y0o7VItfK748BRxKLGos3qznHQOdDu0hnTftQj1QDWitad1tHdDd2o44TnVOjW7g7veu_w8-r22vej-wn8S_yr_MX-j_66_5M=

My current important stats are: 75/ all res, 4463 Life ( 283 reserved for Lvl 11 Clarity) - 248 % incresed, 285 Mana (190 reserved) with Haste and Grace, 95/94,5 crit, 7000 EVas/ 232 ARmour
The reason why I ended up this setup is to point out that after i went ACRO/SPELL DODGE/ONDAR GUILE my survivability drastically increased. Except for THORIEL"S build, I went only IR and had huge problems with surviving EXILES (especially Torr Olgosso which would drain my health even before i would crit/leech him) and Spell bosses. The reason I didn't spec ed into full ST welder is because i went for life ( thx Bars ) while keeping my crit to 95/95. Barrage was wonderful until I realized that ST was processing crit better (AT LEAST FOR ME - no offence to anyone !)
I must mention also that i'm not debating here the old argument IR vs EVASION/ACRO/DODGE.
I'm just simply posting my thoughts. In effect i must also say that the idea that you can get 1 -shot from going EVA/DODGE/ACRO is not true ! I tested this setup on 74 MAP with 3 EXILES and had less if any Life Spikes fluctuation. You Basically get hit less often and even when you do get HARD HITTED you process crit more effective for LIFE LEECH to kick in. ALSO I macro ed the flasks to use them ALL instantaneously so i have + 3256 armour when dealing with problem-making mosnters.
Daggers are great (I didn't pay more than 15C for both daggers) because you can cap Crit very easily and you can use Whirling blades for more effective boss fights, it's also excellent for dodging/escaping difficult situations. If i had to say, Whirling blades alone is 50% an increase in survivability (by mechanics) and also great for travelling, and less mana intensive.
Clarity can also be lowered in level if i had more mana regen, although I haven't tested it lower with current mana regen.
The setup also does insane damage I think I would get more if I would find/make daggers with 60%+ spell damage and attack speed.
I use ARCTIC BREATH spell for Damage ( + freeze ground (temporal chains effect) + freeze monster) and FIREBALL. I also keep leveling ICESPEAR, Freezing Pulse and discharge for testing damage situations).
Lastly I think ENFEEBLE, as main curse cast, works incredible with damage mitigation, sometimes I think it's so OP i'm afraid they'll nerf it ...
Since I didn't mention reflect here (elemental) I just want to say EVA/ACRO/SPELL DODGE works better with me because I no longer instantly die (if not crefull) from hitting with huge damage the mobs with this mod. Early on I used to die easily from this because I would CRIT first with high dps and realize only later (after reflect 1shot) that I should have been more careful. It's the only case (except for rare hard boss fights) I've seen were life spikes hard (but not kills - 20-30% life left if i stop hitting head on)

Thx to anyone who took the time to read my thoughts here, I again state that I mean no disrepect to the people that made the original builds possible and that keep the community going ! The setup I have now is far from perfect and is not OverPowered (crit build standards apply)
And MILLION thanks ! to LeMing, Bars and Thorien_Kell for their builds ( I adore Crit build, more fun)

i just tried a build with the same idea of using a coc ek with wands.
i stoped lvling the build after~24hs so its only 82 atm, but still rocks^^
gear

switchgear

flasks

tree

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAAYEfgX5DkgRlhUgFfAV9ha_GYoajxrbHhoj9iQ8JP0mlSo4Kk0qWyzpLYMxnjIBNZI2ezpYPydJO0lRSn1KyE3jUUdVS1b6WkhabVuvXvph4mJ5YqxjQ2egbXtuqnBScLuHGYd2h9uI8Yw2jX2Nv4_6k_yXBpsmnaOdqqOKplenXKluqn-quK7Pshm1SLXywFHEos960O7SGdUA1p3W0d0N3vbjhOdU53To1usU647sGO4O7_Dz6vba96P5Y_sJ_Kv8xf6P_5M=

iam not using iron reflexes, since reflect doesnt do much dmg to me.
got 5.5k hp 2k armour and 8k eva (w/o flasks)
also tried a physical reflect map with fracture, went pretty well, but wouldnt recommend running that mod^^
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
I'm currently at 74 with this build. Right now I'm following the guide node for node and only need to complete the branch that leads to Vaal Pact and the Scion life wheel.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far... fun and flashy, a lot more engaging than any of the ranged/archer builds I've played before. Right now I'm experimenting with an EK/Glacial Cascade combo, as the AoE cones pretty much match and both spells do physical damage and benefit from Hatred. (I use Arc as the second spell in groups to avoid lag.) I have juuuust enough crit without power charges (~58%) to sustain this. The main thing holding me back right now is the DPS, which is not quite uber. I'm really lacking in +spell damage. Those wands need to be upgraded badly. I'll also never have the resources for the gear that would make this build really shine... a 6-link, Maligaro's/Rat's, etc... (unless I decide to commit to this character as my main) He is still a very fun casual alt for running, gunning and blowing stuff up arcade style...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info