Barrage Wonder Wanderer – how to DEMOLISH maps (1.3.X)

when they're in one shot range, stand at mid range and assume your barrage will kill them and fire a power siphon immediately after and hope it reaches them before your last EKs do, and just keep alternating between barrage and power siphon if you happen to not crit
Okay just a few questions sbout bars variation of skills.

1. why do you not use life leech anymore in the set up?

2. why not use chain?

3. if we do use 6L and switch in skeleton what would you make your gloves then?

4. What is wrong with using both rat's and maligaros? If we only use one would we be able to hit crit cap / be as effective? If i somehow use lightning coil or a 6Liner instead would i be able to use both?

Also if i do use maligaros would alpha's howl be a better choice?

Last edited by bowen123 on Mar 18, 2014, 6:00:40 PM
"
bowen123 wrote:

What made you think I don't use leech? I actually haven't played the CoC shadow in weeks, he's retired, but I always used leech. When I was speaking of a 6-link Voll's, I was thinking about barrage + coc + EK + leech + Cold Snap + skeletons. I never had a 6-link Voll's though, mine was 5-linked before I gave it away.

"
bowen123 wrote:

2. why not use chain?

Because it is a support gem with a 200% mana cost multiplier, needs one more link, and makes this build's main strength even better and its main weakness worse, i.e. better AOE damage, worse single-target damage.

"
bowen123 wrote:

Whatever you fancy.

"
bowen123 wrote:

4. What is wrong with using both rat's and maligaros? If we only use one would we be able to hit crit cap / be as effective? If i somehow use lightning coil or a 6Liner instead would i be able to use both?

They are both great offensive items without an ounce of life or resists on them. Since I was also using Voll's, which is another offensive unique without life or resists, I wouldn't be able to max my resists with both maligaro and rat's nest, and life would have been too low. The build would have been too offensive and glassy.

You are again looking for definitive answers in a game of balance. If someone else isn't using voll's, or just has much better rares in the other slots, he would be able to itemize differently from me.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
bowen123 wrote:

2. why not use chain?

I use level 6 clarity with some mana regen bonus on my accessories. I can sustain 6 linked chain easily.

I tried taking it off, but in my opinion it doesn't worth it. The only place when I need single target DPS is when I do piety/dominus. I swap my chain with faster attacks then.

Otherwise, chain gives you a huge clearing speed on maps. Map bosses die too quick even with chain. I kill most map bosses (73-) in few seconds. Rares just disappear in miliseconds.

Gameplay without chain looks so dull to me. Seeing mob packs explode looks good.

One more advantage is, normally without chain you need to aim monsters with the cursor. With chain, there is a big possibility mob packs around you will get destroyed too, so you don't need to turn back and shoot some more to remaining mobs.

IGN: Aristona
Aristona has a fair point. As I said: it's all about personal preference and compromise.

It's usually better to find your own answers by trying stuff.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 18, 2014, 6:05:32 PM
"
aristona37 wrote:
"
bowen123 wrote:

2. why not use chain?

I use level 6 clarity with some mana regen bonus on my accessories. I can sustain 6 linked chain easily.

I tried taking it off, but in my opinion it doesn't worth it. The only place when I need single target DPS is when I do piety/dominus. I swap my chain with faster attacks then.

Otherwise, chain gives you a huge clearing speed on maps. Map bosses die too quick even with chain. I kill most map bosses (73-) in few seconds. Rares just disappear in miliseconds.

Gameplay without chain looks so dull to me. Seeing mob packs explode looks good.

One more advantage is, normally without chain you need to aim monsters with the cursor. With chain, there is a big possibility mob packs around you will get destroyed too, so you don't need to turn back and shoot some more to remaining mobs.

How about summon skeletons? have you ever tried switching chain with summon skeletons? Wouldn't it be just as fun while having insane clearing speed + survivability?
"
Bars wrote:
"
bowen123 wrote:

What made you think I don't use leech? I actually haven't played the CoC shadow in weeks, he's retired, but I always used leech. When I was speaking of a 6-link Voll's, I was thinking about barrage + coc + EK + leech + Cold Snap + skeletons. I never had a 6-link Voll's though, mine was 5-linked before I gave it away.

"
bowen123 wrote:

2. why not use chain?

Because it is a support gem with a 200% mana cost multiplier, needs one more link, and makes this build's main strength even better and its main weakness worse, i.e. better AOE damage, worse single-target damage.

"
bowen123 wrote:

Whatever you fancy.

"
bowen123 wrote:

They are both great offensive items without an ounce of life or resists on them. Since I was also using Voll's, which is another offensive unique without life or resists, I wouldn't be able to max my resists with both maligaro and rat's nest, and life would have been too low. The build would have been too offensive and glassy.

You are again looking for definitive answers in a game of balance. If someone else isn't using voll's, or just has much better rares in the other slots, he would be able to itemize differently from me.

Sorry im just trying to understand the full extent of this build before i develop it more, otherwise I will probably hit a wall during the game.

As i understand it more, I am seeing new possibilities which results with me asking more questions and potentially one day i can help ppl with builds like you :)

I was thinking something like this barrage-coc-ek-leech-cold snap - chain or even arc (which chains) and then have skeleton on gloves. Ofc i will test both out to see which suitsmy preferences.

If you are using alpha's howl would that be a good replacement for rat's nest? If you had to pick one would you rather choose maligaros or rats to use, ofc assuming prices arent a problem?

"
bowen123 wrote:
"
aristona37 wrote:
"
bowen123 wrote:

2. why not use chain?

How about summon skeletons? have you ever tried switching chain with summon skeletons? Wouldn't it be just as fun while having insane clearing speed + survivability?

Skeletons are good at being meatshield. They tank so many things, including Devourer's skillshots. The only downside is, they lag my computer and CoC procs so much that new horde of skeletons keep spawning before previous pack spawns. If there was a 1 second delay on skeleton's spawn, it would be much better.
IGN: Aristona
"

I was thinking something like this barrage-coc-ek-leech-cold snap - chain or even arc (which chains) and then have skeleton on gloves. Ofc i will test both out to see which suitsmy preferences.

If you are using alpha's howl would that be a good replacement for rat's nest? If you had to pick one would you rather choose maligaros or rats to use, ofc assuming prices arent a problem?

Not sure what you'd be swapping out for arc here. Keep in mind that Chain is a support and is used to get more crits out of the barrage which should result in more EK's and Cold Snaps. Arc is an actual electricity spell so all it's going to do is fire off just like cold snap or EK and give you a small burst of electrical damage since this build doesn't really take advantage of that.

So given the way this is now heading, are we thinking we no longer need PCOC or is that just if we're theorizing that we're running a 6-L Vol's with the built in PCOC?

Getting closer... my shadow is at level 48 in Ambush and I'm really wanting to finish up Cruel by the end of the week so that I can start grinding a few levels out in Merc before switching over.
"
Son_of_Beldar wrote:

So given the way this is now heading, are we thinking we no longer need PCOC or is that just if we're theorizing that we're running a 6-L Vol's with the built in PCOC?

PCoC means +250% crit chance, if you factor in one additional power charge from the passive tree and the Alira quest in Merciless. I wouldn't miss that. I was writing referring to my experience running with Voll's protector.

The only stage at which you wouldn't want crit chance is if you're close to capped (95%), to achieve that, you need +850% total crit chance from passives, power charges and gear, and I don't see how you can realistically do it without Power Charges.

Granted, you can play in endgame with something like 80% crit chance, but even that would be very tough to get without PCoC.

Rat's Nest and Maligaro's are optional, but the two of them combined give less than half the crit chance you'd get from Power Charges.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 19, 2014, 4:57:13 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info