Barrage Wonder Wanderer – how to DEMOLISH maps (1.3.X)

I did some changes to the build in order to make it friendly with The Blood Dance, and it's one hell of a power trip.

9k base armor, 30k armor when I pop jade+granite and 6% life regen per second from blood dance at lv62

Auras: clarity on life, determination, grace

Permanent 6 frenzy charges, 3 endurance charges, 5 power charges (helped alira for power charge)

Every frenzy charge grants 4% evade which converts into armor because of the ranger frenzy charge passive node and iron reflexes

frenzy coc enduring cry + molten shell
barrage coc summon skeletons for extra omf
barrage coc ek chain power charge on crit

The gear cost me around 20c so far, which is great because I am poor
Last edited by Kangaroosteak on Mar 18, 2014, 1:43:54 PM
Looks very interesting. I also experimented with frenzy for a while and decided I didn't like having to constantly think about keeping frenzy charges up, generating them and so on. Just felt like too much work.

I prefer 1-2 button builds :)

If you don't mind having to constantly juggle between the frenzy charges / summon skeletons attack / main attack, it looks good.

p.s. I forgot your boots have an in-built frenzy charge generator, so it wouldn't actually be that much work
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 18, 2014, 1:22:48 PM
snipped because he mentions it in post above
Last edited by Kangaroosteak on Mar 18, 2014, 1:44:37 PM
Yeah, I forgot about that. On the other hand, the boots also nerf the frenzy charges, so you'll mostly get HP regen and movement speed. You won't really feel the armor difference, armor in this build comes mostly from grace and from jade/granite surgeon's flasks. Still looks cool, though.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:
Everyone is sharing their experience. I'm speaking about Voll's because I used it and I liked it a lot, someone else likes Lightning Coil, fair enough. A good rare chest could have great life/resist/armor/evasion rolls.

To answer, yet again, your question about survivability with Voll's: if you have it at least as a 5-link, you can use Cold Snap, you will freeze almost everything, your damage intake will decrease drastically. If you have a 6-link Voll's and add summon skeletons, it will become almost broken - you'll very, very rarely get hit. I'd call that good survivability. Even bosses you can't permafreeze will be chilled, combine that with enfeeble or temporal chains and a bunch of skeletons in his face and only some heavy casters can pose any threat because they'll AOE the skellies fast and be able to switch targets to you more often.

It comes at the price of next to no stats on the chest and halved mana.

This isn't chess, there are no definitive answers. RPGs are a balancing act. You pick something you want, you make a compromise with something else.

Great, this is a really good answer. TBH i was thinking about following disable's quill rain build until i read your reviews which helped me decide to start this build :)

All in all, you really seem to know your stuff in regards to builds and thanks for all the quick replies :)

Im leveling my shadow up right now and will probably switch to coc around 60-70.

I will definately try out voll's with skeleton and cold snap, as it seems like a good idea.

How much do one go for now in standard? :P

"
jwstyle wrote:
is this build possible with MF gear ? I mean at least 150 rarity

yeah, just use all yellows. mine had 110 on cull and doesn't even run purity. with the standard clarity on life setup, you should have no problem stacking a bit of mf

the problem is though, in solo, you're never culling anything that isn't a uni...and even then you'll miss the cull a good bit of the time cuz your damage fluctuates so much and is so bursty. that said, you only need 2l to cull with wands, cuz power siphon. so why not. a wand with stormsail on switch would be optimal

"
bowen123 wrote:
So after loooking over a bunch of posts about gear / survivability / and dps for end game.... There are just too many different possible variants to have a definitive answer.

And talking about the eb/aa/mom variant, how would the build change from that and which gears would suit this hybrid? anyone have insight on this variant?

So right now its down between 6L volls, 6L lightning coil, and just a normal high ar/ev 6L with life and resistences for this build.... would we have enough survivability with volls, or not enough where we need to use LC. Or would we have best of both worlds with a good 6Liner?

Sorry if you guys have to repeat yourselves over the same question, i just havent got enough clarification as everyone is saying different things.

I theorycrafted an eb/aa/mom idea when I tried to come up with an hc viable version. bars also had the same idea

this was my concept...though I personally don't think it's good enough anymore. 75 res was never enough, and with the new vaal stuff...even 88 seems shaky, and is the highest this concept can achieve with flasks, since it runs 3 core auras and can't easily swap to purity of x for 4-5 more max res. was also based on pre 1.1.1 leech changes

massive wall warning
"
BoswerLK wrote:
reposting as I realized this is probably the more appropriate thread for it.....

...if anyone has a few hundred ex and a high witch or ranger lying around, I came up with a barrage coc wander concept based on AA+MoM being ridiculous which should be hc viable. downside, of course, is have fun gearing this...........

bandits - life, phys damage, power

core unis:
6l cloak of defiance - GGGGRB
rathpith globe

core links:
barrage - coc - EK - q LL - pcoc/fireball(or spell of choice) - q chain(main gem, aoe, antireflect)/q add acc(single target boss swap)/faster projectiles(offscreening swap)
lv.1 cwdt - ic - ec - +dura
reduced mana - disc - clar - hatred
AA in wand
enfeeble/crit weakness
frenzy (charges, but also for pulling)

other gear:
ideal wand - imbued with
pre: +2 cold, 70+ spell damage, +mana
suf: +38 crit chance(core), ias, projectile speed
everything else - hybrid es rares with any combo of life, mana/es, mana regen, res, acc
rings - diamond base
ammy - crit chance, multi too if you're feeling brave
belt- rustic base, strength

choices to consider:
gift's from above
rat's nest
frenzy - 20/20 pcoc - fast attack (do not attempt until near perfect gear, huge dps/leech loss without near cap crit rate and 20/20 pcoc)
power siphon - IIR (cuz why not)
spell totem - skel - fast cast - blind (cuz blind is op)

DO NOT:
maligaro - suicide item

wands that aren't 1.5 aps base - barrage is an extremely slow attack, and your ias is shit. you know all those people who QQ about dom being impossible with melee cuz they blindly follow endgame build guides and use multistrike with 1 aps base? yeah, don't be like them

underestimate acc - because evasion also gives a chance to evade crits, and you are completely reliant on crits to attack at all, acc must be overstacked, just like crit chance. otherwise, your dps/leech is gonna take a huge hit in high maps and against bosses, where you will need it the most

arc as second spell - arc sucks ass and isn't shocking anything worthwhile, and will do nothing but you get killed by reflect on easy maps

this is, of course, a massive theorycraft, cuz who can really afford all this shit...but of course, the same can be said about aegis builds. but thoughts on the concept would be appreciated

"
bowen123 wrote:
"
Bars wrote:
Everyone is sharing their experience. I'm speaking about Voll's because I used it and I liked it a lot, someone else likes Lightning Coil, fair enough. A good rare chest could have great life/resist/armor/evasion rolls.

To answer, yet again, your question about survivability with Voll's: if you have it at least as a 5-link, you can use Cold Snap, you will freeze almost everything, your damage intake will decrease drastically. If you have a 6-link Voll's and add summon skeletons, it will become almost broken - you'll very, very rarely get hit. I'd call that good survivability. Even bosses you can't permafreeze will be chilled, combine that with enfeeble or temporal chains and a bunch of skeletons in his face and only some heavy casters can pose any threat because they'll AOE the skellies fast and be able to switch targets to you more often.

It comes at the price of next to no stats on the chest and halved mana.

This isn't chess, there are no definitive answers. RPGs are a balancing act. You pick something you want, you make a compromise with something else.

Great, this is a really good answer. TBH i was thinking about following disable's quill rain build until i read your reviews which helped me decide to start this build :)

All in all, you really seem to know your stuff in regards to builds and thanks for all the quick replies :)

Im leveling my shadow up right now and will probably switch to coc around 60-70.

I will definately try out voll's with skeleton and cold snap, as it seems like a good idea.

How much do one go for now in standard? :P

could probably buy a voll's with scroll fragments...it's one of those worthless unis that drops like candy =P
Last edited by BoswerLK on Mar 18, 2014, 1:48:10 PM
Check in poe.xyz.is. The 6-linked were something like 35-40 ex, last that I was interested. The 5-linked were about 3-4 ex.

About me knowing my stuff: I must clarify something - I started playing in the beginning of January and my highest-level character is 81. I don't actually play the game that much and I hate grinding. The theorycrafting is what really interests me and I spend a lot of time researching, reading and thinking about the game. So, don't take my opinions as some kind of absolute truth. Disable's passive tree is fine and the only thing that, IMO, is bad with his build is basing it on Quill Rain. If he used a good Harbinger bow or Windripper, it would be much better.

p.s. and I must also admit that his spelling makes my eyes bleed

Last edited by Bars on Mar 18, 2014, 1:53:53 PM
"
BoswerLK wrote:
"
jwstyle wrote:

yeah, just use all yellows. mine had 110 on cull and doesn't even run purity. with the standard clarity on life setup, you should have no problem stacking a bit of mf

the problem is though, in solo, you're never culling anything that isn't a uni...and even then you'll miss the cull a good bit of the time cuz your damage fluctuates so much and is so bursty. that said, you only need 2l to cull with wands, cuz power siphon. so why not. a wand with stormsail on switch would be optimal

I don't get it, why would you need culling at all ?
"
jwstyle wrote:
"
BoswerLK wrote:
"
jwstyle wrote:

I don't get it, why would you need culling at all ?

iir gem
culling with this build is a bit unreliable because the damage is bursty, I tried to do it for a while and stopped bothering at some point :/

@jwstyle: you put a culling strike - increased item rarity - any random spell combo in your switch weapon and, when a boss is below 10%, you switch to that weapon and hit the boss with the culling spell for improved item rarity.

It's nice in theory, but bosses have the unfortunate habit of dying before you can leave them at below 10%.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 18, 2014, 1:56:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info