Barrage Wonder Wanderer – how to DEMOLISH maps (1.3.X)

Few words from my personal experience/preferences as a solo map player:
1. This build on level 60 is just not really strong but do not give up! On level 70 is MUCH better. On level 80 is amazingly good.
2. About gems:
Barrage + CoC + life leech + EK is the base. Nothing more to say.

Power charges: With this build 5 power charges are important. It is +250% crit hance so with 10% crit weapons it is flat +25% crit chance. This is huge because we can cap crit chance and have more fluent damage and life leech. Without power charges you have to invest many points in +15crit chance to achieve 70-75% crit. It is doable and I was playing many maps like this. Better option is to use power charge on crit gem (need +1 link in armour) or Volls (hard to get many green sockets on it) or another attack in 4 link with power on crit gem (I’m too lazy for that)

Chain: It lower single target damage but buff a lot aoe. If monsters are on your both side 1 attack can chain a lot and kill them all. Also map bosses are dead in seconds even with chain. Rare mobs are surrounded by minions so chain helps kill them faster. From my experience chain improves map clear speed a lot. But you need +1 link in main attack.

Summon Skeletons: They are funny and can help with survi but I need distraction only with boss fighting and skele totem is old good replacement for this.

Cold Snap: Cool skill but work only with Vools.

3. Armours and links. I list from the best option:

6L Volls (4 offcolor!!!!)
Barrage + CoC + life leech + EK + chain + cold snap
Best offence idea good defence. Free power charges + additional freezing spell. Low mana.

6L Lighting coil (not hard to have 4green 1blue 1red)
Barrage + CoC + life leech + EK + chain + power charge on crit
Good defense from physical damage reduction, power charges up. Some + life but res capping is hard. This is what I have so must be good :)

6L rare evasion armour
Good because + life + ress +high evasion = armour

5L Volls
(3 offcolors)
barrage-coc-EK-leech-Cold Snap

(4 from 5 offcolors!!!!! so almost impossible)
Barrage + CoC + life leech + EK + chain
Free power charges, low mana

6L tabula
Good offence but no +life +ress +armour

5L rare evasion armour
Barrage + CoC + life leech + EK + chain
Good + life + ress +high evasion = armour but need to change passive tree to have more crit chance.
Barrage + CoC + life leech + EK +chain + power charge on crit
Lower clear speed but good life and res.
ing: Storm_Gaze
Last edited by LeMing on Mar 19, 2014, 5:30:46 AM
You don't write often, but when you do, it's quality stuff :)

Just to add about the 5-link Voll's setup: I never mentioned that Chain is a green gem, which makes chroming the Voll's next to impossible, so that's an important reason not to use it with that chest piece. Also, being able to use Cold Snap is unique to Voll's, so you should better take advantage of it. That's why I always suggested a 5-link GGGBR setup for that armor with barrage-coc-EK-leech-Cold Snap.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 19, 2014, 5:21:25 AM
"
Bars wrote:
"
Son_of_Beldar wrote:

So given the way this is now heading, are we thinking we no longer need PCOC or is that just if we're theorizing that we're running a 6-L Vol's with the built in PCOC?

PCoC means +250% crit chance, if you factor in one additional power charge from the passive tree and the Alira quest in Merciless. I wouldn't miss that. I was writing referring to my experience running with Voll's protector.

The only stage at which you wouldn't want crit chance is if you're close to capped (95%), to achieve that, you need +850% total crit chance from passives, power charges and gear, and I don't see how you can realistically do it without Power Charges.

Granted, you can play in endgame with something like 80% crit chance, but even that would be very tough to get without PCoC.

Rat's Nest and Maligaro's are optional, but the two of them combined give less than half the crit chance you'd get from Power Charges.

Many thanks to you Bars for answering all the questions. I sold almost all my time for a baby so that why I write so little.
I agree with you 100% about Power Charges. With use few points we have +25% to crit chance. It is huge and save so many skill points for life.
I really like maligaros and nest. The helm is so good (70% crit chance, 15% AS, cool evasion and 10% movement speed is so important), the glows adds crit multi which is very important. EK have only 5% crit chance but with all this crit chance increase and power charges we have good crit chance with EK. Also with chain critical hit is spread for other monsters. I even replace amulet from crit chance to crit multi for that.
You're more than welcome, your guide is what started me on the path to the most enjoyable build I've played :) I, on the other hand, am pretty bored with the game and find talking about it to be more interesting than grinding, and I work on a computer, so writing in this thread has been fun.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Bars wrote:

Just to add about the 5-link Voll's setup: I never mentioned that Chain is a green gem, which makes chroming the Voll's next to impossible, so that's an important reason not to use it with that chest piece. Also, being able to use Cold Snap is unique to Voll's, so you should better take advantage of it. That's why I always suggested a 5-link GGGBR setup for that armor with barrage-coc-EK-leech-Cold Snap.

100% wright. I will edit my post
Off topic:
I’m bored too. This is one of the best games I’ve played but it need something new and challenging. I would really love to be killed by Azari from new patch but to find fragments I need to spent 10 hours of mindless grinding Sarn without any certainty that the midnight will drop. This is not fun GGG!!!
All ARPGs are like that. They are essentially a grind. Once I get some experience and the game starts to "click", I get bored because I see no point in grinding just to make my character even stronger when he's facerolling content anyway. PoE kept my interest longer than any other ARPG I've played, so... It's normal. Nature of the beast and all that.

p.s. if you want real challenge, PvP games are for that. DotA bored me after 8 years of fanatical playing. A PvE game is a short-term pleasure, nothing more.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 19, 2014, 5:48:02 AM
"
Bars wrote:
All ARPGs are like that. They are essentially a grind. Once I get some experience and the game starts to "click", I get bored because I see no point in grinding just to make my character even stronger when he's facerolling content anyway. PoE kept my interest longer than any other ARPG I've played, so... It's normal. Nature of the beast and all that.

p.s. if you want real challenge, PvP games are for that. DotA bored me after 8 years of fanatical playing. A PvE game is a short-term pleasure, nothing more.

well maybe the upcoming cut throad league test weekend will be giving us a new type of gameplay experience in poe. seems really interesting.
great im finally begining to understand the build more :) Thanks to Bars and Leming :)

I just started ambush with this char and just bought a 5L volls and a 10% crit wand

Currently lvl 30 still leveling

However, im interested in a few alternatives.

Since i am going to be using voll's it seems like i would not be able to use maligaros + rat's nest.

Would it be better to sway rat's for ALPHA'S HOWL??

Or is it better to swap maligaros for another glove, and if so which glove (i couldnt think of any)?

I have never played crit or coc builds EVER before, so i have no experience with this hence ALL the questions, which i apologize for asking these simple stupid ones :P

"
bowen123 wrote:

I just started ambush with this char and just bought a 5L volls and a 10% crit wand

Currently lvl 30 still leveling

Wow, impressive. That must have cost about 3 exalts. How did you manage to farm for a 5-link Voll's and a wand so quickly? I can see this is your first Ambush character. Would love some farming tips, I never seem to be able to do it so effectively.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 19, 2014, 3:43:33 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info