0.10.0 patch notes, balance explanations and how microtransactions work

YEA.. NO PAY TO WIN
hope they have good skins in cosmetic purchases
"
Akeche wrote:
My only concern is the vagueness of this: You can reclaim effects (putting them back in your microtransaction stash) using the purchasable "Recover Cosmetic Effect" item which is also stored in your microtransaction stash.

While I'm disappointed that you, seemingly, don't get a reusable skin/glowy item. I'm curious whether THIS item is reusable or if it is consumed.

If it's consumed... Eeehh....

It's not reusable because then the prices would have to be ten times higher. We decided to price everything cheaply so that they're accessible to more people. This means that you can either buy multiples for different items, or pay a small fee to reclaim it to put on another item.

"
EvilParfait wrote:
Wait, what? Why would you ever have things that are only purchasable for money but not for points? That doesn't make a lot of sense, especially since all the people who have already invested in the game (some a lot) would have to then pay MORE if you decide to do a pack like that.

I might need to make the explanation more clear, but when I wrote "In the Open Beta, we'll be selling microtransactions for points (rather than real money) so that you can spend your existing points without being forced to pay more." I was getting at what you're saying - you don't need to spend any more money to buy the microtransactions.

If you have a lot of points, like you do, there are only three things that you would need to use money to buy:
a) T-shirts and other physical merchandise that have an immediate up front cost for us.
b) Expensive custom uniques, custom monsters, etc.
c) Special limited edition packs like the Closed Beta ones, which we don't intend to sell often but are reserving the ability to sell occasionally as promotions.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
It's not reusable because then the prices would have to be ten times higher.

So then add a reuseable version in the shop for 10x the price of the normal one.
Chris, does this mean there won't be Open Beta packs available until a later date?
"
Critical multiplier mods on weapons are now global, not local, so that if you have it on one weapon, it'll affect all skills, not just attacks with that weapon. This means that they are no longer multiplicative with the rest of your critical multiplier values.

So how will crit work now?
Does that make the base crit of the weapon the multiplier and the added mod crit additive? If the whole of the weapon crit is additive then what does the passive multipliers actually multiply off?
SO MUCH TO TEST WITH SO LITTLE TIME!
"
Xendran wrote:
"

So then add a reuseable version in the shop for 10x the price of the normal one.

^This x100

Especially in a game like this, having a reusable cosmetic would be worth paying the extra money for, as (especially in the early game) gear is replaced at a fairly fast rate as you find new and better pieces for your build.

Having low cost one-time effects and higher cost permanent effects would be the best of both worlds.
can we get the skilltree early?
"
Xendran wrote:
"

That's indeed a possibility. We'll definitely be massively increasing the range of stuff we sell and looking into options like the one you mention.

"
Drakx wrote:
Chris, does this mean there won't be Open Beta packs available until a later date?

We were strongly considering "Open Beta Packs" that were just like the kiwi ones, but we came to two conclusions:
a) Not everyone wants physical swag, and it sure costs a lot of money and time to make and post that out.
b) It isn't fair to make existing customers who have a lot of points feel that they have to buy more packs when they should instead be able to spend their current points they've bought.

We will probably add some specific special packs at some point, but for now all the microtransaction items are purchasable with points.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
you guys are doin an excellent job...Cheers!
"
Xendran wrote:

Unfortunately, I agree with this line of thinking. Part of my concern is that items are sooo transient in an ARPG. I worry that I won't be able to commit to any specific alteration (excepting spell effects, since I can depend on those being useful) since I worry about the next drop that is always right down the road.

I understand your decision . Just, from my perspective, I have a great deal of difficulty committing to cosmetic purchases in many games as it is. I really want to support you all and keep supporting you. The current implementation heightens the potential for immediately regrettable decisions, however.

Last edited by Britannicus on Jan 22, 2013, 9:46:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info