New Forum Policy: No Hateful Posts

I also approve of this message.
>> Allow Home and End keys to quickly travel through the Stash!!!
To the 1% children out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

This applies to most gamers, specifically in competitive games.

There is always going to be someone better skilled than you, get over yourself.
Good to hear.

I always like to mention TeamLiquid.net as a shining example how strict modding can keep the quality of forum even when under the weight of countless users.

Their 10 forum commandments are well worth the read and I would say some should be implemented here as well:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=17883

Just start banning people, relentlessly and mercilessly. In the end, this will show results.
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
Slightly out of context, but mostly fitting to this situation.

"
1) Culture always builds on the past.

2) The past always tries to control the future.

3) Our future is becoming less free.

4) To build free societies you must limit the control of the past.

This is a quote from RIP a Remix Manifesto. Even that is about copyright, it can be applied to a wide array of other situations. After all, this is how people are.

Leaving me with the question: will banning or silencing people really solve this, or just limit the freedom we users have?
I am a nice guy.
Looking for cheap builds/builds for beginners? Check out one of my guides! /806789
"
karakay wrote:
Censorship is never good....
I agree with GGG about the toxicity of our community in some situations.
I hope the team will not use the new rules to control the forums. I'll get very suspicious if i'll see less "fix desync" , "nerf x" and "fix RNG" threads.

That depends really. For all the ones JUST saying "fix desync", I'd be more than happy to see them gone. There is a line between providing feedback and beating a dead horse. In these cases, that line was crossed a LONG time ago. We know desync is a problem. They know desync is a problem. They've acknowledged it, taken some steps to try to fix it, promised to continue improving where they can, and explained why they HAVEN'T done more. Making 87463289756234987 topics every day complaining about it and posting even more remarks about it in every other thread on the forums regardless of if it's related or not won't make them fix it any faster or help in any other way. It's time those comments are treated as spam because that is all they are at this point.

Now if someone can make a post giving a reasonable, practical solution for how to actually FIX it that hasn't already been made hundreds of times and doesn't involve completely rewriting the game from scratch or doing something that they've already said won't work or that they don't want to do because the solution would be worse than the problem, then by all means it should be allowed to stay. But the chances of this actually happening are pretty small.
Good. That's one way to approach it and I approve. Another one at a different forum I used to visit was the "No Holds Bar and Grill" where all the rage threads got moved to and where people could rant all they wanted. Enter at your own risk and after a one-time confirmation that you are 18+. It was fun to watch how fast that anger usually evaporated without the full general audience.
Anyway, could there also please be something done about the spam in "General"? Like, if you post another thread on a topic that already has two on the first page, your thread will get locked/deleted without a warning. Same with threads obviously belonging e.g. in Suggestions or Tech Support. Maybe something like if your threads get moved three times, there will be consequences.
And please, could we have the "search" field more obvious and search itself further improved? While it's conveniently located next to the new thread button, I think it would really help to have [search] in a brighter colour.
Maybe you can curb some of the utter rendundancy that way.

Keep up the great work <3
"

Leaving me with the question: will banning or silencing people really solve this, or just limit the freedom we users have?

The level of discourse in such posts is so poor that they don't add anything of value. Stuff like "What kind of idiot are you? My dog can play better than you rofl go uninstall noob I hope you get cancer and die also Chris is Hitler GGG sucks ronpaul2012" was showing up a bit more often than many would consider reasonable.
IGN: SplitEpimorphism
I support you completely in this decision, GGG. Vitriolic posters are simply immature children who take lack of punishment as carte blanche to spread their nonsense. The only way to deal with them is to treat them like the petulant children they are and force them to either learn how to express themselves like adults, or to stop posting and go away. This was a necessary step that will hopefully bring a lot of positive changes.
Great change about time GGG
"
Chris wrote:
[...]

On that topic, developers have feelings too. I care about the health of my team, and that includes their mental health. Some threads recently have honestly been incredibly hurtful and horrible to read. I have a thick skin, but I will not tolerate the forum causing my developers to feel upset about the reaction to the hard work they're putting in. They love constructive feedback on their work and really like hearing the good and bad points that you've seen in it.

[...]

This sounds reasonable.
I hope no one had a break-down.

I hope that these changes will make your team more comfortable with reading the forum to find suggestions or feedback. Maybe we will be able to see more Dev interaction on the forum again compared to Reddit. :P
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Dec 2, 2013, 5:21:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info