1.0.1 Patch Notes

This thread houses some of the most retarded things I've ever read. And I read Youtube comments.

Was it a mistake to nerf CwDT? -No
Was it a mistake to nerf it this much all at once? -Yes
Was CwDT ridiculously overpowered? -Yes

Bottomline is: A passive spell with which you can disregard any defensive passive node there is, because you have a 100% uptime of a ridiculous amount of defense is just OP. Anyone who doesn't see this needs to reevaluate their point of view.

Granted, changing this so abruptly was a mistake. If GGG takes anything from this patch it should be that they need to introduce these changes much much more smoothly.

A much more gentle way to approach this would have been to do the same thing with the level requirement, BUT change the amount of damage taken to a much lower value. Then from patch to patch up the amount of damage taken slowly bit by bit until the gem is there were you want it to be.

The thing you are doing right now is swinging a pendulum. You introduce a huge nerf, then because millions of ppl are whining how their 15 hours invested lvl 70 char is now completly useless(actually proves the point that this gem was OP) you buff it next patch only to realize that it's too OP again and then nerf it again.

Blizzard makes this very mistake of a pendulum swinging nerf and buff system over 4 years by now. Don't make the same one. Don't be a blizzard *gg*

Anyways these are my two cents here
"
da_neo wrote:
This thread houses some of the most retarded things I've ever read. And I read Youtube comments.

Bottomline is: A passive spell with which you can disregard any defensive passive node there is, because you have a 100% uptime of a ridiculous amount of defense is just OP. Anyone who doesn't see this needs to reevaluate their point of view.

Granted, changing this so abruptly was a mistake. If GGG takes anything from this patch it should be that they need to introduce these changes much much more smoothly.

A much more gentle way to approach this would have been to do the same thing with the level requirement, BUT change the amount of damage taken to a much lower value. Then from patch to patch up the amount of damage taken slowly bit by bit until the gem is there were you want it to be.

The thing you are doing right now is swinging a pendulum. You introduce a huge nerf, then because millions of ppl are whining how their 15 hours invested lvl 70 char is now completly useless(actually proves the point that this gem was OP) you buff it next patch only to realize that it's too OP again and then nerf it again.

Blizzard makes this very mistake of a pendulum swinging nerf and buff system over 4 years by now. Don't make the same one. Don't be a blizzard *gg*

Very well said. Go you. I agree with this a lot. As someone who does not have that much time to play this game, leveling to 60 with a build fairly reliant on CwDT and logging on to find nothing really works anymore was a very sad thing to see.
IGN: Shoemaking (Warbands)
"
Klowdy wrote:
"
gordonfreema wrote:
"
Zaximus704 wrote:
Lost the will to play. Who knows what gets nerfed next? Why try new things when everyone will whine about being OP and nerf will be incoming? Obviously we have to make casters.

The gem needs fixed to where it's pre-mitigation damage. At least tanks with a lot of defenses who do less damage could get use out of it.

I can't believe you people can't realize how stupidly broken that gem was, you were casting several spells for FREE, it is almost like if you were cheating. Now it has a fair cost/benefit ratio, deal with it.

Thank you, at least a few people here get it. I just assume the people who wanted the gem to stay the same were children with no sportsmanship who want to steamroll games for whatever reason.

My problem is that they "tested" the gem. Even put it in a video and released it. Then weeks later ruined it. That is awful game management. If they hadn't of released it people would have never built around it.
"
Jakabov wrote:
You really need to address how absolutely horrible the facilities for manual casting of utility spells are if you want to take away the thing that fixed that problem. CwDT is universally loved not because it's a bit overpowered but because it takes away the unbearable burden it was to constantly cast curses, Enduring Cry, Molten Shell etc., especially on characters without faster cast gear/passives.

People were finally enthusiastic about the long-suffering melee gameplay and then you choose to nerf this in a way that completely negates most of its purpose. It should be possible to nerf it in a way that doesn't feel like you finally got a splint on your broken limb only to promptly have it forcefully ripped off again.

CwDT's ability to automate your curse and Molten Shell does not enable some new, previously unavailable power, it just made it bearable where it previously wasn't. Molten Shell has always been available but most ignored it because it's *too fucking irritating to use manually.* The power to spam it was already there, it was just so annoying that people chose not to.

CwDT does not override cooldowns or make skills more powerful, it just relieved a burden so heavy that it previously made most players opt out. Surely nobody can claim that curses and MS are inherently overpowered and should not be usable often -- they always were. CwDT doesn't allow you to do something you couldn't do before, it just removes a problem so big that people solved it by refraining from using some of their skills.

Wouldn't it have been better to, say, implement an internal cooldown for each individual spell linked to CwDT and applying part of their mana cost when triggered? Surely the problem isn't that level 20 MS is too powerful or that the game is too easy when mobs are consistently affected by your curse of choice. If that were the case, people would be using MS and Hex Master in every build.

If you insist on restoring the excessive chore of manually casting several utility spells, you should acknowledge that it *was* too much of a chore before and alleviate the burden somewhat. Perhaps make it so casting a non-damage spell doesn't take a full second for builds in the bottom half of the skill tree. Maybe make it so a higher-level curse doesn't cost like 70 mana, an amount that many builds don't even have available now that auras reserve so much mana that just two of them will take upwards of 90% of your total even when linked to Reduced Mana.

Enduring Cry, paradoxically the one utility skill that wasn't unreasonably steep and cumbersome to use before CwDT, is the only one largely unaffected since its usefulness isn't completely hosed by having to use a low-level gem because using a high-level CwDT is basically out of the question as it tragicomically remains the one skill gem in the game that gets worse as you level it up. The skill that remains useful with CwDT is the one skill that didn't need automation.

Please find a different way to accomplish what CwDT did. It made the game so much better.

Signed!!!
"
da_neo wrote:

This isn't a game where something can be "OP". Everyone loved the gem, and it didn't put ANYONE at a disadvantage, as it is easily obtainable. This change made my 2 friends quit the game cause their damage was based on projectile/crit weakness curses and it almost halfed their dps.
http://i.imgur.com/8fqgfAh.png
i was rly angry when i read the patch note, was waiting a bit nervous to try playing it was sure that all my build became useless. But... i checked it lvled endurance cry to lvl 5 making it requiring lvl 31 same as lvl 1 CODT, even with max block rate and 60% spell block rate its not hard to get hit by 440 ... it has 4 sec cooldown so it still rly works... i use another CODT lvled up highly to use it with molten shell and immortal call. It works fine, so dont cry that much guys... it only sux that i had to find new lvl 1 gems to support it.. .
IGN: Psycomethabuckdown / Psycomethaviolent
Last edited by Panicz on Nov 14, 2013, 2:55:14 AM
I agree to the fact that I for one want to feel I progressed and feel more OP over time, otherwise whats the point?! I also understand balance in ladder based leagues but isnt the point of this game to find builds that work no matter the route you take? I mean common i did not sign up for perma butt sex. OP or not, the fix was just bad and supperficial.
Sometimes looking for trouble gets trouble to look for you.
"
uzurper wrote:
I agree to the fact that I for one want to feel I progressed and feel more OP over time, otherwise whats the point?! I also understand balance in ladder based leagues but isnt the point of this game to find builds that work no matter the route you take? I mean common i did not sign up for perma butt sex. OP or not, the fix was just bad and supperficial.

Exctly, something is working well GGG's solution ? Make it worse !
"Zazan":
*Cast On Damage Taken: The level requirement of gems augmented by Cast on Damage Taken may not exceed the level requirement of the Cast on Damage Taken gem.
*Fixed a bug where people logged in to play
I don't really see a problem with the changes to the CwDT gem.

I've levelled it to 9, and I'm happy with how it is. I downgraded my gems accordingly from level 18, and it works the exact same way as before.

Sure I take a little higher spike of damage now and then, but at level 78, with okay gear, taking around 900 damage to proc 3 skills I don't have to press seems a fair trade off. I've seen players streaming with well over 6k HP, 1k damage for those casts is nothing.

If you want to combat the damage you take, just put an Enduring Cry in an empty red slot (I'm sure you have one) and just manual cast it once before you engage. I bet you spend more time doing other things than it takes to cast one Enduring Cry.

It seems they've quite reasonably scaled the gem for late game, where you're expected at around level 85-90 to have ~7k HP. When you consider the top end of damage taken is 2k to proc the gem, having 3 level 20 gems casting for free with no cost and no manual input seems fairly decent.

When I played the game during beta, it seemed difficult. I felt worried running into a pack if I didn't have all my defences up, I had to concentrate on what mobs had which mods. Since playing in the release, with the CwDT gem I've been relentless and just running around blindlessly killing things, not having to worry. Yeah this was pretty cool but honestly, made it a bit boring. I guess it's my personal playstyle if I prefer the feeling of having to concentrate to progress in a hardcore league.
IGN - Ayiza_Nemesis
"
tZork wrote:

Now its a convenience gem for already tanky builds.

Hardly so actually.

As a 'tanky build' marauder, the only real benefit this gem gave me was Molten Shell uptime.

I used endurance charge on stun anyway and manually casting EC and my Warlord's isn't that big of a deal, EC and the curse are the most unaffected for me.

But I can't use molten shell anymore, since with my defenses it detonates faster than I can cast it.

I love you GGG, but if you want to know how it feels, here's a small comparison:

You're leveling a priest in WoW and you have to recast Fortitude and Spirit on yourself with a one second cast time each after every two mobs killed.

Then Blizzard comes along, notices the problem and increases all buff durations to 30 mins.

Priests are happy now, but Rogues get to use 30 minute Adrenaline Rushes.

Blizz sees that their change broke the game and removes the buff duration, and it's back to casting those damned buffs every two mobs.

It's just not any fun.
IGN: Hauberdogken.
If you find me AFK, leave a message on the forum or add me and I'll get back to you.
Last edited by Hauberdogken on Nov 14, 2013, 8:21:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info