1.0.1 Patch Notes

"
Snuske wrote:
what everyone seems to forget is that before CODT even existed people used every single skill they have linked to that gem now ..
you wanna know the secret? click the hotkey and cast the spell yourself?
it worked before and ofc it still works now .. CODT just makes this part easier ...

yea ofc i press that skills while i fight an exile lol. if i stop attacking just for a sec, he will kill me instant.

i guess u dont play a melee, melees are again crap.
"
Snuske wrote:
what everyone seems to forget is that before CODT even existed people used every single skill they have linked to that gem now ..
it worked before and ofc it still works now .. CODT just makes this part easier ...

Before that people were mostly playing casters / ranged -__-
"Zazan":
*Cast On Damage Taken: The level requirement of gems augmented by Cast on Damage Taken may not exceed the level requirement of the Cast on Damage Taken gem.
*Fixed a bug where people logged in to play
Last edited by Jayserix on Nov 15, 2013, 10:59:13 AM
So I was originally planning to go with a CWDT build once I got up to the point of having it (and found another 4L or two), but that was because it was clearly insanely good.

This change makes sense to me. Think about it: they're basically just nerfing the gem so that offensive and defensive abilities linked to it have the same penalty (well, okay, no, offensive gems are still worse since they're level-capped AND have the % hobble), whereas only offensive gems were penalized before (by % damage reduced that improved by leveling the gem).

Honestly I think they could've just made that % damage reduction into something like "% reduced effectiveness for linked skills" so that it affected everything, rather than only damaging skills, and they'd have accomplished the same goal in a less weird way. Easier to directly tweak the gem's effectiveness that way rather than balancing it around level cutoffs for every other possible gem you'd link to it, too, I'd think.

But what do I know, I'm no game designer. Maybe that'd be silly.
Strength is found first in awareness.
Last edited by Shjade on Nov 15, 2013, 12:38:48 PM
"
Shjade wrote:
So I was originally planning to go with a CWDT build once I got up to the point of having it (and found another 4L or two), but that was because it was clearly insanely good.

This change makes sense to me. Think about it: they're basically just nerfing the gem so that offensive and defensive abilities linked to it have the same penalty (well, okay, no, offensive gems are still worse since they're level-capped AND have the % hobble), whereas only offensive gems were penalized before (by % damage reduced that improved by leveling the gem).

Honestly I think they could've just made that % damage reduction into something like "% reduced effectiveness for linked skills" so that it affected everything, rather than only damaging skills, and they'd have accomplished the same goal in a less weird way. Easier to directly tweak the gem's effectiveness that way rather than balancing it around level cutoffs for every other possible gem you'd link to it, too, I'd think.

But what do I know, I'm no game designer. Maybe that'd be silly.

while it may or may not be silly, it would certainly need a helluvalot more coding, because as far a i know, apart from damage, there isn't a single skill coded with "efficiency".

there isn't p.e. a 50% reduced effectivness enduring cry or curse or etc, so they would need to code everysingle skill to have effectivness.
You people are completely offtrack...

Some combinations were retarded and broke the game. Why on earth did the devas release it in its form without testing? The over powered combinations were blatantly obvious.

But instead of fixing those, they completely neutered the skill. People loved this gem for one reason alone... quality of life improvements. You try casting molten shell, enduring cry, rejuv totem every single encounter for a couple of years and then tell me you don't want some sort of auto cast implemented.

Skilled developers test things thoroughly before implementation. Skilled developers always FIX things, not nerf. And they sure as hell don't change an item everyone has built their char around MID season, completely ruining characters in the middle of the new leagues.
IGN: Narbays
"
shroudb wrote:
while it may or may not be silly, it would certainly need a helluvalot more coding, because as far a i know, apart from damage, there isn't a single skill coded with "efficiency".

there isn't p.e. a 50% reduced effectivness enduring cry or curse or etc, so they would need to code everysingle skill to have effectivness.

Ah, probably a good point. In my non-programmer brain it sounded simple enough to just slap a modifier on, say, Molten Shell to have it provide %X less armor or enduring cry produce X% fewer charges...but it's not like the gems would police themselves to make that work. xD
Strength is found first in awareness.
"
Comply_cat_Ed wrote:
"
Jakabov wrote:
You really need to address how absolutely horrible the facilities for manual casting of utility spells are if you want to take away the thing that fixed that problem. CwDT is universally loved not because it's a bit overpowered but because it takes away the unbearable burden it was to constantly cast curses, Enduring Cry, Molten Shell etc., especially on characters without faster cast gear/passives.

People were finally enthusiastic about the long-suffering melee gameplay and then you choose to nerf this in a way that completely negates most of its purpose. It should be possible to nerf it in a way that doesn't feel like you finally got a splint on your broken limb only to promptly have it forcefully ripped off again.

CwDT's ability to automate your curse and Molten Shell does not enable some new, previously unavailable power, it just made it bearable where it previously wasn't. Molten Shell has always been available but most ignored it because it's *too fucking irritating to use manually.* The power to spam it was already there, it was just so annoying that people chose not to.

CwDT does not override cooldowns or make skills more powerful, it just relieved a burden so heavy that it previously made most players opt out. Surely nobody can claim that curses and MS are inherently overpowered and should not be usable often -- they always were. CwDT doesn't allow you to do something you couldn't do before, it just removes a problem so big that people solved it by refraining from using some of their skills.

Wouldn't it have been better to, say, implement an internal cooldown for each individual spell linked to CwDT and applying part of their mana cost when triggered? Surely the problem isn't that level 20 MS is too powerful or that the game is too easy when mobs are consistently affected by your curse of choice. If that were the case, people would be using MS and Hex Master in every build.

If you insist on restoring the excessive chore of manually casting several utility spells, you should acknowledge that it *was* too much of a chore before and alleviate the burden somewhat. Perhaps make it so casting a non-damage spell doesn't take a full second for builds in the bottom half of the skill tree. Maybe make it so a higher-level curse doesn't cost like 70 mana, an amount that many builds don't even have available now that auras reserve so much mana that just two of them will take upwards of 90% of your total even when linked to Reduced Mana.

Enduring Cry, paradoxically the one utility skill that wasn't unreasonably steep and cumbersome to use before CwDT, is the only one largely unaffected since its usefulness isn't completely hosed by having to use a low-level gem because using a high-level CwDT is basically out of the question as it tragicomically remains the one skill gem in the game that gets worse as you level it up. The skill that remains useful with CwDT is the one skill that didn't need automation.

Please find a different way to accomplish what CwDT did. It made the game so much better.

Also:

________________________________________________________________________________
Sir, I have good and bad news.
The good news is: Our initative "BANANA ON DAMAGE TAKEN" has proven to be really popular. High concentrations of vitamines, sugar and trace elements have severly increased the survivability of our community.
Especially the formerly unpopular scurvy- and famine-ridden melee fighter caste has recieved an influx of applicants related to the healthiness of the banana initiative.
The banana has become a vital aspect of almost every citizens life.

And the bad news?

Well, people are becoming too dependend on bananas. Also they are eating them in their firm and tasty yellow-almost-green state instead of waiting until they get brown and squishy, as we intended them to be eaten. People could get fat and lazy if they rely too much on bananas.
And worst of all: They would enjoy it!

We can't let that happen! What should we do?

Well, we should increase the appeal to let the bananas age before consumption by somehow removing the squishy treats of the mature state. And maybe we can inject the fresh bananas with a slight bitter aroma which fades over time.
People would have the choice between immediate consumption at a price or higher enjoyment at a later time.

Nonsense! We need to act fast! Extract most of the nutrients and re-inject them only if someone presents a squishy banana!

But what about all the people who are dependend on ready-to-eat-bananas? What about the melee caste? Should they go back to growing spinach with one hand while slaying dragons with the other?

Damn right. Send them a box of eye-patches so they can be scurvy-pirates.

But sir, there will be a lot of complaints!
What about the ongoing campaign against evil? Whole platoons dependent on bananas will become inoperable because of malnourishment in the middle of the campaign!

Shut up landlubber or I'll have ye keelhauled! Arrrrr
________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, seriously. Cast On Damage Taken was OP, but this nerf is ridiculous and comes to the most mistimed moments of all.
It wouldn't have hurt to properly rethink the CODT mechanic before issuing a destruction patch of doom.
Just my opinion.

These guys made the best points so far. I don't understand why did they introduce and then nerf the gem that fixed Melee.
IGN: StN_
Last edited by StN on Nov 15, 2013, 8:57:57 PM
"
StN wrote:
These guys made the best points so far. I don't understand why did they introduce and then nerf the gem that fixed Melee.

Probably because of all the ways this gem was exploitable to free autocast insane spells such as Discharge.

They should just have made it that supported gems deal no damage AND have a cd of 1-1.5s.

I would say more than 1.5 but my lvl 18 molten shell detonates even faster than that.

That being said, I would also take a change that allows MS to stick past its explosion, or any way to keep it up. I've noticed people saying it's a hassle to cast (and it is), but mine detonates faster than I can recast it because of my armour, Endurance Charges and Granites.

I don't really miss CwDT as much as I miss simply being able to use molten shell.

Oh yeah, and dischargers found a way to get past this. Some guy linked both CwDT and Cast when Stunned to discharge and is killing Dominus without manually casting even a spell.
IGN: Hauberdogken.
If you find me AFK, leave a message on the forum or add me and I'll get back to you.
"
Snuske wrote:

No, many didn't bother with Molten Shell and sometimes even cursing for certain builds since it's just too annoying to do manually. Casting Molten Shell without any faster cast gear/passives is simply too slow to be worth doing in combat. Many builds could easily have been using it but players chose not to because it's just too irritating to cast so many utility spells manually, and when players of an ARPG are giving up freely available power because it's too annoying to use, it's a sure sign that there's a design problem.
http://youtu.be/cTXJSRgcrvU

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info