Dec 18: 1h Solo Cut-throat

If I open a portal, will someone else in my instance be able to use that portal?
Last edited by bumbaloe on Dec 14, 2012, 7:39:13 PM
I love how the devs are catering to a lot of different playstyles, since the kind of player who would normally enjoy permanent cut-throat is generally considered a niche market.

A few things about this event:

"
Chris wrote:
  • If you attempt to abruptly leave the game in a non-town instance, you have to wait 5 seconds and are unable to move or use flasks.

Will taking damage reset the 5 second timer? I personally think it should, since it's almost as good as a free Portal Scroll otherwise (assuming the opponent can't kill you in under 5 seconds, which is certainly plausible). It also seems like it should be a longer delay (maybe 10 seconds). I could see a lot of situations in a permanent league where 5 seconds would be enough time to escape an instance before the opponents even engaged you (which doesn't seem like something you should be able to do for free, Portal Scroll should be a highly valued commodity).

Will manually disconnecting (unplugging your ethernet cable) cause your character to go link-dead instead of instantly disappearing from the world? If not, this is going to be a huge problem in a hyper-competitive environment. If people can hit a button on an ethernet switch to guarantee all their items are always 100% safe, they will, guaranteed.

There should never be any potential benefit from unplugging your ethernet cable.

"
Chris wrote:
  • The grace period of invulnerability upon entering an area is 10 seconds.

Will this end early if the invulnerable player deals damage to someone or picks up an item? I hope so.

"
Khargan wrote:
But discussing this with a few friends we reached an alternative solution that might prove even more interesting and actually enhance the cut-throat feel of the league.

The suggestion is simple: Permit partying, but enable friendly fire.

This is exactly what I came here to say. Excellent idea.

Force all players to always be hostile to one another, even when in a party. However, party members should look different on the minimap, and share the things they normally share.

In fact, if you want a mechanic that will further balance high level players against low level players:

• Non-party members do not show up on your map if they are more than 5 levels below your level. In cases where you are in a party, it determines this using your party's combined level instead of your level. If one person shows up on your map, all members of their party also show up.

That's just one idea being thrown out there, but I think giving lower level players less visibility is a good way to help lower level players stay off the radar, assuming it even becomes necessary to do so. It doesn't reduce the danger present, but it does give them more options for avoiding it.

"
I would hope that there are specific, level locked instances to prevent level 30s from killing level 3s.

I would hope that there aren't. It's not okay for a level 30 to kill a level 3, but it's okay for ten level 30s to kill one level 30? I don't see much of a difference.

And I'm not complaining. This is what makes cut-throat so exciting.

The danger of being found and killed by someone who can completely decimate you is what makes it exciting. Having to be ready at a moment's notice to flee, not knowing if the player approaching you is a level 2 wandering around or a level 20 planning to kill you on sight.

Everyone is thrown into the same harsh world, on the same playing field. If you are scared of higher level players invading your instance, you can get other higher level players to party with you, or be extra careful in your instances, or play one of the many other leagues available.

People should not expect cut-throat to be balanced toward fair 1v1 fights, because it isn't designed to be, and that's exactly what makes the league unique and appealing. Not every person has to enjoy every league, nor is it likely they will. This is why different leagues exist, to satisfy the different tastes of different players.

"
bumbaloe wrote:
If I open a portal, will someone else in my instance be able to use that portal?

That's a good question.
"
AzraelX wrote:
Will manually disconnecting (unplugging your ethernet cable) cause your character to go link-dead instead of instantly disappearing from the world? If not, this is going to be a huge problem in a hyper-competitive environment. If people can hit a button on an ethernet switch to guarantee all their items are always 100% safe, they will, guaranteed.

There should never be any potential benefit from unplugging your ethernet cable.

Theyll stand there doing nothing for 6 seconds then get booted for not responding to the server.
IGN: KoTao
4:00 am - 5:00 am, +4 GMT
No love for Russia?

Anyway, in that case, I'm not going to sleep.

"
AzraelX wrote:

"
Chris wrote:
  • The grace period of invulnerability upon entering an area is 10 seconds.

Will this end early if the invulnerable player deals damage to someone or picks up an item? I hope so.

It ends if you try to do any active action. Movement, item pickup, skill usage, attack, etc..
But if you load fast enough, you can stand still and study the battlefield without being hit. And decide, will it be safe enough to participate or you should catch a moment and get out.

"
AzraelX wrote:

"
Khargan wrote:
But discussing this with a few friends we reached an alternative solution that might prove even more interesting and actually enhance the cut-throat feel of the league.

The suggestion is simple: Permit partying, but enable friendly fire.

This is exactly what I came here to say. Excellent idea.

Force all players to always be hostile to one another, even when in a party. However, party members should look different on the minimap, and share the things they normally share.

No way, please. Solo Cut-Throat should exist. With trade disabled, ofc.
On the other hand, the rule you posted can exist in non-Solo Cut-Throat. But it will be extra-hard then. It is difficult to judge from my point, I'm not a game-dev.
Hateful post.
Last edited by Kaskar on Dec 16, 2012, 3:21:41 AM
"
Kaskar wrote:
No way, please. Solo Cut-Throat should exist. With trade disabled, ofc.
On the other hand, the rule you posted can exist in non-Solo Cut-Throat. But it will be extra-hard then. It is difficult to judge from my point, I'm not a game-dev.
Dont be silly =P, disbling trade in a cut-throat race is redundant because you can just enter eachothers instances (I.E Impossible to disable)
This is going to be a permanent league eventually. My comments were regarding mechanics to that end, not this race in particular.
"
Metronomy wrote:
Dont be silly =P, disbling trade in a cut-throat race is redundant because you can just enter eachothers instances (I.E Impossible to disable)

I am not silly, sometimes I just can't catch the idea.
But afaik GGG will disable trade in Solo Races soon, I dunno was PvP or PvE was meant.
"
AzraelX wrote:
My comments were regarding mechanics to that end, not this race in particular.

I misread. But anyway, Solo CT league will be nice too, in addition to standart CT.
Hateful post.
"
People should not expect cut-throat to be balanced toward fair 1v1 fights, because it isn't designed to be, and that's exactly what makes the league unique and appealing. Not every person has to enjoy every league, nor is it likely they will. This is why different leagues exist, to satisfy the different tastes of different players.

These leagues get better and better
Just realized I can't make it. Final at this time. Damn it all.
Current IGN: twitchtvTheuberelite

http://twitch.tv/theuberelite - I stream sometimes.
what time would this event start in canada... yhea dumb question i know lol
Last edited by Thechoosen on Dec 16, 2012, 2:24:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info