Dec 18: 1h Solo Cut-throat

"
Desbris wrote:
But the whole progression concept is kind of stupid, i don't understand why people would play the majority of the race farming for 90% only to do 5 mins of pvp, anyone can do that.

^this

"
AzraelX wrote:
Some people here miss the point of Cut-throat. If you don't like getting ganked then look forward to every other form of PvP in the game. This isn't for you.

Definition of "ganked"? Smashed into splints by 10 lvl char being 5 lvl? Ok it's not for me then.

"
AzraelX wrote:
As for level differences, it wasn't much of an issue. Escaping from higher level players was incredibly easy.

Sup, Flicker Strike, dead.

"
AzraelX wrote:
There should not be level restrictions, obviously; it would reduce the players you have to interact with, and becoming less vulnerable and more dangerous is the main drive for progressing.

Yes, maybe it is too harsh penalty.

"
AzraelX wrote:
There are so many better ways to lessen the gap between players of differing levels, which have been mentioned earlier in the thread, that this should never even be considered.

Something needs to be done, though.
Hateful post.
"
Ostbit wrote:
would be fun to see k/d for all the players :)

That would be a pretty sweet feature. I have to say I doubt many topped Kripp's 61 Kills, 0 Deaths. It was pretty lulz to watch! Man that would have sucked being chased by someone with that BEAST two hander and flicker strike.

Insane One Hour Cut Throat Round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96oC-Fjj2Mg

Last edited by skyelar on Dec 19, 2012, 6:42:20 AM
"
Kaskar wrote:
"
AzraelX wrote:
Some people here miss the point of Cut-throat. If you don't like getting ganked then look forward to every other form of PvP in the game. This isn't for you.

Definition of "ganked"? Smashed into splints by 10 lvl char being 5 lvl? Ok it's not for me then.

It was originally used to abbreviate "gang killed", and now means any PvP situation where one side kills the other side while benefiting from an advantage so significant that they can't lose.

In these situations, it's generally the target's goal to escape combat without dying, rather than to fight.

So yes, a high level player killing a low level player would be an example of ganking. It's the same thing if a group of 6 attack a solo player, or if a player waits until you're at low life to attack you.

The ability to engage other players with this level of freedom (open world PvP) is the big attraction in Cut-throat.

"
Kaskar wrote:
"
AzraelX wrote:
As for level differences, it wasn't much of an issue. Escaping from higher level players was incredibly easy.

Sup, Flicker Strike, dead.

You should keep your map open and a portal ready.

If you really have a huge issue with attackers closing the distance on you, you should consider getting some defensive skills, like Decoy Totem, which is particularly effective against Flicker Strike. You should also reconsider your strategy for progressing in levels; the method I was using guaranteed I was always 100% safe.

When deciding where to level, important factors to take into account regarding safety are the number of entrances, your position in relation to those entrances, the existence of a waypoint, and the frequency of players normally entering that area.
Last edited by AzraelX on Dec 19, 2012, 11:23:30 AM
@AzraelX

Your arguments are so solid although they sound "l2p" for me. Heh.. I will.
Thanks for guidance.

PS: from that point no restriction needed. But some people are too damn pro while others noo.. I mean not so good. There is a gap not in levels. It exists in game skill, that's it.
Hateful post.
Last edited by Kaskar on Dec 20, 2012, 1:58:43 AM
Also, there could be an EXP penalty in cutthroat for going a period without engaging a player, basically the longer you go without killing someone the more experience penalty is placed on you, meaning if you were just to progress it would actually be detrimental to your character in comparison to someone who is constantly fighting and killing players.

There also could be diminishing returns for killing the same person over and over, this would also stop exploits such as multiple accounts, friends assisting in deaths etc etc.

Even with those two things in place you technically could even run a short hardcore cutthroat event, along with some additional tweaks.
"
Desbris wrote:
Also, there could be an EXP penalty in cutthroat for going a period without engaging a player, basically the longer you go without killing someone the more experience penalty is placed on you, meaning if you were just to progress it would actually be detrimental to your character in comparison to someone who is constantly fighting and killing players.

It's not fair to penalize players who successfully avoid conflict. We were just discussing legitimate strategies involved in staying safe, and being able to make a build that centers around self-preservation should always be a viable option.

The issue isn't that it's too easy to avoid conflict, it's that it's too easy to escape conflict after it's initiated; with log-outs/disconnects/portals working the way they do, there's no risk involved in any fight.

Having log-out/disconnect make your character link-dead instead of disappearing would largely solve this issue.

"
Desbris wrote:
There also could be diminishing returns for killing the same person over and over, this would also stop exploits such as multiple accounts, friends assisting in deaths etc etc

Well, there's already diminishing returns, in the sense that you can't steal EXP that the other player doesn't lose, which is everything below their current level.

I'm guessing your concern is that a higher level player can earn 30% EXP toward his next level, then give it to a low level player by dying purposely. If this is the issue, it seems the simplest way to stop it is to cap the maximum EXP which can be gained by a player (perhaps 30% of the total for your own current level; that way you can't make excessive profit off a single higher level person).

I wouldn't really mind this restriction personally, since it'd prevent easy leveling. The downside is that leveling would potentially take some people longer, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.
"
Desbris wrote:

That is REALLY a good idea. It will prevent 55min farming and 5min destroying of everything. That scenario will be still viable but balanced though. Cut-Throat is PvP, not PvE.
Hateful post.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info