Some notes on balance - part 1.

"
"
Inexium wrote:
Taking the time to answer the questions the community are having is pretty "epic"

Now you should give every player the feeling that he matters : What about expanding friend list ? Here :
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/453695 ( or at least the few players who commented on that thread)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/456572

On topic
________

Amazing read, thanks for time it took from you.

Please don't come in here trying to push your inane agenda on friends lists that literally noone is interested in but yourself. protip, when you are the only person responding to your threads they probably aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Okay, as you wish.
Anarchy/Onslaught T-Shirt Owner.
Trading Guide : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/519890
Killing Vaal merc with (600 life) : http://is.gd/qsgV9P [Open Beta]
Let's be Crazy: http://is.gd/TxxLsS / Old Suggestion: http://is.gd/Jd09W0
<< God blesses those who bless themselves >>
I actually agree with Hilbert's post and the vast majority of the points he brings up.

Armor should do something extra, and it's time the highway tax nodes got a revisit. Build diversity is further exacerbated when the climb from lvl 80+ slows down to a crawl.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
I feel like hand picking a few points people have made so far that I think are really outstanding and gonna expand on them. This thread created a dialouge!

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

The trick here is build dependence. Every rule should have an exception which can turn a great passive into something that's skipped, or a good rare affix into a bad one.

PoE is currently rampant with "best choices" which are not build dependent in any way. Which means: the number of new decisions to make after an initial process of trial and error is surprisingly shallow on some fronts, despite being deep in others.

First of all, THIS.

"
I agree with this... to an extent. However, the problem was not just Kaom's heart or 800+ ES chests (or 700+ es shields, or 400+ es circlets). It was that stacking life was strictly superior to every other defensive option in the game, with energy shield being a close second with CI or Shavronne's. Not that this has been solved, mind you - given the choice between 8% more life or 30% more armor on my facebreaker, I'll take the 8% more life pretty much every time. This is more of a systemic problem with how damage works in the game.

This is what I think is damaging the game most. Stats that are necessary and plain better than others. Having 3 difference defenses feels fairly pointless when the difference between armour and evasion is already negligable and neither is of use without a base EHP. There's enough spike damage in the game to make the only way to avoid eventual death to be stacking EHP. And no one wants to put weeks into a character, get into maps, then realise they simply can't survive long enough to level up anymore.

The similarity between ES and life is leading to ES gear becoming the new life roll on items which again is messing up build choices. SL4YER has posted a lot about the effect zealots oath, ghost reaver and the missing downside of vaal pact when using ES has caused this similarity and how its bringing the game down and I think he's absolutely right.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
This stuff also has economic implications. For example, the way that currency are build-independent (equal need for affixes/sockets/links regardless of build) has led to geenerally established exchange rates, breaking GGG's goals regarding trade parity in the in-game economy; this in turn leads to "gold farmers," streamlined botting, and therefore streamlined RMT. It is my belief that all items in PoE should either find a way to become build-dependent (for example, putting implicit mods favoring one build over another on maps and ensuring at least two types of maps available at each level), or find a way to become non-tradeable (I consider orbs-as-currency to be a failed experiment; they should be account-bound until consumed).

The point of items being build-independant is a big one to me. That alone made me want to quote this.

Though if orbs were account bound, you'd just get people trading uniques and gems as currency instead. As good as that would be, eventually there'd be a poeex for gems that would still control the hivemind, as finding the one guy who will give you the most for your items is better than just getting what you want faster, to most people. Gems and gear are also permanent and will never eventually be consumed like orbs, leading to inflation. Orbs as currency is in fact an amazing success, thanks to their consumption controlling inflation.
The only problem is that incredibly rare orbs such as exalts are so rare that they're usually just traded between people rather than actually used, due to this they act as a benchmark for trading endgame items. No one has ever said "WTS shavronnes for 50 chaos" when they know getting the equivalent exalted orb to trade with is better.

I'd actually really love it if orbs became account bound after a while just to force people to actually use the things or make less than perfect deals. There needs to be pressure for players to trade without playing wall street, I think. Plus a dynamic of how many hours of tradability left on an orb would throw a wrench in generalised prices :)

"
Powertrip wrote:
Throwing currency chances at an item in the hope of a favourable stat roll, imo, undos the experience of planning a build. I don't feel rewarded if I chaos an item and get good stats, I do not feel as if my spike in power is as a result of my gaming skill or build map, i just feel lucky. Neither does giving a guy from trade chat a few chaos for an item make me feel any kind or reward for my skill or decision making.

One the one hand, yes, a passive build is a question of intellect and the ability to see patterns in the multiplying of damage and defense.

On the other hand, the acquisition and crafting of gear boils down to whether momma needs a new pair of tights.

Does not compute to me.

Scrotie's point pretty much nailed this. Passives aren't noticable on a character unless your gear is good enough for your passives to work, while unlinked skills are always going to be useless. There's base increases to life and mana from passives and attributes but no base increases to any form of damage or defenses.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I really hope that GGG can take "decisions matter" to the next level, and start thinking two — or perhaps even three or four — iterations ahead. Although only the insane would doubt the dedication of the GGG staff, I sometimes have very deep doubts about their strategic planning.

Finally, THIS.

Oh and I could quote all of hilberts post too, it's not the most thorough post but it's definitely honest and pretty much the truth.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Carl, sick fucking post. You're:

The chance to Vaal +1% maximum resists on an amulet is less than 1/300.
Last edited by Daresso on Jul 18, 2013, 1:06:54 PM
Oh and about the totem talk: If enemies ignored totems more, totem duration was shortened, summon speed increased and the totems stats were scaled off player stats then I think they'd be not only easier to use for more players but those using them to tank would feel a hit if their character is forgoing defenses.

Then there could be a melee hulk totem with a much more effective scaling so melee chars would get tankier totems :)
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Last edited by Wooser69 on Jul 18, 2013, 1:20:38 PM
i have to be blunt:

in all that text (that is a very interesting read) there is nothing that makes me NOT think this:

you, GGG and in effect PoE, are hostages to few items
. kaoms, lioneyes, soon Auxium and Soul Taker, shavrones.. items that you let slip trough your alpha testers (that seem to be of not much use given number of hotfixes after 0.11.1 containing stuff more than abvious)

these items, not changed because of some obscure reasons, make you change entire passive tree and turn the game inside out. it is as if you have a contract with diamond maker that under no circumstances item is to change. if so - i wish you all good luck!

other reason might be the obvious truth - RMT is strong in this game. very strong. so strong that it affects design decisions. existence of absurdly overpowered items is what drives people to RMT. if max item prices were around 4-5ex people would have a fighting chance to buy stuff legitimately. 25ex per soul taker of shavrones makes it easier to just buy exalteds using well known methods. many did. almost noone got banned.

just tell us why you are hostages to these items - this long text cleverly avoids this issue and tries to dissolve it among other, minor stuff
"
sidtherat wrote:
items that you let slip trough your alpha testers

Just a note: alpha testers do not get any say in uniques.
They're a surprise to us as they are to beta at large.
my bad. so they are not even alpha tested? great... stuff slipping by is a human error, not testing at all is something completely different
"
Hilbert wrote:
"
For them to be important, the items your character wears need to matter. We don't want items to be strictly tiered and transitive in nature. In many games, you want the gear for your class, and then you want to keep upgrading the tier of those items, until you get the maximum tier item for your character. While this does work for those very character-centred games, in Path of Exile we want the items to take more of the limelight. Items are not just supporting pieces to a class progression you walk through.

We want items to have intransitive relationships, as well as transitive ones. Intransitive means that the items are not comparable by strictly looking for bigger numbers. Rock-paper-scissors is a game with intransitive relationships between the moves, as opposed to a game where a bigger number always wins. So, for intransitive relationships between gear, sometimes we will want an item with smaller numbers for specific purposes. The answer I most like to see to the question “Which of these two items should I wear?” is “It depends.”

Sadly you fail in that case. Especially on weapon based characters.
The only thing you do in PoE during progress is to switch the weapon till you reach a high level so you can use the fastest weapon on elemental damage builds or a mid speed high damage weapons on physical builds.

For example elemental damage is 3 times stronger than physical damage there isn't any drawback faster weapons. You use the DPS system which is bad.
You should switch to an absolute damage system and weapons should have something like an effectivity multiplier.
Meaning slow weapons do far more damage than a fast weapon on hit, or even increase ailmentduration/stun.
Fast weapons should have a lower chance on ailments and possibly less effectivity.

Same thing goes for Armors. The Movementspeed not affected by armor multiplier should be kicked.
Heavy armors(Defense only) should reduce the crit multiplier.
Light Armors(evasion) should reduce the crit chance.

Hybrid armors should have got lower drawbacks in terms in movementspeed their base values should be increased but they don't affect crit multipliers/chances at all.

"
(1) Decisions matter. You can make your character better by making better decisions about its build. As this is possible, you make your character worse by the decisions you make. So, in this case, balance isn't about making everything equal. Having decisions matter means that randomly built characters tend to be much weaker than ones that are well thought out. (Although, it should be noted that we want to make it easy for people to see what they need for their character, and have early paths of strength obvious).

And here the "unlimited amount" of builds fails.
At the moment you only aim for certain nodes on the shortest path.
I am missing bigger ideas on the skill tree such as heavily connected skillwheels so you don't end up on a highway and take all good nodes on the path.
Imo there should be far less Highwaynodes(but bigger ones) and the concentration should be based in linked skill wheels.

"
Synergistic options. These create a great deal of potential for making a good character by choice. The game system has to allow for different things to work together in positive ways. This makes balance more difficult, as things cannot be balanced in a vacuum.

If I say I want to play a melee bow hybrid the idea is screwed from the start because the damage nodes are mainly for all types of weapons instead of 1 handed and 2 handed damage.
Also most nodes become unimportant if you aim for high crit/AoE.

"
Build versatility and emergence. We want players to have lots of tools available to them, and we want them to be able to be combined in different ways. A player has access to gear stats, skills, supports, keystones and flasks, all with interacting elements. This gives a lot of flexibility, and leads to players being able to discover emergent things that had not been considered. We design to make this possible. We try to make things in a way that allows for interesting things to happen. Things would be much easier to balance if we restricted players’ options.

There is no versaitility if you keep certains skills and combinations more powerful than others.
For example projectiles spells will always be better than non projectile spells because projectile spells are affected by far more gems.
This weakness created insane combinations like Hatred EK/BT-Added Fire + other gems.
There should be more strict rules to keep damages in balance.

"
As the game has this kind of emergence, many of our balance decisions have to be reactive. We have to react to balance problems that crop up due to how the game is played. This is not the only way we balance, but it has to be a factor. If something becomes too dominant, it has to be addressed.

You do that much faster than stuff that becomes totally unused.

"
An example of something that needed to be balanced after being introduced would be the first versions of multistrike

Multistrike has a heavy drawback that it is not interruptable.
That was a heavy drawback to Zeal the 1.02 D2 because if you skilled it too much you had 26 hits not interruptable(enjoy Iron maided) so blizz changed it to max 5.
I would even suggest a similar change to D2. Add 1 attack ever 2 levels, reduce the effectivity every 5 levels and boost the damage and speed every levels.

"
(and multicast),

What are you talking about? Do you mean Fork/Chain/LMP/GMP?

"
An example of us not buffing something "known to be weak" is Eldritch Battery. We had players demanding this be strengthened for a long time, but we did not change it, as we had seen it being used well. In the last few months, the community view of the power of this Keystone has basically reversed with no change to it. Burn damage also fits this; we were told for a long time that it was the worst status ailment, and that it needed to be buffed. We knew it was strong, and did not change it. Over time, it has gone from being considered very weak to very strong without us changing it. All that changed was the discovery of its usefulness.

Eldricht Battery is only used because your manasystem is abysmal rendering into 3 casts no mana skills on 5-6 link.

The burndamage was demanded because a majority of skills don't deal big fire damage to much fire damage but many minor hits like Inferno, Firestorm, Righteus Fire.

"
Build-based characters, not class-based. The synergistic options and versatility and decisions mattering are things we value. They don't make things that easy. The freedom players have in making their characters makes it very easy for players to converge on imbalances in the game. Very slight imbalances between options can result in characters gravitating to very similar builds very quickly. We work to avoid that, but our players are very canny. We are sometimes told that there are only a very few builds that work in high-level play, but when we look at high-level characters, there are more builds represented here than in many similar games. However, when players do converge on similar options, we need to make changes that can be less than popular.

Our players usually start our game thinking in terms of the class they choose first, and then work out what builds they can do. After playing for a while, they start to think in terms of build, and then work out which class best supports the build they want to make. Because of these two styles of play, it changes how we approach balance changes to the passive tree.

Really?
If I look in terms of progression speed I would rather start as Templar Duelist and Ranger than Mara, Shadow and Witch.
In the end it doesn't matter much but in terms of wasted time it matters really much.
And one reason I hate Endgame is the far too slow gameplay.
I don't want to infest more than 10h for a level 70 character but PoE pushes it to 20h+ even with rushing that's horribly MMO strategy.

Pretty much nailed it. With 6 property's on items and most builds needing 4 property's to even be usable you a really shooting customization in the foot. Also as stated traversing from area to area is not seamless, Every single +10 str/int/dext node costs us a level. We have 6 extra points from quests per difficulty and this is very helpful but have you seen the highway system? I have a character who will not be off the highway until he is in his 60s because he needs iron reflexes, Unwavering stance and then the elemental damage nodes on the other side of the tree.

I'm choosing to do all of this traveling just so I can run CI because a life build would need all of those nodes aswell except at least the points I put into int help my es in the end. So hopefully I can get this guy to level 60 with enough damage to even kill things at that point because there is no other way to do it. I doubt he is even going to live till 60 without points that increase his damage or armor...
I think these videos hold some relevance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxszx60ZwGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRBcjsOt0_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EitZRLt2G3w

Your uniques as of late (shavs, kaoms, etc) that completely obliterate the metagame by being far and away more powerful than anything else aren't helping.

/sensible posting

>rant posting

I'd comment on builds but I've not yet found a character build that doesn't die to everything without flask spamming. My latest templar seems alright, I've been told to ignore almost all damage nodes and go for life nodes, resist nodes, etc. So it seems the game hasn't changed from the path of lifenodes pre patch but whatever.

On that note, perhaps the devs should jump in and discuss their own build ideas or something? Dabble in the metagame themselves, or perhaps just teach those of us who haven't played d2 for decades how to be good at the game and/or get good drops if we hate partying with people.
And the next person that suggests I watch kripp's videos is going to get a facebreaker to the nose as soon as the game drops me one.

/bedtime

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info