Some notes on balance - part 1.

"
Wooser69 wrote:
Spoiler
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
This stuff also has economic implications. For example, the way that currency are build-independent (equal need for affixes/sockets/links regardless of build) has led to geenerally established exchange rates, breaking GGG's goals regarding trade parity in the in-game economy; this in turn leads to "gold farmers," streamlined botting, and therefore streamlined RMT. It is my belief that all items in PoE should either find a way to become build-dependent (for example, putting implicit mods favoring one build over another on maps and ensuring at least two types of maps available at each level), or find a way to become non-tradeable (I consider orbs-as-currency to be a failed experiment; they should be account-bound until consumed).

The point of items being build-independant is a big one to me. That alone made me want to quote this.
Though if orbs were account bound, you'd just get people trading uniques and gems as currency instead. As good as that would be, eventually there'd be a poeex for gems that would still control the hivemind, as finding the one guy who will give you the most for your items is better than just getting what you want faster, to most people. Gems and gear are also permanent and will never eventually be consumed like orbs, leading to inflation. Orbs as currency is in fact an amazing success, thanks to their consumption controlling inflation.
Kind of. Newly created leagues (such as Anarchy/Onslaught in their second iteration) would begin with a gem-based economy, then quickly transition to a map-based economy, since the demand for maps is always pretty strong in a developed economy, and they are consumable and thus would be the natural choice as the most inflation-resistant option. With implicit mods on those maps, valuation would be interesting, much like it is for gems. High-quality gems would likely continue to have relevance for trading among/with pre-map characters.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 18, 2013, 4:46:58 PM
So is the balance aspect going to look at the life/CI balance, or lack of?

As has been pointed out, aside from Kaom's Heart making life reasonable, it just doesn't compare to CI, which can get the same defensive strength with far fewer nodes and less extreme gear.

Case in point, Kaom's Heart has 1000hp, you can fairly easily roll an es chest with 800es, plus several other stats, plus sockets. The nerf to life nodes seems a little too harsh as far as I'm concerned.
FiftyShadesOfBlade
what I dont like about changes is that nerfs has been hitting me a lot and it sure makes my build more gear dependent as the time goes by, and many of powerful builds are surely gear dependent, i dont want this game to be something like "you have to use this build in order to not be gear dependent and do well"

and after that you build the character that is very vaible but gets nerfed and have to have specific gear to support it= have to make new character and do the bandit choices from scratch to be level 80+ again!

like people said with eldritch battery build being weaker, and inneforece being nerfed, there really is no point of going for aura build now, as I did have aura build, and even with lots of auras it was still "alright"

nerfs I have been hit with

*life node nerfs
*energy shield nerfs
*iron reflex nerfs
*innerforce nerfs
*catalyze nerfs

so i got hit by 5 nerfs that effected many things of my build.

and my friends are like "why do you even go for auras when the nerfs hit hard?

and I am starting to want to build low life builds but I am afraid that it would hit a nerf and slowly but surely it makes me want to wait for game to go on release.
My Craft Logs-thread/359202
Last edited by Galneryus on Jul 18, 2013, 6:19:29 PM

All I can say is, that PoE is a very good game but it feels never ever balanced for "Single Player/Selffound" experience (which I mostly do). You will have a very hard time with PoE if you don't trade or grind endless high level maps with a strong party, even in softcore (which is already hardcore enough for my taste ^^).
Actualy, most people that are not Kripparrian will have a hard time with PoE. :D
Yes, it should not be a "casual" game but some game mechanics should be rethinked, especialy how "normal" players can craft decent gear without using trading or wasting a gazillion orbs for 5l items.

Ther is still some room for improvements imho.
Last edited by Fusion_Power on Jul 18, 2013, 6:46:51 PM
I think "balancing" the game is by changing time to time which items/keystones/life/ES is better. It makes player to create a character which he may or may not played before. For example, recently CI vaal pact is quite famous after the life nerf. Who knows that maybe life got a better buff and make life build better than CI build. And this is the time people play life build character again =) just my thought
IGN : SpectralDemigod , ScytheDemiGod
Thanks for the info. I like the way PoE is fine tuning and expect that it will all come together. Cheers!
"Truth be told, I have no idea what the fuck is going on anymore." Stephen Hawkins
"
Qarl wrote:

I’ll talk more about passive tree balance and development in a followup post.

Thanks for posting and am looking forward to reading the passive tree notes.

Quarls' post explains nicely why closed beta was a far superior game to what we have now in open beta and I've got the feeling that the passive tree notes will be further enlightening as to why POE continues to become less enjoyable (for myself) per patch.

I had hopes of custom leagues renewing my interest,but with confirmation of the game being balanced around overpowered items/gems/flasks rather than passives,self found no drop leagues would be painfully tedious/unenjoyable.

Game balance is being tweaked around end game uniques in a game that has no developed end game yet.GGG yourselves had said on many occasions that maps are a placeholder.

Gear (quality gems,item mods,flasks)is more important than the passive tree,without the gear,there is no character build.I can get to maps with a crappy passive layout,so long as I have fantastic gear,and how that gear is being appropriated by quite some number of players is questionable,to say the least.

At any rate,I had fun with POE for quite some time,been around since 2010 and was lucky enough to play a great game with some great people,for that I am thankfull.

Temper

"
Temper wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:

I’ll talk more about passive tree balance and development in a followup post.

Thanks for posting and am looking forward to reading the passive tree notes.

Quarls' post explains nicely why closed beta was a far superior game to what we have now in open beta and I've got the feeling that the passive tree notes will be further enlightening as to why POE continues to become less enjoyable (for myself) per patch.

I had hopes of custom leagues renewing my interest,but with confirmation of the game being balanced around overpowered items/gems/flasks rather than passives,self found no drop leagues would be painfully tedious/unenjoyable.

Game balance is being tweaked around end game uniques in a game that has no developed end game yet.GGG yourselves had said on many occasions that maps are a placeholder.

Gear (quality gems,item mods,flasks)is more important than the passive tree,without the gear,there is no character build.I can get to maps with a crappy passive layout,so long as I have fantastic gear,and how that gear is being appropriated by quite some number of players is questionable,to say the least.

At any rate,I had fun with POE for quite some time,been around since 2010 and was lucky enough to play a great game with some great people,for that I am thankfull.

Temper

I feel this way also.
Just for information: There is another excellent thread on balance from forum moderator pneuma (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/469446).

"
Temper wrote:
GGG yourselves had said on many occasions that maps are a placeholder.

Maps are a placeholder to what? When??

I feel like this is something PoE players are just going to say for years... "Some day GGG will put in the REAL end game".

I would really like to see some kind of laid out plan from the devs on what they want the end game to be and some kind of approximate estimation on when we might see it. Will it be in Act 3X? Act 4?

Standard Forever

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info