Some notes on balance - part 1.

I wonder if this means we should be looking at a Totem\LowLife\Spork adjustment sometime soon.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
"
Morsexier wrote:
I wonder if this means we should be looking at a Totem\LowLife\Spork adjustment sometime soon.

Unfortunately, they *just* did it recently. Well, kinda recently. It didn't seem to take though.

I believe another swing is needed.
"
Rhys wrote:
"
Drystion wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
An example of something that needed to be balanced after being introduced would be the first versions of multistrike (and multicast), that dominated the game immediately after being added.

Wait, what?

Both Multistrike and Multicast were added at one point, but were so ridiculously overpowered and game-warping that they were soon removed entirely. Recently, Multistrike was brought back in a more balanced way, but Multicast remains in limbo.

Regular spells are already better than multistrike melee skills.
Qarl (Or any Dev) I hate to ask this but since its such a hot button issue right now could you comment on your design goals with uniques. Chris game his personal opinion once but maybe it will help all of the threads talking about this issue if we got some kind of official response from the devs who are the most in charge of this kind of balance.

I think the simplest way I can ask this question would be....

Are the most OP uniques in the game ones that "slipped through the cracks" as some have phrased it or are they intentionally this powerful and the community should expect plenty more of them? Are the devs worried that the majority of players will be seeking out the same uniques to complete their builds? If not then why?

Edit" Lethal Papercut did bring up uniques in his post but It was a little short so I added more here.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Jul 18, 2013, 2:34:43 AM
To a point yes. And that point is when one can actually.get an amazing weapon. Which is no easy feat.

I actually joked, somewhat, with someone earlier that I had found a lvl 8 wand that i could use in maps.

The fact that you have a level 8 wand that you actually very well could map with (albeit nowhere near optimally) screams to me "the implicits are all fucked".
"
Morsexier wrote:

Actually both Totems and Spark received nerfs on more than 1 ocasion,the problem is how multiple shocks stack making the damage completely out of control.Also how besides Spark lightning skills are very lacking in both variety and versatility.

Low Life (actually using Shavronnes) really need some serious tweaks,as it is now getting a Shavronnes armor is the goal of almost everyone in every league.To say that its completely OP would be understatement.
I really dont understand what was going on when designing Shavronnes armor,its like "hey every unique armor we made up to this point has 1 or 2 drawbacks that balance it out.Well lets not do that with this armor"
Last edited by dualestl on Jul 18, 2013, 2:43:34 AM
Should this thread be in the Development Manifesto subforum?
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
To a point yes. And that point is when one can actually.get an amazing weapon. Which is no easy feat.

I actually joked, somewhat, with someone earlier that I had found a lvl 8 wand that i could use in maps.

i thought i had the best lvl 8 wand :(

"
Xendran wrote:
The fact that you have a level 8 wand that you actually very well could map with (albeit nowhere near optimally) screams to me "the implicits are all fucked".

To expand on this - the problem this creates is that it's incredibly dispiriting to find a wand like this from Hailrake or w/e and then progress for **sixty levels** finding nothing better - note, something very like this has actually happened to two of my caster characters, it isn't an intellectual exercise.

I absolutely agree that simple progression such as WoW or other MMOs where every tier is an automatic upgrade based on numbers alone is an unhelpful mechanic in a persistent ARPG since it completely devalues everything before the current 'final' tier and encourages a race to the perceived endgame, but surely there's some middle ground where one can make a case for somewhat conservative mod roll floors (or even just an upward bias) towards later levels?

I'm not opposed to bad loot - but the scarcity of decent (not godly, or 'endgame') loot when combined with the generally poor understanding of the crafting system (a hellacious percentage of players seem to view orbs as pure currency) is driving a truly spectacular degree of inflation in the permanent leagues, and even the temp leagues are showing signs of overheating that would have the in-game Monetary Policy Board meeting to discuss a two figure rise in interest rates.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info