Some notes on balance - part 1.

"
iamstryker wrote:
"
Temper wrote:
GGG yourselves had said on many occasions that maps are a placeholder.
Maps are a placeholder to what? When??
Read this: Dev Diary: End-game Maps. There's zero indication of any kind of temporary, and you'd figure if it would be anywhere it would be there.

You, sir, have just been trolled.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 19, 2013, 2:44:51 AM
Maps are designed to be a way to gain end game Ilevel items. They have stated maps are not meant to be ran for exp. However they have not discussed where we will be farming at. Act 3x is suppose to come out at the end of anarchy/onslaught if I remember correctly and act 4 is suppose to come out one year later.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
Temper wrote:
GGG yourselves had said on many occasions that maps are a placeholder.
Maps are a placeholder to what? When??
Read this: Dev Diary: End-game Maps. There's zero indication of any kind of temporary, and you'd figure if it would be anywhere it would be there.

You, sir, have just been trolled.

That's the thing, he hasn't.

I remember distinctly, several times Chris stated this, that maps were not supposed to be the complete-

Wait, I'm remembering that in better detail now, he said maps weren't supposed to be for experience grinding, more for item hunting.

So maybe it's just a crossed signal more than a trolling attempt.
"
Ishiga25 wrote:

Wait, I'm remembering that in better detail now, he said maps weren't supposed to be for experience grinding, more for item hunting.

Yeah, that's what Chris said.
So he thought it was a genius idea to allow the best uniques to drop outside of maps, and make it so you need maps to keep up good experience, while also making said uniques better than the vast majority of rares, which negates the whole idea of "You can find the best uniques here, but the best uniques pale in comparison to the best rares, so you need maps".

So we're left with 3 options:

1. GGG Trolled us
2. GGG doesn't properly keep track of what they've said to make the proper amendments later
3. GGG can't do it properly
Last edited by Xendran on Jul 19, 2013, 3:42:51 AM
Maps are a placeholder.....for the rest of end game content that isn't even remotely finished yet,or even started as the case may be.

Maps won't be exiting the game,as they are part of the game.

I'm not trolling,lol,POE is slated for x amount of acts over three difficulties over 10 years. (iirc)

The game effectively ends around level 70-80 currently(60 for those that don't enjoy mapping endlessly) and maps were left in game and worked on to provide players content beyond that ending.

For other beta players,level 60 meant it was time to reroll to stay in the intended content bracket.Balancing a game on over leveled characters with elite gear isn't too bright.

I also like that maps are hard and should stay that way.My problem with mapping is that mechanics/content for normal gameplay gets adjusted for a totally different difficulty then standard.

Last edited by Temper on Jul 19, 2013, 4:54:50 AM
"
Xendran wrote:
So we're left with 3 options:

1. GGG Trolled us
2. GGG doesn't properly keep track of what they've said to make the proper amendments later
3. GGG can't do it properly

GGG catered to QQ'ers and increased the zone level outside maps to make it easier to farm both XP and items outside maps, like if the accessibility to sub lvl 70 maps was ever an issue for someone who invested a little of time and currency (> 70 maps are the ones which are hard to maintain).

But in reality, the problem is some of these unique are just too powerful. That and some of the mods and item level distribution is screwed, to the point that if it weren't for the XP most people would be avoiding maps. So here we are again, with an other (one more) screwed risk/reward balance in this aspect, with people with trash gear with more way more IIR farming Lunaris 3 with lowlife builds while you can be struggling doing higher content for less reward.

The addition of the ES belt and probably more uniques like that may be an incentive for more item hunting in maps in the future, but if power creep is going to be used as a balancing method, this is a bad precedent; and adding more higher BiS uniques is not the way to go anyway.

Let's be realistic, sooner or later GGG will have to solve the explicit & implicit item mods fucked up situation (with rare items and some uniques), which went places after OB started. But right now they are avoiding to fix this by doing small changes to the passive tree, something that won't work very long. There needs to be both more gradual progression of items (getting endgame wands early in the game, as some people has said; that's completely retarded, but also in endgame, there should be more of a difference in a lot of mods between getting an ilvl 62 item, an ilvl 70 item, an ilvl 75 item; and these should be more worthwile than getting an OP unique in Lunaris 3) and right incentives to run harder content to get better gear.

Then they can go back to the original idea of running other gameplay for Xp'ing if they want to keep items gated behind map content. Which wasn't a terrible idea, but obviously needs more work, as the current map system is screwed and does not reward running difficult content specially, rewards dumping a metric ton of currency to get a set of map modifiers which do NOT increase the map difficulty per se.
"
Ishiga25 wrote:

You are remembering them saying maps, or rather the map access gate, were intended to limit access to high ilvl items only.

High lvl maps offer...

XP
New content.
Challenge.
High ilvl gear.

Out of those 4, 1 is freely available to anyone by buying whites, with a handful of chaos you can have an ilvl 79 for every slot. With the 80% of highest affix (if result lower/= than base) mechanic, ilvl 79 items, rolling ilvl 79 affixes, can be BiS for a lvl 64 player.

Which means the 1 thing that was supposed to be gated is not and is available, best choice, for a character incapable of the content.. and the other 3 are gated even for lvl 90+ players.

GG.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jul 19, 2013, 6:07:22 AM
So it seems like we won't be getting any more parts. Was really looking forward to it.
"
vankeris wrote:
So it seems like we won't be getting any more parts. Was really looking forward to it.

there is still hope, is it? :)
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Part 2......

where r u....
Standard Forever

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info